The one that got away..

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Razhak

The one that got away..

Post by Razhak » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:36 pm

I decided it’s time for the good old farewell post. Somewhere this month marks the date that I played last, one year back. I’ve always said to myself: you don’t quit, untill you actually quit. Well, not having played for about a year, and not having much inclination or wish to start playing again in the past year, is for me the sign I actually quit.

I can’t say I quit for any particular reason, personally I found the mud drifting away from the PK environment of “losing it all when you rip” I grew up in, and more toward catering attitudes where people were protected from “loss” when they ripped. This was marked by attitudes, but also in policy and simple things like zone changes, skills adjustments and equipment changes. There is no one to blame or point at here for this, it is in my opinion just an evolution based on a change in how players think about a game.

Ive played through several “era’s” of mud “management” which were all different in how they handled things (most notably the times where in order of appearance Nass, Vivienne and lastly Austin were in charge), but I was able to do my own thing nonetheless, and if I hadn’t lost my drive to play, I am sure I would still be doing my own thing still.

Which brings me to the thing that has always defined me on this mud, atleast if you ask me (and hey, you are still reading this essay of mine, so you seem to care about what I got to say ;) ), which has been drive to play.

I started in 2000 or 2001, I forgot. I started some characters, and didn’t know anything. I didn’t even know I could save my character when I logged off, so I kept starting new ones time and time again. Finally I learned that I could keep my char over logging off and started working on Argayle, who I made into a Gaidin. Back then so many friends I played with, all but one or two now lost to the mud: Salyn (my first bond mate), Lirianne (crazy Fin who always figured out weird stuff), Wynoa (the original Aiel in my mind), Jothel (the winner of the first Malkieri academy, me being runner up), Lylia (Jothel’s shadow, I think sincethen restatted by someone else), Juvy (weird story with that one, but still a friend online), Torwyn (one of the five first Illuminators, not many know I was one of those five ;) ), Vayus (so much fun we had in the illuminators), Sindor and Vaylor (can’t seperate them still even now), Amberyn (my second bond mate), Ravhaiel (muddy!), Iliana (my third bond mate), and so many more others I can’t remember right now, but who as soon as I see the name will think off “HOW could I not have listed him/her!!”

After a veritable stint with Argayle, I had to reinvent myself somewhere in 2004, not in the least helped by a declanning vote from the Gaidin. I am not saying it was or wasn’t deserved, all I’ll say is that I wasn’t an easy person back then, and I probably got what had been coming to me fair and square. Whatever the case, it led me to for the first time playing DS for real, and soon I landed on Razhak, a simple 19 xx xx 14 19 hunter, whom I exped up and took Dha’vol (actually a very RP driven choice as I wanted to raid with him and the Dha’vol were the Great Lord’s scouts). And gosh did I raid, I found out that those couple of years as a gaidin had taught me well about how LS handles raiders and I took full advantage of that experience I had. In hindsight (always colored after so many years) it seems to me that I painted the braem woods red with LS blood for weeks on end, escaping way more often then I should have. It was also a time of making new friends, albeit that these were of a different kind. Where my first stint as Argayle took me from being a total newbie to warder, where most my friends were as newbie as me, and we discovered so many new things together, here on DS I was a relative newbie. People that stood out to me were: Mendoze (love ya pal!), Grekli (always so cool), Snorakk (99% of the mud hated him, I loved this guy for some reason), Mangler (love-hate, mainly love.. he actually helped me on my master quest both as Razhak the trolloc AND Razhak the myrddraal.. About 10 years apart!), Zangief (we used to talk so much about the state of the mud), Bryan (the dude that actually got me into what it would mean for me to take up my mantle as a DS leader) and also many many more.

I took Razhak through highs and lows, and made friends and enemies along the way. Some still seem to want to drink my blood after decades, which underscores not only my drive (be it for good or for bad), but also what drives other players in this small little niche web-based community we have going on here. Razhak had many firsts, going through over almost two decades as a Myrddraal. I faded in record time: 13 weeks from clanning as a Dha’vol untill fading (Dagre once commented to me it had taken him longer then that). Razhak was in sequence the first player-controlled Myrddraal (Neksyl doesn’t count as an imm-character!) who made rank 7 and 8 (talk about drive there :P ). He was a Chosen, I even ran a player run newbie clan for DS newbies in two different occasions :)

I also always tried to give back. First I’ll acknowledge that I also took a lot: about 13k worth of remort qps (up past rank 7 at a 0-1-3 ratio, from just past rabk 7 to 8 at a 0-3-5 ratio). Whole generations of players were preyed on by me, also because of this drive I had to advance on this DS ladder. I am certain that for a couple of years between 2005 and 2015 during European play times a lot of players were always keeping half an eye out for the shadows to see if I might pop in for a quick “hello partypeople.” These players also deserve my thanks, but sadly my trophy Players cuts off after a certain amount of pages and most of the earlier kills all dropped off the bottom..

But I like to think also that I tried to give back: I have always tried to be a fair leader on DS, and up untill the day I stopped playing, people have thrown equipment to me for splitting, and I still believe that’s not only because of the rank thing on DS (which had been gradually eroding over the years anyhow), but also because they trusted me not to screw them over.

Another thing I tried to do was to give DFs a good time and a fair shot. DFs have gotten so much flak over the years, which is not very fair. These were people who for the most part were trying to advance through harsh circumstances with varying and unclear parameters. Most burnt out before even getting to DF2 or even further, and most of the time that was because of lack of player remort interaction. I’ve fostered many of them over the years, trying my best to come up with tasks, schemes and meaningfull shenanigans for them to do. I always adhered to a harsh character separation and demanded the same from my DFs, which included full ingame handling and communication (only leeway was that I always asked for a log to be mailed to me AFTER a meeting, so I could document at my leisure lateron). So many interactions went into my big book of nasty deeds.. sometimes I felt like the Anti-Santa ;)

And then lastly a word to my “enemies”, my “critics”, whatever you like to call yourselves, you know who you are :)

Like many of you, I kind of grew up in this little makebelieve, but all-to-real world of ours. I went through mud-toddler school, then mud-puberty and then mud-adulthood. I’ve made mistakes willingly and unwittingly, just like most of us have done here sooner or later. I’ve taken punishments (actually only once, a level docking after Nass found out I had farmed Kreeza by ordering her mobs out of her room.. how was I supposed to know that wasn’t allowed after I had seen Zork do it before… :P ) and I was placed on Vivienne’s last chance list (let’s call it mud-puberty… but I got taken off after almost a year of good-better behaviour without any punishment). Now I haven’t played for over a year, it all feels so petty, and I think I could’ve been good friends with many of my “enemies” easily had either of us been in a different mood at some stage of our mudcareers, who knows.

Bottom line is, looking back, it was a blast. The good, the bad and the ugly, I don’t think I would’ve wanted to miss it.

Dovain

Re: The one that got away..

Post by Dovain » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:09 pm

Crazy how long the game has been around, all the stories created, lives affected.

Please drop by now and then, at least in discord if not in game!

Best of luck :)

Jaxon

Post by Jaxon » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:03 pm

Thanks for all the fun times and not so fun times in this crazy game! I honestly hate to see you go! Best wishes to you sir!

faul

Post by faul » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:39 pm

Razhak wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:36 pm
Bottom line is, looking back, it was a blast. The good, the bad and the ugly, I don’t think I would’ve wanted to miss it.
However else I've felt about you over the years, I think at the end of the day, for any of us, the game will have been worth sinking the countless hours into if we can come away feeling like this. Take care.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:37 am

Will be missing you. I've turned to DS only a bit late... 20 years after the fact.

stronk

Post by stronk » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:38 am

Enjoy your retirement, Shaidar Razhak. Sorry to see you go, stop by from time to time!

Ragyn

Post by Ragyn » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:42 am

I usually had a good time playing with and against you, best of luck out there!

Turg

Post by Turg » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:07 am

A sizeable run

all the best to You.

I strongly feel you shoul stay in discord to post those epic prints/paints you do.

Best
Turg

isabel

Post by isabel » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:18 am

*Razhak* closes the curtain.

The stuff of my newbie nightmares :twisted:

So much on wotmud remains exactly the same.. we can log on years later and the narrates will still be the same "on xyz" etc. And one almost forgets that the most important part of the game, the people, are not always going to be around.

The thing I appreciated the most about you was that you played by your code, combined your PK with RP as I always think should be the case, and were a leader on your side.

I'm glad you had a blast. That is all one can ask for.

langois

Post by langois » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:45 pm

Best of luck with all your real and meaningful endeavours. I’ve seen your entire progression, I was in Gaidin for the rise and fall of Argayle and pked against you for 20 years.

While we might not have been close, and we could be downright belligerent towards each other that never bled into my time on ds. When you needed a trolloc or I needed a fade we put differences aside and played our characters together.

You’ve had an enormous impact on the game, some good, some bad and the same could be said for the games impact on you i’m sure.

Stop in, say hi and enjoy your young family.

Cheers,
Langwa