Wheel of Time Season 2 Episode 1, 2, and 3 Discussion

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Alison

Re: Wheel of Time Season 2 Episode 1, 2, and 3 Discussion

Post by Alison » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:09 am

Great episodes.

This time around, Rand feels more like the rand i know than the wimpy version from season 1. Loved the twin sisters. Perfect casting for them.
The episode three with them following padan fain was on par with the books. Even a certain thing smacked against a wall *cough* fade *cough*

Weaving is done well. I have always though of weaving where they combine the elements like they do in the show, but more color and less wispyness wouldve done well.

Nynaeves actor is growing on me. In the first season i was like, nah this girl has got that spunk. Then the arches test gave be goosebumps.

Elyas and Perrin nice setup for the two of them.

Seanchan. Nails. Lots of nails. And brutal as firetruck. Got goosebumps when the oaths was being forced. I was hoping to see some lopars or flying stuff, but not yet me thinks?

Im enjoying season 2 and looking forward to more.

Aira

Post by Aira » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:17 am

Mronz wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:55 am
Sul'dam / Damane:
Now, not seeing the screen, only using the descriptive audio...
They described Damane as "female warriors with silver muzzles on their faces"
That seams far from, cowering timid women, clad in gray dresses, trailing behind a sul'dam, by a silvery leash.
I keep trying to see if I can find anything, where Rafe explains his damane choices, but I've not found it yet.

Overall, super excited to see where season2 goes.
The sul'dam look like warriors, with paint on their jaw and necks and something that looks more like armor than just a dress. They also take stances prior to the weave commands like they are wielding a two handed sword. The damane wear a light gray dress, dark make up around their eyes and they do not speak but point at the women who are 'tested'. Like the sensing someone's ability through proximity that was described in the books, but not collaring someone to test them.

The damane we've seen most was less meek than you'd expect, moving through the crowd to point out women who could channel. But, I suppose, she was following orders, so it's not like she was defiant.

I learnt a thing though this week that during the slavery era, there was a slave iron bit that looked horribly similar to the thing damane wear, but the real life version had straps visible over the forehead and sides, like a dog muzzle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_iron_bit

Mronz

Post by Mronz » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:20 am

Aira, thanks for that visual insight.
Wow, I had no clue, thanks also for the link.

Mronz

Post by Mronz » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:37 am

Informative X Q&A, with Rafe answering a lot of questions.

https://www.wotseries.com/2022/07/21/ra ... con-panel/

Kash

Post by Kash » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:31 pm

Katherine wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:51 pm
** spoilers, read only if you read the books and saw Ep 1-3 Season 2**

I liked Episode 2 and 3 much more than Episode 1. Episode 1 just brought back the bad taste in my mouth about how the authors rewrote so much of the core narrative. Ep 2 and 3, especially with the scenes in the Tower, was actually pretty good. It wasn't 100% book,

Imagine if they made this 100% book! It would be like 400 seasons long! All the actors would die and have to be replaced before they would be able to finish it!

Aira

Post by Aira » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:35 pm

Mronz wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:20 am
Wow, I had no clue, thanks also for the link.
Yeah, that info made me go from "whose twisted idea was that?" to "oh, historical reference, and I guess that makes it worse that someone thought of this to be used in real life, whose twisted idea was that?".

Tolveor

Post by Tolveor » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:13 pm

the start of season two feels to me like they have taken random out of context lines in the books, and fitted it to random characters or places. I really don't like Lan feeling so weak. And disappointed that we haven't seen mat beat up warders with his stick. Thats such a good scene in the books.
Liked Verins character alot
Liked how they did Nyaeve in the arches
Rand in the foregate is pretty cool, hopefully Thom will show up
Was wondering for the longest time why the Sharans showed up so early in the storyline, right up untill they mentioned Suroth
hopefully we get some aiel soon

This show is such a mess, but im kinda facinated

Harker

Post by Harker » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:50 pm

You should all just keep in mind that this is not the books and it cannot be the books. Stuff will have to be cut stuff will have to be mixed together.

Tolveor

Post by Tolveor » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:40 am

this is all true, but they don't have to butcher it this badly. I was facinated with season one as well, and then witcher season 1 came out and reminded me what a decent tv show is. wot show is just messy.

asharek

Post by asharek » Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:11 pm

I was kinda worried at first that they would screw up the insane asylum that RJ beautifully described but glad that they cut out random fluff like rand's character development from the books so they could move the plot. moraine's villian arc is developing nicely though, glad they had people that actually read the books and love RJ's world to write and work on this show.