Transferring Gear Mobol

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Davor

Transferring Gear Mobol

Post by Davor » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:45 pm

Would it be possible to set up a mob that would hold gear for you and you can designate a receiving player? For a price?

I.e. I give a full set to a mob and say hold for matheus and give the cash and then i can log on later and grab it. Obviously can't have no quit to do this. Cant be used crossrace? Mob will store gear til reboot? Dunno if possible or would be too much gear to remember if tons of players used it?

Elysia

Re: Transferring Gear Mobol

Post by Elysia » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:04 pm

I tinkered with a sort of postman for this almost a decade ago, but there were several issues with it. In order to keep the mob from having its hands full and/or be killed while carrying stuff and/or know which item is who's and/or not lose stuff on crash and boot, every user would have to get their own (temporary) vault. And it just became something with way too many moving parts and I stopped working on it.

Thore

Post by Thore » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:36 pm

Elysia wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:04 pm
I tinkered with a sort of postman for this almost a decade ago, but there were several issues with it. In order to keep the mob from having its hands full and/or be killed while carrying stuff and/or know which item is who's and/or not lose stuff on crash and boot, every user would have to get their own (temporary) vault. And it just became something with way too many moving parts and I stopped working on it.
Mobol can store values, right? How about a chest that opens based on a passphrase.

Thore's alt says 'close chest Abracadabra'
A chest closes.
Open chest. It is locked.
Thore's alt rents.
Thore logs in, goes to chest.
Thore says 'open chest'
A chest creaks, but does not unlock.
Thore says 'open chest Abracadabra'
A chest unlocks, and opens.
Thore gets his loot.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:50 pm

Thore wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:36 pm
Mobol can store values, right? How about a chest that opens based on a passphrase.

Thore's alt says 'close chest Abracadabra'
Thore says 'open chest Abracadabra'
Mobol can't do that.

Naerin

Post by Naerin » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:29 pm

Is the problem any easier if gear can be lost on crash/reboot? That's still a thing with transferring gear now, so it might be fine to keep in a mobol solution if the other things can be worked out.

verne

Post by verne » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:06 pm

The way I would do it is have a mob in a room that loads four different quest items and a chest. You put your items into the chest, and give him one of the quest items that loads in the room. Mob puts the quest item is his pack and locks the chest. When you come back on your alt, you give the exact same item to the mob, the mob gets all from his pack, and if its the same item then he unlocks the chest. If its not the same item, the chest gets perma-locked and the player gets flagged for immortal investigation/wrath.

This way any would-be thief has a 3/4 chance of being caught with a ridiculously painful punishment attached to it, and anyone that uses it correctly just has to remember which item they used to lock it or check their log.

Harker

Post by Harker » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:46 pm

I thought tho most of us do it but i thought xferring eq was somewhat frowned upon at any rate.

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:23 am

Harker wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:46 pm
I thought tho most of us do it but i thought xferring eq was somewhat frowned upon at any rate.
Only thing frowned upon is storing good gear because you’re scared to lose it! Equip all your alts and face the big bad world.

isabel

Post by isabel » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:25 pm

What if you could set a password if you have the quest item (which you can issue or something , limited amount)

And then you say the password on any alt and it'll give it to you because it responds to those words

And the quest item is of no use to someone who doesn't know the password. Can even be then used for trades

verne

Post by verne » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:34 pm

because elysia already said mobol cant handle the variable, thats what harker originally suggested. The quest item I suggested would use more pieces of mobol, but gets rid of any moving parts, as an example that is tamper-proof if the keys are heavy enough that the mob can only hold 2 keys at a time and the pack he can use can only hold one key at a time :

mobol: make keys response: spawns 1 black key, 1 red key, 1 blue key, 1 green key into the room (the quest items i was talking about)

mobol: gives you a green key response: get key pack (key in pack means that someone stashed already, no key in pack means he should lock it up)

mobol: there is no key in a backpack response: lock chest; put key pack; say remember to use the same color key to retrieve your gear or you will lose 50 qps/get zapped

mobol: you get a green key from a backpack response: drop 2.green (mobol cant distinguish whether the key given was the same color as the one given, so it should just try to drop 2.green to see if they were the same color. this is why he shouldnt be able to hold more than 2 items)

mobol: you drop a green key response: eat key; unlock chest; open chest; say here is your belongings (the key from the pack that was given on the first alt, matches the color of the key from the 2nd alt, open the chest)

mobol: you dont have a 2.green response: shout someone is trying to rob me!!!; wizkill chestGuardian (doesnt match colors)

repeated for each color:

mobol: somone gives you a red/black/blue key response: get red/black/blue pack

mobol: there is no red/black/blue in a backpack response: get key pack

mobol: you get a red/black/blue key from a backpack response: drop 2.red/black/blue

This way he only triggers the unlock if the key matches colors, he only locks it if its the first key given to him, and he only triggers the theft mobol if he was given a separate color. The colors were good for demonstrating the concept but a hidden tag unknown to players should actually be used instead of red/blue/green/black so you dont just give him a red stone dagger to make him think he has 2 red keys