Not Rank 8 Zone sense

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Naerin

Re: Not Rank 8 Zone sense

Post by Naerin » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:36 pm

It's also just...not true? Smobbers have to stop and kill smobs, which takes time. The group tracking them, particularly if they have a fade or DL for refreshes, can just track them until they find them. Gate throws a wrench in this because it leaves zero tracks and can go anywhere in a large radius. Zone sense minimizes the danger because you know they're there, gate removes the possibility of there being danger.

arston

Post by arston » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:57 pm

Tracking takes time, even autotrack isnt quite as fast as spamming straight somewhere. A solo or small group that can hop horses effectively is faster than any tracker, and even if the follower can autotrack and hope horses equally well theres not as many horses available on the road for them, slowing them down longer than it takes to kill an smob. I have not had my tracks followed into an smob for over 2 years. I have had many people tell me "i was following your tracks on my troll for over an hour yesterday" despite me never seeing them.

The "burden" is that is that in order to help the people I want to help, I have to either play someone with gate that doesnt leave tracks, or leave myself vulnerable to garbage that's looking for free kills, new players cant keep up at a speed that can outrun trollocs which is fine, we'll get them there if you all dont chase them off the mud first.

Penzei

Post by Penzei » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:59 pm

False, Gate does not remove the possibility of danger. It just makes travel between smobs easier. But many smobs are contained within doors. Gate also has a malus to NO QUIT so there is a good amount of time that one FC is damn near useless being low sps trying to save up for the next gate. It is also not difficult to ascertain what smobs have been done and which smobs have not been done and then planning a trap near a smob that has not been done. Sorvitor did just that yesterday and planned an excellent Portal Stone trap in which he felled multiple people. So AGAIN there is no requirement for EASY PK. Not to mention humans seperated from horses are kinda easy to pick off by DS cause they have no mvs.

twixt

Post by twixt » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:15 pm

arston wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:57 pm
Tracking takes time, even autotrack isnt quite as fast as spamming straight somewhere. A solo or small group that can hop horses effectively is faster than any tracker, and even if the follower can autotrack and hope horses equally well theres not as many horses available on the road for them, slowing them down longer than it takes to kill an smob.
Just going to nitpick here. If the follower is horse hopping behind a horse hopping group the follower should really only be two tics behind at most since the follower can hop on the followees’ horses.

Lys

Post by Lys » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:23 pm

I think we all remember that Epic scene from the Eye of the World where Morraine is leading those newbs out of the Two Rivers and then senses trolls with her zone sense. Naturally she immediately turns and attacks because she isn't some wimpy rp sedai plus she could really use the qps to issue those overpriced angreal. Of course Lan immediately abandons the newbs too because his sedai can't pk without him if he is online. They get a bunch of kills and it's awesome.

erulak

Post by erulak » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:19 pm

I thought Moiraine just gated from 2R to TV.

Lys

Post by Lys » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:20 pm

Pracing gate would mean avoiding Player Interactions which obviously no sedai in the fiction would ever contemplate.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:52 pm

erulak wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:19 pm
I thought Moiraine just gated from 2R to TV.
Hahahhahahaa !

Arston - I do think it is super sweet and awesome what you do for the game and new players. And I also agree with you that one of the most irritating things in the game is those near wizkill scenarios (for that level) when experienced PKers are chasing after players who don't even understand the flee command and how it works.

And no amount of going over their mistakes can be an insta fix since for the foreseeable future they will keep dying when they run into xrace because of the wide disparity.

I think they game has been modified several times to account for all this - the who new command, the free rekit, reduction to 5 mins of no quit, the overall easier access to way better gear.

I think from an educating a newbie pov the only thing I can think of is smaller goals to achieve. like to this day if I'm fighting erulak my goal is still "survive for 2 mins or 5 mins depending on the class". That is actually exceptionally boring for him :p but that's my goal. If I'm fighting Rig, then it's try to come up with a new tactic or new move that he won't anticipate - even if I lose dramatically trying it out, it'll be fun. If I'm fighting razhak - it's a figure out a way to make him think I'm pking but actually just leave whenever (which is very petty of me but since I don't actually want to pk him it's more fun this way :p).

At a more learning point it was stuff like "practice running from this ds smob group with that new spam I had learned - just in a situation when I'm crit in abs so i cannot afford to misspam even once (PS then die to insta aggro tree ha ha).

Or really "try to keep the bash timing as close to correct I can" in the middle of some big fight.

So I can die in all these scenarios but I create a reasonable goal for myself (determined by me :)) that makes it a win.

Anyway you know all this of course..just saying that in a scenario where erulaks rating is 2800 and mine is 1200 there are ways to make the pk fun for me also :p

In fact it's always going to be more fun for the less skilled player with this approach because there's little that is new for the experienced player.