Peer review

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
erulak

Re: Peer review

Post by erulak » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:42 am

Thore wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:01 pm
erulak wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:04 pm
Sarinda wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:00 pm
As someone who mains a channeler and takes pride in my ability to outtime many other channelers in a straight fight, I would bet money that Nevaeh is not using timers because they too often run the risk of introducing mistakes by removing player agency in competitive PK with a high skill ceiling. And even though this log is against a Trolloc rogue, you don't suddenly stop caring about your weave timing just because you're not against another channeler. I'm not even the best channeler vs. channeler fighter around -- I have a great link and generally solid weave timing, to the point that a male channeler recently accused me of using a weave timing trigger myself, which I take as the highest compliment -- so I don't think it makes sense for a dreadlord player to rely on weave timing triggers.
I don't think any reasoning here for why you aren't seeing triggers here actually involves looking at the log, which is a bad start. You'd keep your money on the technicality that it's not, in fact, Nevaeh in the log, but that's about it.

It's also incredible to me that a self-identified channie main who has amazing timing doesn't know that the output for a perfectly timed weave actually would involve seeing the input go in just before the "Ok." and not clearly triggering off of it right before something else triggers off of the HoA bash message. There's also nothing about this that looks like a telnet (or similar) log unless you think that someone is not only displaying absolutely inhuman timing, but also fully typing out entire commands like "channel 'Ice Spikes' Trill".
Couldn't an intelligent scripter write it so the output occurs after the "Ok." maybe even gagging it so it comes in a pulse later (might not work with the symbols I guess), and/or isn't that client dependent? Certainly CMUD does it naturally like you describe.
why

Teveyl

Post by Teveyl » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:22 pm

As a newbie channeler, seems like channel 'x' @target, should take a move just like bash and stab do...otherwise it does look very tempting to fix my dung timing with a very simple trigger... ;P

erulak

Post by erulak » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:03 pm

Yeah, it's weird that bash, charge, and stab all take moves for spamming unengaged but channeling a weave does not. Maybe the logic is that "weaves" as a category does things besides offensive damage, but if you took 1 move for every instance of non-combat weave utilized, I don't know if I would ever even notice it based on the situations when you are usually using non-combat weaves.

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:11 pm

Thore wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:01 pm
Couldn't an intelligent scripter write it so the output occurs after the "Ok." maybe even gagging it so it comes in a pulse later (might not work with the symbols I guess), and/or isn't that client dependent? Certainly CMUD does it naturally like you describe.

Couldn't also an intelligent scripter use the timer symbols (combined with their typical lag) to PonR weaves using triggers?
I've made some for fun and in my experience they're okay for smobbing but I don't want them in any PvP.

Pulses aren't fixed in time - they vary across a range. You'll either set it too tight and it'll make mistakes or you'll set it too loose and not land anything. So, you could, but it would still not be as good/fast as manually fighting.

Then again I am a mediocre scripter, so, ymmv.

Personally, I've found it most effective to bind your most used weaves to something like your numpad buttons. My numpad1 does a short weave on target1, shift+numpad1 does a short weave on target2, numpad3 does a long weave which is variable based on output from the weather command (fireball or spikes), + is quake, etc.

Nevaeh

Post by Nevaeh » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:20 pm

Teveyl wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:22 pm
As a newbie channeler, seems like channel 'x' @target, should take a move just like bash and stab do...otherwise it does look very tempting to fix my dung timing with a very simple trigger... ;P
But then are you truly "playing" the game? Or is it playing you.

Venum

Post by Venum » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:08 pm

for a second i thought they let rig remort to dl

this is a good example of why would you get flamestrike when you could have a chance of bashing? hoa is awesome