Dark Tower movie

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Kordin

Dark Tower movie

Post by Kordin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:49 am

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/da ... cconaughey

So, what do the other fans here of SK/DT think about this?

Having mixed feelings about this.... :?

Mangler

Re: Dark Tower movie

Post by Mangler » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:51 am

Having not read the books, I think the casting sounds awesome.

WHich leads me to, should I read the books?

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:57 am

If you like King's work, then yes.

And as a fan, hell yeah. :D

rasmus

Post by rasmus » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:17 am

Im stoked

the racial thing shouldnt matter so much, but i think most people just want it to be as true to the books as possible
Last edited by rasmus on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mangler

Post by Mangler » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:10 am

I like some King, but I quite dislike others!

The Stand is pretty awesome, and the TV series from the 90's was about the only good King TV/Movie adaptation to date. Salem's Lot was a pretty good book. Then basically everything else I read was a bit meh.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:59 am

rasmus wrote:Im stoked

the racial thing shouldnt matter so much, but i think most people just want it to be as true to the books as possible
Exactly. At first I was a bit against the casting choice, not because of racial issues, but because Roland being white has an impact on some important plots, and it was like you said a fan-thing. And most of us reading the book had various other actors in mind when imagining a movie or tv series being made.

An adaptation of DT was something most fans wanted for a long, long time and any sort of experimentation with the story is viewed as a big risk and could ruin it. Both actors are talented and will do their best to make the characters "come to life".

King and Ron Howard working on it gives a lot of hope that whatever changes they make, a lot of fans should be happy and it should be an interesting movie.

We'll see... :)
Mangler wrote:I like some King, but I quite dislike others!

The Stand is pretty awesome, and the TV series from the 90's was about the only good King TV/Movie adaptation to date. Salem's Lot was a pretty good book. Then basically everything else I read was a bit meh.
One of the characters from The Stand is in the Dark Tower, so that might be a plus for you...?

And the series itself really stands out from most of Kings other work. You can google (or download depending on where you live) Marvels Dark Tower comic book(s) and take a look at it/them to see if the story/books might interest you.

Nettle

Post by Nettle » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:10 pm

I loved this series up until King's ego ruined it. It was going great. I couldn't make it through the last book; I just asked a friend of mine to summarize it for me and I was thankful that I didn't waste any of my time. Everything up to the last book was pretty amazing though. Song of Susannah is where it starts coming off the rails for me.

Nadias

Post by Nadias » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:38 pm

Nettle wrote:I loved this series up until King's ego ruined it.
What universe do you live in? I literally read this and rolled my eyes. You should at least give examples of how his ego ruined it for you. No matter how pathetic your opinion is, people WILL read it and wonder why you type stupid things like this. Keep that in mind for the future.

cacamatzin

Post by cacamatzin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:41 am

well that escalated quickly

Rig

Post by Rig » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:34 pm

Nadias wrote:
Nettle wrote:I loved this series up until King's ego ruined it.
No matter how pathetic your opinion is, people WILL read it and wonder why you type stupid things like this. Keep that in mind for the future.
Have you read this to yourself yet :lol: