Darkfriend Woes

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Talimar

Darkfriend Woes

Post by Talimar » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:10 pm

Staff is working to finalize a new process for darkfriends with more information to be shared in the coming weeks. As an initial step, we will be addressing characters with under 500 ALTQPS. Each character will be unflagged as a darkfriend, audited, and awarded 1QP per 9ALTQPS. This is narrow the population of unknown darkfriends as we move away from an equipment turn in based process. If you fall into this category and have any questions, please feel free to contact me via forum mail or discord.
Previously, I'd placed a moratorium on unknown darkfriends. I am now extending this known, as well.

I will be working with known darkfriends to find a resolution to their status. They are encouraged to mail the staff group to check in and be advised of their options.

This moratorium will end once we have revised the system to account for the issues the current system presents.
I recently found my way back to this game as a former known Darkfriend with over 1000 alt qp. As such, I thought to mail the staff and be 'advised of my options'. Those options were as follows:
Given the prior history of the character and checkered past, we are going to be cashing out your altqps for qps. Ratio is 9:1, 113qps. You will no longer be a known DF and will be free to enter the new process when it is started. Please contact a 104 for a name change.
I'm not sure what a male channeler would do with 113 qp, but I suppose it's a generous offer. I particularly like the chance to redo the entire process at some undefined time in the future, that sounds appealing. I'm unsure as to what my checkered past entails, as it wasn't serious enough to prevent me from rising in the Darkfriend ranks in the first place, which it seemingly should have done. I would be interested in knowing if other existing known Darkfriends were given equally generous offers.

Elissa

Re: Darkfriend Woes

Post by Elissa » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:21 pm

Seems kinda rough for someone to go all the way to known status, then have everything taken away.

What was the point of allowing him to go known if he wasn't going to get the remort status?

Gretchen

Post by Gretchen » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:14 pm

my df who was active at the time with a bit under 500 alt points got booted i was really pissed

isabel

Post by isabel » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:30 am

The imm decision seems specific to your character (past). I don't know your history but I do know that after waiting an irl year DFs who were known / had 1k aqps were given a path.

erulak

Post by erulak » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:01 am

Frankly, I have heard one side of this and that is enough for me. Justice for Talimar.

Frey

Post by Frey » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:07 am

isabel wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:30 am
The imm decision seems specific to your character (past). I don't know your history but I do know that after waiting an irl year DFs who were known / had 1k aqps were given a path.
Maybe there's more behind the scenes, but seems weird to me that 4+ other known dfs with 1000+ aqps were granted remort, then Talimar comes back and gets told sorry, feel free to start over.

Naerin

Post by Naerin » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:12 am

I don't know the character's past, but pretty much every time there's a public post like this, it turns out the Imm decision was pretty reasonable and the person's just trying to raise public support because the Imms can't share private details like that. See Myzec, Vannor, etc etc.

Elissa

Post by Elissa » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:36 am

Naerin wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:12 am
I don't know the character's past, but pretty much every time there's a public post like this, it turns out the Imm decision was pretty reasonable and the person's just trying to raise public support because the Imms can't share private details like that. See Myzec, Vannor, etc etc.
I could understand this mentality if he was denied prior to becoming known. After becoming known, it seems really weird that his suddenly "checkered past" becomes an issue.

Like, why bother letting him work his way up the chain to be one step (?) away from achieving remort only to be told to start over after the moratorium begins?

Naerin

Post by Naerin » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:41 am

Elissa wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:36 am
Naerin wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:12 am
I could understand this mentality if he was denied prior to becoming known. After becoming known, it seems really weird that his suddenly "checkered past" becomes an issue.

Like, why bother letting him work his way up the chain to be one step (?) away from achieving remort only to be told to start over after the moratorium begins?
Lots of reasons are possible - there weren't many Imm checks along the way to begin with (anyone could become a DF) so the main one was going Known. But once there, there have been a few Knowns with some...problematic ways of going through the process. At least two I can think of, which is a lot when there are like 7 total. I can understand Imms' hesitation to keep someone in the process, especially someone who's only done the smobbing/eq gathering piece (not the hard part of DF), if they think they'd need to intervene later on.

Naerin

Post by Naerin » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:45 am

Just for clarity, the previous process was basically:

1) Become a DF (anyone could do this for the price of a gring)
2) Turn in eq and do various quests in order to get to 1k altqp
3) PK the rest of the way

#1 had no check, #2 took time but wasn't especially *hard*, and #3 is where everyone got stuck. While making it to 1k is an achievement, it's closer to mastering than remorting - everyone would eventually get there if they played the character