ignore command

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
erulak

ignore command

Post by erulak » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:52 pm

Can we make this function so that if you ignore someone, you can't hear them AND they can't hear you? Narrs, chats, tells, etc.

Sqwak

Re: ignore command

Post by Sqwak » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:57 pm

... and deprive folk the opportunity to mock what someones says if they have the ignominy to ignore folk? for shame.

More seriously, while I can sympathize with the idea, this idea creates echo chambers.

Imagine two people having ignored each other narrating contradicting things to new players (or merely those like me ignorant of all the complex social dynamics of the mud) because they're precluded from knowing what the other is saying without a middleman relaying the information. I just can't imagine this being constructive in any capacity.

Honestly, if two players get the this kind of enmity, I'd hope some community leaders step in to try and mediate a reconciliation.

Rig

Post by Rig » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:11 am

It’s not bad idea. It goes away after you rent. If I could choose, I wouldn’t want “statters” or certain “afk” players seeing what I’m narrating.

erulak

Post by erulak » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:04 pm

Sqwak wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:57 pm
... and deprive folk the opportunity to mock what someones says if they have the ignominy to ignore folk? for shame.

More seriously, while I can sympathize with the idea, this idea creates echo chambers.

Imagine two people having ignored each other narrating contradicting things to new players (or merely those like me ignorant of all the complex social dynamics of the mud) because they're precluded from knowing what the other is saying without a middleman relaying the information. I just can't imagine this being constructive in any capacity.

Honestly, if two players get the this kind of enmity, I'd hope some community leaders step in to try and mediate a reconciliation.
Think you're overthinking it and this is just how almost every ignore feature in any game and most forums works. And yes, what Rig said. That being said, and more to your point, maybe limiting the number of people you can ignore at a time makes sense too.

Nevaeh

Post by Nevaeh » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:20 pm

Useful when idiots spam yells in all caps over and over flooding the screen with spam. However, for your suggestion to take the ability of others also from seeing your global communication would be another contributor to the silent and ghost pk or engaged atmosphere that makes the game feel alive and interactive. Would be another step towards making it more of a morgue.

Rig

Post by Rig » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:01 pm

Nevaeh wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:20 pm
However, for your suggestion to take the ability of others also from seeing your global communication would be another contributor to the silent and ghost pk or engaged atmosphere that makes the game feel alive and interactive. Would be another step towards making it more of a morgue.
Sure. If you plan on using the ignore command on the entire side you’re on, which is a lot more detrimental to whoever is doing the ignoring than those who aren’t.

Nevaeh

Post by Nevaeh » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:39 pm

Rig wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:01 pm
Nevaeh wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:20 pm
However, for your suggestion to take the ability of others also from seeing your global communication would be another contributor to the silent and ghost pk or engaged atmosphere that makes the game feel alive and interactive. Would be another step towards making it more of a morgue.
Sure. If you plan on using the ignore command on the entire side you’re on, which is a lot more detrimental to whoever is doing the ignoring than those who aren’t.
Or you could coordinate it to make the global your own group channel with others. I don't think that would be very beneficial to the game.

Rig

Post by Rig » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:53 pm

Again, more detrimental to the player(s) that's choosing to do that than anything else. Those same people who would do that coordinate group voip chats on Discord and play/share crossrace with each other anyway and ignore everyone else on the side, so the problem isn't the requests being asked of the ignore function. If anything, it's something that helps fix part of that issue.

erulak

Post by erulak » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:00 pm

Nevaeh wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:39 pm
Or you could coordinate it to make the global your own group channel with others. I don't think that would be very beneficial to the game.
If you're inclined to do that, that's the kind of coordination that you could already do via Discord without the limitations, like being on the same side or having to burn a command for comms. I don't think it makes sense to view it as some conspiracy of coordination when there are more efficient ways of doing that already.

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:12 pm

People VoIP on wotmud?