Wheel of Time Season 2: Episode 6 Discussion

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
halfhand

Wheel of Time Season 2: Episode 6 Discussion

Post by halfhand » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:40 pm

Wheel of Time Season 2: Episode 6
"Eyes Without Pity"
Air Date: Sep 21 2023
Rand makes a risky alliance and Egwene gathers her strength to confront the horror of her circumstances.

My Impressions:
Egwene was the A-plot. It was well done overall and well adapted.
Mat/Min: just treading water and I was barely paying attention to the overwrought argument about stabbing rand.
Perrin: missing
Rand/Lanfear: good chemistry, well adapted Forsakens interactions between Lanfear/IShamael
Moiraine's family: I hope this ends up strongly. Moiraine kinda annoys me at this point.
Lan and Alanna: really having a hard time following this side trip, but at leat it seems like it's leading to something finally
Ryma: battle was pretty good showcasing unique Yellow skills, but weird battle strategy on both sides and then just kind of ends with someone walking up and collaring her.

two more episodes to go, to end strongly

iria

Re: Wheel of Time Season 2: Episode 6 Discussion

Post by iria » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:48 am

Agree that the battle scene, felt kind of lackluster. I think the series "action" scenes have generally been kind of dull - with the exception of the opening with Tigraine? and Tam finding Rand from season1 - was a nice touch that she got caught by an arrow since the books kind of make a big deal of Aes Sedai not being invincible and an arrow can take you at any time.

I'm enjoying Mat's character, the new fella seems to portray him nicely, even though I really enjoyed the previous guy too.

Lanfear/Liandrin scene: I really wish we'd seen more of a grovelling/terrified reaction from Liandrin, instead it seemed like they were somewhat "equals" or Lanfear could be any other Black Sister. The scene could have been absolutely terrifying with Lanfear making Liandrin beg her to kill her son for some slight or mistake on her part. So far they haven't done a great job cementing the position of the Forsaken imo.

Egwene: I really liked how they showed the whole damane/sul'dam relationship with the cup of water, enjoyed watching that a fair bit.

The whole Min/Ishamael connection still annoys me, but I guess its just a way to move the plot along, making sure Mat and Rand meet in Cairhien etc. I'm assuming Mat is going to follow Rand to Falme without him knowing it and finally blow the Horn to tie that thread down.

All in all the show is growing a bit on me, the more I distance myself from wanting a book adaptation :)

halfhand

Post by halfhand » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:52 am

I think my biggest issues with the battles so far after looking back through them (and I hope they get fixed, because they are some pretty big battles coming).

1. The bigger battles are just so small (and this is budget related). Like the Logain vs White Tower battle in S1. So few extra, the scope seems tiny. It seems like a dozen people fighting a double randos that looks nothing like a battle of thousands.

2. The One Power battles are so non dynamic (and I asssume this is related to choreographing the cgi). People just standing around and watching and taking turns. What I really would want to see is the chaotic frantic action. When there's multiple channelers, there should be multiple weaves flying around simultaneously, blocking, cutting weaves, people ducking and dodging. Right now, it's like Pokemon turn based combat.

Kybrin

Post by Kybrin » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:30 pm

Still mad about Lans side-story. There are very few chars I care if the story goes off the rails but he is one of them.

Other than that I genuinely think this was the best episode of the season so far. Also glad to see that the country-bumpkin accent was a one-off lol.

Chloro

Post by Chloro » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:03 pm

halfhand wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:52 am
I think my biggest issues with the battles so far after looking back through them (and I hope they get fixed, because they are some pretty big battles coming).

1. The bigger battles are just so small (and this is budget related). Like the Logain vs White Tower battle in S1. So few extra, the scope seems tiny. It seems like a dozen people fighting a double randos that looks nothing like a battle of thousands.

2. The One Power battles are so non dynamic (and I asssume this is related to choreographing the cgi). People just standing around and watching and taking turns. What I really would want to see is the chaotic frantic action. When there's multiple channelers, there should be multiple weaves flying around simultaneously, blocking, cutting weaves, people ducking and dodging. Right now, it's like Pokemon turn based combat.
I totally get your take on the battles so far and your right. I am kind of wondering it was planned that way, getting people used to the way the one power works in battle. Just like how they got people used to the one power in season 1 then added color to the flows season 2. We should find out tonight, that battle in Cairhien looks epic!