Rank 8 Zone Sense

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
seth

Re: Rank 8 Zone Sense

Post by seth » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:58 pm

Thore wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:31 pm
Didn't read past page 2, but how about turn zone sense on only AFTER you have NO QUIT? That way it's a useful tool for the ebb and flow of PK, but is not a generic always-on safety net.
because it would just be extra checks and would be easy to go right around it. anybody thats not gating just kicks a warder and flees, and zone sense is back on

Kiltwich

Post by Kiltwich » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:08 pm

Thore wrote:
Didn't read past page 2, but how about turn zone sense on only AFTER you have NO QUIT? That way it's a useful tool for the ebb and flow of PK, but is not a generic always-on safety net.
If anything, the other way around.
Once you get no-quit (by mob or otherwise), zone sense goes away. That would make a much more balanced use.

as for how it's used in pk, it's all about going to a zone boundary, hitting where, and leaving before the other side can see you on 'where' to keep tabs on them. The play that I tend to see using it feels very degenerate.

and unlike smells, can't be tricked via dismount shenanigans and unlike locate, can't be stopped via no-locs. Nothing you can do to thwart it, which is the stupidest thing about it.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:33 pm

Eol: For why Sedai didnt use gate for pk - quite simply, a north pk setup requires fireball and you can't really prac gate and fireball and have viable pracs afaik.

I don't know how fade pracs work but presumably it's not as much of a barrier (or it is and razhak ranks make it easier..idk!)

It is funny tho (logical but RP funny) that gate was only ever practiced to actually avoid pk (such as during a master quest or justice hit or ofc gate smobbing) aka avoid tracks

Great point about chasers needing to have something. I feel rank 8 for the large part is like "I have done everything and more out of this class and character" so zone sense allows you to do the thing you did for 3 masters worth - with a little time saving.

Actually the RL example that comes to mind- so I'm in Bombay and I was being a total tourist yesterday and roaming around on the local train (which is an experience!) And I asked my friend who lives here why she doesn't take the train anymore and she said - ive done that for 15 years. Now I'm more than happy to take a cab with air conditioning (which she can -now- afford).

That's exactly how zone sense worked for R8 I feel. Nobody -needs- it but it was the cab you can now afford, which felt great.

Thore

Post by Thore » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:57 am

seth wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:58 pm
Thore wrote:
because it would just be extra checks and would be easy to go right around it. anybody thats not gating just kicks a warder and flees, and zone sense is back on
Guess I meant crossrace noquit.

iria

Post by iria » Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:26 am

I've tinkered with using Gate on my channelers as a way to door people, but honestly the hassle of having to get gate codes when you die was always my reasoning for not getting it on an actively pking character who died fairly often - so I think for me and perhaps many it boils down to laziness and as Isabel mentioned it comes at a cost to other pracs. So Gatedooring people in PK comes with a sacrifice to your "normal" pk setup that I was not willing to commit to for a very situational upside of dropping a group on some smobbing trollocs. I imagine that is why it hasn't been used "aggressively" as groupfade was. As well as DS smobbing being very isolated and with the amount of shadoweyes etc. it is difficult to find a group without them knowing way beforehand that there may be a human snooping around, to even know where to drop a gate. So all in all much harder to get surprised as a DS smobbing group vs an LS smobbing group.

For fades it was likely a fair bit easier as there is basically no sacrifice needed to get fade/sense up to a decent %, its roughly a 12-15 prac points maybe.

Kitiara

Post by Kitiara » Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:54 am

isabel wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:33 pm
Eol: For why Sedai didnt use gate for pk - quite simply, a north pk setup requires fireball and you can't really prac gate and fireball and have viable pracs afaik.

I don't know how fade pracs work but presumably it's not as much of a barrier (or it is and razhak ranks make it easier..idk!)

It is funny tho (logical but RP funny) that gate was only ever practiced to actually avoid pk (such as during a master quest or justice hit or ofc gate smobbing) aka avoid tracks

Great point about chasers needing to have something. I feel rank 8 for the large part is like "I have done everything and more out of this class and character" so zone sense allows you to do the thing you did for 3 masters worth - with a little time saving.

Actually the RL example that comes to mind- so I'm in Bombay and I was being a total tourist yesterday and roaming around on the local train (which is an experience!) And I asked my friend who lives here why she doesn't take the train anymore and she said - ive done that for 15 years. Now I'm more than happy to take a cab with air conditioning (which she can -now- afford).

That's exactly how zone sense worked for R8 I feel. Nobody -needs- it but it was the cab you can now afford, which felt great.
I practice gate and fireball for pk up north. Ive used. Gate to escape when pinned and also to save pkers who were in trouble... No quit obviously makes it less ideal, vut it has shown some uses during linger bouts of pk when no quit can fade during a regroup