Wheel of Time Season 2 Episode 1, 2, and 3 Discussion

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Sarryn

Re: Wheel of Time Season 2 Episode 1, 2, and 3 Discussion

Post by Sarryn » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:00 pm

Tis a very meh all around really. Like all around lol acting, writing, everything. That being said I will still watch and semi enjoy it. Even if it’s pretty terrible from what it could be. Really makes you appreciate shows like the Witcher, game of thrones etc.

Dimmu

Post by Dimmu » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:22 am

Sarryn wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:00 pm
Tis a very meh all around really. Like all around lol acting, writing, everything. That being said I will still watch and semi enjoy it. Even if it’s pretty terrible from what it could be. Really makes you appreciate shows like the Witcher, game of thrones etc.
Agreed. It really shows the difference between showrunners who actually use source material effectively and those that would rather use their own, poorly written fan-fiction.

Rig

Post by Rig » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:14 am

Season 2 Witcher went downhill. Henry Cavill also leaving. WoT is disappointing and I stopped watching after Nynaeve’s heal bomb.

Kybrin

Post by Kybrin » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:56 pm

I'm not gonna lie this forum is MUCH more chill than I expected lol. I echo most of the things said here but just because Ill throw in my 2 cents:

Casting: I genuinely think everyone is fantastic EXCEPT (and this is my hot take) Rand. Looks-wise he's great. Almost exactly how I pictured him. I get that early Rand was cautious, internal, and annoying and I'm probably nit-picking but his line delivery is ... weird. Makes him sound less naïve and more dumb. Perrins line delivery is also weird. Like why is he doing that batman voice sometimes?

Story/narrative/visual stuff, The Good:

The Arches - Incredible. The time delay threw me off but the end result was the same and I really enjoyed it.
The Tower visuals - Perfect
The Seanchan - Overall good. OK so, after speaking to several people I realize I am probably just dumb, BUT I always pictured the Seanchan drawl as like ... just slow talking. Not an actual southern accent drawl. I laughed out loud when that lady was up there southern-belle-ing it but like whatever not a big deal. Visually they are incredible and I like the more battle looking style of the Sul'dam/Damane pairs (dislike the pacifier but I get it).
Weaving - They finally put in colors so that's cool.
Elyas - This comes with knowledge of episode 4 but I'm good with him and the change to him pretending to be a sniffer.
Selene - Good with it for now but I worry that them not showing she can change her form now will lead to weird stuff later.

Story/narrative/visual stuff, The Bad:

This was super long so I changed it to try and keep it as short as I can. It's still long lol.

Lan - Why they gotta do this to my boy? But really, it's like even in the Arches he just falls over lol. At this point all he has done is lose and this whole thing they are doing with him and Moiraine ... I just don't see the point. Like they didn't have to do it, but they are like quadrupling down on what I think is a very bad narrative choice. A good re-telling of a story even in different media will keep the spirit of a character and they absolutely have not done that with Lan.

Uno - Why??? Even if your answer is: To show how seriously they take the Oaths or to make the Seanchan seem like more of a threat, why not just kill random villager guy #47? I have a theory that when the horn gets blown Agelmar and Uno will just pop out and be alive again.

The Tower - Ok. I understand wanting to make Liandrin a bigger part of the story. Fine. The dialogue between the Sedai and Novices is just way off. Alanna is just the 'cool mom' now? Liandrin is the 'bad cop' but also somehow cool mom (literally)? They start to get better with it in the later episodes but they like passively mention the reason/importance of it.

The rest of it I'm honestly fine with. Doesn't need to be a carbon copy of the books as long as the spirit of the characters is there and the big events happen I don't super care who is where or who does what. So far they have missed the mark on that several times though.

Ashlee

Post by Ashlee » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:24 am

:evil: no
Dimmu wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:22 am
Sarryn wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:00 pm
Agreed. It really shows the difference between showrunners who actually use source material effectively and those that would rather use their own, poorly written fan-fiction.
Can totally appreciate you don’t like the WoT adaptation, but come on. The Witcher butchered the source material so badly that their leading actor quit.