goodbye notes and thoughts

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
isabel

goodbye notes and thoughts

Post by isabel » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:57 pm

since the day i started playing, i've always been fascinated by wotmud as a subculture space, such a unique one. it has its own history, vocabulary, rituals and jokes - all of it remembered by the people - some forum posts, some on the game space itself.

it has its static component - fascinating for someone like me who has moved around a lot. there are buildings and localities i grew up in that no longer exist, but 2n malk where i first lost justice as a newbie despite farwil trying to save me, or 1u curtain where razhak would show up every time we went through the painful slow smobbing to get 2 pieces of decent abs over 2 hours, or the south cairhien spam where markus taught a handful of young charging boars members - a PRC their favourite clan - how to fight ...all those are Exactly as they were (more or less exactly :)).

everyone here has a thousand and more memories like that.

i think goodbye notes form an important part of this space, because there is no other way to know for so many people (for the community) how someone is / where someone is / and what this space that they invested so much time in meant to them.

we can never anticipate death, so it makes sense to me to at some point in time leave a goodbye note - not because you'll never return, but because you get to SAY goodbye at some point in your life.

it's also strange to think ..whether this commuity has a future. beyond the thing of 'people leaving' - which of course they do and come back and so on because it's been a part of their life..but because i think we have no way to 'reproduce' - we would have if new people had been joining consistently.

we're like one of those european countries that has population scarcity even as most of the world struggles with too few resources and too many people.

all the times that people get irritated with their time being wasted by something
all the times people get fed up with behaviour that would never be accepted irl
all the times new players found it too steep a curve
all the times newer players put in the time but realised they would never cross that 2-decade gap of skill + bonuses
all the people who could have become a generation of leaders but never did (why not? )

it's still an amazing amount of progress that wotmud has made over the years in terms of being a more friendly space..but like climate change initiatives is it too little, too late?

no answers, just thoughts.

Protus

Re: goodbye notes and thoughts

Post by Protus » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:24 pm

Nothing but Love for ya!

Firimei Lang

Post by Firimei Lang » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:08 am

Love ya too and miss our chats

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:17 pm

<3

I'm hopeful things will still be kicking for quite a while. Been busy a f myself lately though.