A Random Thank You (Not a Goodbye)

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Dougras

A Random Thank You (Not a Goodbye)

Post by Dougras » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:16 am

Hi All,

I'm Doug, the player of Dougras, Que & Feeble, playing since about 2000. I have hardly played in the last 7 years due to jobs, kids and generally loving life.

The point of this post? Just a huge thank you to an objectively astonishing project. A game that trumps any other I can think of or have played since, probably due to the depth that led to dire lows and riciulous highs. Seriously, what an immense time! Created and maintained by a bunch of generous and incredibly dedicated keepers that have changed over the years. And all the players (good and bad) who gave the mud such vibrance from characters on a screen.

I pretty much had a single character for my entire time on the mud and never thought to try another. Despite that, I spent over 200 days on Dougras alone, starting as a 16 16 16 warrior and then deleting and recreating, mastered, made incredible friends, made and subsequently forgot so so many memories. Died a staggering amount of times, occasionally focused and got good at southern PK, but overall didn't do anything at all special or be a central part of this mud. Regardless, it was SUCH a formative part of my life, and I love the mud and the players for that.

Obviously, the world has moved on, people have grown up, games are a completely different beast. The mud is slowly dwindling, which leaves me feeling overwhelming sadness, thinking of all the fun and friends that are lost to time and their own lives. And then I think thank god! How bored we'd all be if we were doing the same things over and over in a text based game.

Thanks again to everyone, epsecially the owners, guardians and maintainers. And thanks to all those people that I interacted with (you know who you are), and sorry if I was ever a horrible dung to you... I doubt anyone will read or care, but meh!

Much love!
Doug

PS: I really hope the mud will still be here in 3-4 years time when my kids might start to play it. I doubt seriously, but it'd be fun to run them around some smob routes & show them a place I spent so much of my life.

PPS: I see a lot of discontent about the changes the mud has seen, and think it is often justified, and just as often unfair. Running such a world must be incredibly demanding, especially when you can lose SO much time and effort to unfair play, poor balancing, poorly thought out changes. At the same time, players invest unbelievable amounts of time into the game, so they are understandably attached to the way things are and what they want from it, and in some ways they have a right to be demanding. There's no easy answer, no right or wrong...

Firimei Lang

Re: A Random Thank You (Not a Goodbye)

Post by Firimei Lang » Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:28 pm

I remember you from the red eagles , hope you're doing well. Sounds like it

Choen

Re: A Random Thank You (Not a Goodbye)

Post by Choen » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:11 am

miss ya mate.