Not Rank 8 Zone sense

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
arston

Re: Not Rank 8 Zone sense

Post by arston » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:04 pm

erulak wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:21 pm
I feel like this:
aside from holiday stuff
. So if gate didn't exist but things loaded like they do "from holiday stuff", it'd be worth the risk of walking around and playing the game rather than teleporting from one location to the next?
Virtually the only reward in standard smobs is to reequip basics or help new players. Teleporting around just cuts out the walking, cuts out the people afk'ing randomly one after another, cuts out some of the risk of moving slow with people who dont know what they are doing.

It doesnt even save any risk from top-tier players. I promise you if the players of me, draz and shinji have one channie between us we can outrun any group of trollocs with vials and autotrack even without gate if we wanted to, or catch up to any of them following tracks

erulak

Post by erulak » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:41 pm

Yes, I'm aware that in the era of maps and stuff, running isn't hard if that's the way you want to play. Which makes the resistance to actually having to walk around the world even more absurd, but I'm up for the challenge.

Maybe, instead of hiding entire MUD-wide dynamics behind the idea of poor struggling newbies needing to gate around, a good project would be teaching to be as amazing at running as you, Shinji, and Draz. Maybe eventually they want to actually fight sometimes like Draz.

Rig

Post by Rig » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:14 pm

arston wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:04 pm
erulak wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:21 pm
I feel like this:
aside from holiday stuff
. So if gate didn't exist but things loaded like they do "from holiday stuff", it'd be worth the risk of walking around and playing the game rather than teleporting from one location to the next?
Virtually the only reward in standard smobs is to reequip basics or help new players. Teleporting around just cuts out the walking, cuts out the people afk'ing randomly one after another, cuts out some of the risk of moving slow with people who dont know what they are doing.

It doesnt even save any risk from top-tier players. I promise you if the players of me, draz and shinji have one channie between us we can outrun any group of trollocs with vials and autotrack even without gate if we wanted to, or catch up to any of them following tracks

This is the part I have a problem with. There aren’t any tracks. Finding people shouldn’t rely on the requirement that opposition has to practice exactly the same as you and require a channeler in any capacity.

Rig

Post by Rig » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:23 pm

It gets doubly annoying the more I think about it. Finding these groups, by what you and others have been saying, SHOULD require a channeler who specifically practices Gate and Locate Life/Object. Which is such a skewed approach.

The more I see track mentioned, the more I realize that a lot of you don’t understand how tracking works. The problem isn’t tracking these groups with auto-track at all. The problem is that the tracks do not exist.

I would love to see Draz/Shinji/You track a gating smob group with the use only the use of track. My mind would be absolutely blown.

arston

Post by arston » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:42 pm

Rig wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:23 pm
It gets doubly annoying the more I think about it. Finding these groups, by what you and others have been saying, SHOULD require a channeler who specifically practices Gate and Locate Life/Object. Which is such a skewed approach.

The more I see track mentioned, the more I realize that a lot of you don’t understand how tracking works. The problem isn’t tracking these groups with auto-track at all. The problem is that the tracks do not exist.

I would love to see Draz/Shinji/You track a gating smob group with the use only the use of track. My mind would be absolutely blown.
I don't have a clue how you got any of that from what I said. Keep up.

I said gate/locate/zone sense barely affects high-caliber smobbing. It's main use is in dragging large groups around, and it lowers the "cost" in bringing new players around to equip them both in speed (because of both reduced speeds from not knowing horse loads or being able to dism/ride for refreshes fast enough) and risk (either moving faster than any trollocs can move, or not leaving tracks both keeps you safe, if you have neither then its added risk).

not sure how you got a gating smob group out of: I promise you if the players of me, draz and shinji have one channie between us we can outrun any group of trollocs with vials and autotrack even without gate if we wanted to, or catch up to any of them following tracks

erulak wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:41 pm

Maybe, instead of hiding entire MUD-wide dynamics behind the idea of poor struggling newbies needing to gate around, a good project would be teaching to be as amazing at running as you, Shinji, and Draz. Maybe eventually they want to actually fight sometimes like Draz.
What makes you think we didnt, and that I still am not???? Have you ever heard of Relena? We had groups of people we got as brand new players who could consistantly hag a horse 3x per tic every tic and refresh at 20 seconds after the tic and 45 seconds after the tic, and move a group of 6 extremely fast. I distinctly remember a bunch of complaining every time we did it too to hit a group 8 zones away.

Morella

Post by Morella » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:58 pm

so you're saying you don't need gate to move large groups over large distances quickly

Nevaeh

Post by Nevaeh » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:01 pm

Morella wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:58 pm
so you're saying you don't need gate to move large groups over large distances quickly
Technically, you do not.

arston

Post by arston » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:04 pm

Need no, I'll say it a final time bc im getting sick of repeating myself, and then ill be done. gate and zone sense BARELY AFFECTS PEOPLE WHO HAVE SKILLS, except when they are lazy.

It lets people who are good take a group of people who are not good, around at close to the same speed, making it less of a burden to lead around new players, making it easier to incorporate them into group stuff- where they can learn game mechanics and gear themselves up to go pk.

Or you can just keep killing them while they are trying to get ready for pk until they quit and then wonder why theres no pk to be found.

erulak

Post by erulak » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:10 pm

Got it - so gate isn't necessary to move groups large distances quickly. Don't see what the argument is then.

Sorry these hordes of new players are such a burden to you, but I recommend not viewing them as burdens - maybe they'd be more comfortable just asking for "good people" to equip them if they didn't feel like such burdens. :(

Nevaeh

Post by Nevaeh » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:20 pm

erulak wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:10 pm
Got it - so gate isn't necessary to move groups large distances quickly. Don't see what the argument is then.

Sorry these hordes of new players are such a burden to you, but I recommend not viewing them as burdens - maybe they'd be more comfortable just asking for "good people" to equip them if they didn't feel like such burdens. :(
Well... you have compel, you have refresh, you have portal stones, you have ways

Thats four ways to move groups large distances quickly.