new player event

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
werf

new player event

Post by werf » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:38 pm

We were discussing the game on Discord and I felt compelled to bring about this topic:

I would like to set some personal goals for the game that I think would better everyone's experience if we can manage to hit them regarding bringing in new players. True blue, new players.

The target:
In an upcoming month not yet decided on, I want to try and introduce the following targets for us as a playerbase:

- 5 new players (good)
- 8 new players (better)
-10+ new players (best)

How we are going to do this:
At this time, I am very open to brainstorming this event in terms of how we plan on going about recruitment, however the following methods will be available to volunteer for, report on, and carry out action items to seek out these new players. Your input is welcome and we will need volunteers. Those action items to prepare for this event will be as follows..

- researching what facebook groups we can create a well curated post that invites players to reach out to one of us a representative and get them setup for the game. We will need a list of these potential facebook groups and we can post them here then divvy out who will post and what frequency (probably one post per week for the month).

- researching reddit pages that might be potential hot spots for recruiting new players, the name of those reddit channels, and similiar action item as shown above.

- grassroots (libraries) a list of public libraries someone is willing to make a flyer, brochure, or willing to meet with various groups that meet through the library to talk about how wonderful the series is and the interactive part the game offers. This will be very hands on, naturally and will require a great deal of effort as it will be in person but, it could be a very good approach.

- grassroots (game shops) ideally a list of local table top/boardgame/video game stores that would allow you to post a flyer or brochure boasting how clever/hard/fun this game is. We can work together as a group to refine these selling points/content prior to distributing, but we will need someone to help us develop a list of places we can engage with potential new players, work with the business owner, and ideally get in front of players.

In game readiness:
We will identify "ambassadors" who will change their titles to something easily recognizable to new players in event they wander in by themselves. It is crucial we be available to answer questions and provide explicit instructions to do the basics because lets be honest, there's a bit of a learning curve - particularly with those that have not played a mud before. Ideally we'll find some that have, but I want to take a broader approach to finding new players wherever they are so that might mean this is all brand new for them all the way around i.e. logging into the game via a client/telnet/setting up mudlet/etc.

I think Adael's mudlet and map will be MASSIVE in this. It paints a much better picture with the mapper available, and I can only imagine it will help retain new players. I will speak to Adael about this more but, I strongly believe this will play a massive role in first impressions and maintaining interest.

I challenge the staff to award rares or some sort of unique title akin to a master title for who can bring in the most players. This benefits the game and everyone in it, and it should not be taken lightly. The stipulations may be these new players not only have to play, but get to level 30 and log in regularly over the course of a month or two. Whatever the staff decides, that is fine by me but I think we should award those that grow the game and contribute on this level in some capacity. I also believe in awarding those that go the extra mile. I hope they see the benefit to this cause and can rally behind me.

I will open the "brainstorming phase" for 2 weeks, and then we will reassess if we need more time. Bring all of your best ideas here. I want everyone to see them so we can work out logistics behind them. When we are done brainstorming, we will take a poll for what we want to do, then people will be able to sign up and volunteer for what they feel most comfortable in contributing to. We will do this in stages and keep everyone informed here as a mega thread.

Lets discuss :twisted: :D

werf

Re: new player event

Post by werf » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:17 am

nobody is interested in this? :?

Asandra

Post by Asandra » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:22 am

It has not been even a day man! Let us think!

Chloro

Post by Chloro » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:10 am

I am down for this! Has anyone ever considered putting facebook posts up in the Wot groups/Wot Show groups to let them know we exist? The Tower thanks you in advance for its new charges!

huck

Post by huck » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:33 am

My suggestion would be to pick a DS clan like Ghar and a LS clan like BGs where most active players have an alt. Then ask the mud to be active on those alts for a target month when you run that campaign. Imms provide bonus rewards to those two clans during the month to promote activity. Then have the first 2 weeks being a character level and gear focus and the last two weeks be a smob and pk focus based on the new people’s preferences. It would probably require a change of mindset from many players to be more nurturing and supportive rather than self focused. I respect your efforts to bring new people in and wish you success in your attempt.

Rig

Post by Rig » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:12 pm

Bring me a Miser brothers summer

Gesin

Post by Gesin » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:18 pm

I volunteer to help with Crier XP Scalps and get them to level 30 quickly. The Browns have my full notes, too, and hopefully we can get some of them to help with the scalps.

werf

Post by werf » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:51 pm

I'll leave this open until friday, those that have offered to help will be contacted and we'll convene outside of forums to put our plan into action. I would still like to hear from the staff and whether or not they can support this effort in some capacity and obviously it's going to take more of us to really make this benefit all of us. Any help is appreciated.

werf

Post by werf » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:53 pm

just to clarify, we need more volunteers basically.

Feneon

Post by Feneon » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:53 am

It's great to volunteer your time to support the game.

We need more volunteers.

We will not be offering in-game rewards to players for volunteering their time.

We may be able to do something like reward an additional title slot on who, e.g.

Feneon [Really Great Ambassador]