Fading requirements suggestion

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Draconus

Fading requirements suggestion

Post by Draconus » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:06 pm

In light of the amount of remorts active, and the impracticality of having a trolloc lead when there are remorts around, I suggest we either remove this requirement, or reduce it significantly (10 altqps or so).

Instead tie it to tnps as a measure of pk.

This requirement is just not practicle in today's enviroment.

erulak

Re: Fading requirements suggestion

Post by erulak » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:45 pm

I think the requirement is leading for 75 kills, which is not actually that bad. But the only totally absurd part about the leading requirement is that it starts at 1500 QPs. It makes no sense if you've already been leading your whole time mastering and then getting to 1500 QPs etc. There doesn't seem to be a good reason why that piece can't just start, say, 250 QPs (rank 5). That way, if you're working on the particular goal, you play a certain way (leading when you can) and have a track record of leadership (and the commensurate practice/experience if you didn't start out as the best at those things) by the time you're hitting 1500 QPs (or up that to 2000 QPs).

For a very long time, the problem with fading/remorting in general has been the emphasis on doing pretty much everything BUT PKing as often as you possibly can in a certain style (leading).

Asandra

Post by Asandra » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:41 am

Agree. Have it start much much earlier.

The 75 kills is attainable over the period to master (and then to 1500 qps...).
Also why 1500 qps? It's so arbitrary.

Draconus

Post by Draconus » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:12 am

I think another gap in this is the fact that the leader has to be in room when the death happens... I lead frequently and so far only gained 1 tnps from leading kills (even though we have killed more than that).

This is probably a bad idea... but maybe allow trollocs that are following to give qps to the leader? Can be similar to councils giving qps.

This at least will ensure that the leader always gets something. Although the room to abuse this is quiet significant...

Naerin

Post by Naerin » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:36 am

As a general rule, systems that rely on a certain population existing or not existing are not good ones - population and clan activity fluctuates over time much more rapidly than the systems do. The current system slows down dramatically if 1) many remorts are active or 2) several trolls are all pushing for fade at the same time. Both will happen.

Even if you dropped it to 150 - you'll probably have the same problem. Most PK sessions have involved a remort leading lately, and those that haven't have mostly involved [Draconus' alt] leading. It'll be a little faster, I don't think it'll be a lot faster and the same problems will remain - you'll expand the time you have to get altqp and you'll expand the population of trolls that want to lead because it benefits them down the line when they want to fade. And yes, it's good to get more leaders, but you're probably not making it any faster or easier if that's the idea.

Zeeb

Post by Zeeb » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:44 am

I also think just remove the leading and any solo kill could count as well. If you are raiding solo or leading a group you are working on the same kind of skillset that will be very useful as a leader. It most problems as a trolloc could just say, "I'll run solo if that is ok, I'm working on fade."

In general, I feel like a couple solo people instead of a large group can make pk flow a little easier.

I think the old trolloc rogue bonuses towards fade - fast scalping and stab kills on smob type targets are all removed and rogues are fairly weak...maybe this would be ok?

erulak

Post by erulak » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:07 am

Zeeb wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:44 am
I think the old trolloc rogue bonuses towards fade - fast scalping and stab kills on smob type targets are all removed and rogues are fairly weak...maybe this would be ok?
Rogues are relatively weak relative to how strong they were previously, but pretty much still the most optimal thing for running around alone. They'd still be far and away the easiest way to fade and you'd see a return to rogues being the optimal way towards a remort.

I think if we're throwing out suggestions that aren't based around the current system at all, we should consider just dropping all requirements and just make remorting an option at 3500 normal QPs or something and call it a day, like we probably should have done a decade ago.

jeb

Post by jeb » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:15 am

I have thought this about the Gaidin application system. That you should remove some of the requirements or re-adjust. But, 10 master scalps where you are somehow involved maybe an easier pill to swallow than leading a kill. Still both are dependent on player activity. But any achievement should be dependent on player activity in a multiplayer game. Moving away from the multiplayer aspects of the game leads to more promotions around individual or one-to-one interactions. And while some people like solo PK, it's not good for the game if it is a pathway to remort.

However, both just require two things: you to play the game and you to get lucky.

If you're willing to play the game you will eventually get lucky.

I'd watch for feedback on the system as is and proof that it isn't working, but that mostly requires people proving it isn't working by playing the game.

"Today's environment" is a super fluid concept with WoTMUD and the best smobbing setup is on remorts.

I also think with the inflated rewards for turn points (I assume this is what tnp means?) and the 5 minute death timer on circle, getting lucky would happen way more frequently because you just need someone to int you to fade.

Given the option between lucky = you are playing the game actively and you get a good couple fights, and lucky = you kill an opponent who decides to rage int and dies several times in rekiteq, I'd choose the former version of luck.

It may be very late in the game to institute something that harms people who didn't chase fade earlier in their careers on this game, but I don't think it is bad.

Draconus

Post by Draconus » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:27 am

Naerin wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:36 am
As a general rule, systems that rely on a certain population existing or not existing are not good ones - population and clan activity fluctuates over time much more rapidly than the systems do. The current system slows down dramatically if 1) many remorts are active or 2) several trolls are all pushing for fade at the same time. Both will happen.
This has been my point exactly. The current enviroment does not make it very possible for trollocs to lead, even if they want to. And if they do get the opportunity to lead, there is a probability of missing out on the altqps by not being in the same room as the kill.

I also think any system that requires people to not play the alts they want to play is flawed... The idea of "tell them to play another alt" makes no sense.

I think the simplest solution is to just increase the turn points to altqps requirement and remove the leading requirement. It will still be pk related and it will still take time, but it wont be as broken as it is now.

I have no issue putting in the effort and time, but relying on luck and people not playing certain characters doesnt sound like the best system...

Smoker

Post by Smoker » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:08 pm

1500 qps is literally halfway to Rank 8. So with this current system why would I even bother to go for a fade before I get all of my rank 8 bonuses/storage. Hell with as shitty as Troll stats are why wouldn't I want the ability to increase the stats further.