Mangler's awesome TV show thread!

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Mangler

Mangler's awesome TV show thread!

Post by Mangler » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:48 am

Much like the book thread! No spoilers please. Just say if you're watching something good, what it is, and why it's good.

Mostly I'm starting this thread because there's so much great TV at the moment I'm having a hard time even keeping up. Stupid being an adult.

I just finished Fargo season 2 (awesome). Half way through Mr Robot season 1 (really enjoying). Eagerly awaiting TWD return! Oh I also finished The Expanse season 1. I thought they made a great show out of a great book, albeit not 100% happy with some of the casting.

The two shows I'm most enjoying that are ongoing are The 100, and Marvel's Agent Carter. Both well work a watch.

I'm curious has anyone watched Supergirl, The Colony, Man in a High Castle, Limitless, Minority Report? If so are they good?

edrin

Re: Mangler's awesome TV show thread!

Post by edrin » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:44 am

Docter Who, if you aren't already become a whovian you wont regret it... Much!

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:58 am

Both Limitless and Minority Report continue the stories after the movies, but the focus is on different characters than in the movies, although Bradley Cooper has a cameo on an episode of Limitless.

For me, both shows became a bit boring after the first five or so episodes, not because I found the bad but the story progression just seemed too slow, there weren't any interesting and exciting twists happening, and just started feeling like just another show with an extraordinary main protagonist and a cop/agent sidekick. If you're a big fan of the movies you might like them better.

Black Sails - a show about the events and characters which inspired and are prequel to R.L. Stevenson's "Treasure Island". Amazing show, talented cast, exciting story with good plot twists and most importantly - pirates!

The Knick - about a lead surgeon in a hospital in New York in 1900. The show is mostly about him and his demons, innovations in medicine and surgical procedures, the rest of the hospital staff and the various issues during that time period that had some influence on the hospital and medicine in general. A bit like House but, uh, without so much comedy material and more Breaking Bad-like material.

Hell On Wheels - another AMC show (like TWD), set in the post American Civil War West, when the railroad was making it's way towards the western US. The name of the show is the name of the "mobile town" which follows the railroad company and all the people in it - workers, engineers, foremans, prostitutes, saloon owners etc. Mainly focused on the main character who was a former Confederate soldier who stumbles upon Hell On Wheels while pursuing a personal goal of his and ends up entangled in the games of the town in the process. Going to stop here so that I don't spoil anything.

Chicago Med/PD/FD - yes, another ER/cop/fireman show(s) but so far one of the most entertaining ones, and worth checking out. CFD was the first, then CPD was the first spin off and (I think) due to great ratings and a big fan base, a third spin off, CMED, was ordered.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - comedy cop show, think Lonely Island/SNL does a cop show. Great cast, great comedy.

X-Files - they're back, and don't really need an introduction :ugeek: :geek: :mrgreen:

Death Billiards/Death Parade - this last one is an anime, not sure if you want this here, but it's one of the more interesting stories I've seen in an anime/tv show so far. The short movie Death Billiards was made first then the show Death Parade was made from it. It's basically about judgement when two people die at the same time, they are sent to this place where there are abiters, and the rest I'll leave for you to find out if you check it out. Again, so that I don't spoil anything. :)

I'm curious if anyone has seen Stan Lee's Lucky Man?

Mangler

Post by Mangler » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:04 am

Black Sails, The Knick and Brooklyn Nine-Nine get a hearty thumbs up from me also.

Maybe I'll have to give Hell on Wheels another go. I got bored in the first episode and didn't go back. Having said that I haven't got time for the shows I am watching :P

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:10 am

Mangler wrote:Black Sails, The Knick and Brooklyn Nine-Nine get a hearty thumbs up from me also.

Maybe I'll have to give Hell on Wheels another go. I got bored in the first episode and didn't go back. Having said that I haven't got time for the shows I am watching :P
I think you'll give a hearty thumbs up for HOW as well if you do go back to it. The show really picks up after first two episodes and just gets better from there on. To me it's just as entertaining as Black Sails. Swede is one of the best characters in a tv show I've seen (uh, I don't remember if he's in the first episode so I apologize if I spoiled that ) :P ;) :)

Lenara

Post by Lenara » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:23 am

Minority report is great for perving on Megan Goods ass. Other than that, I love the premise but couldn't quite get into it. Limitless I enjoyed more. The same very predictable episodic with general story arch type layout but Limitless just seemed to have overall better acting and story line. Without the amazing ass :(

The colony I enjoyed the first episode and have plans to continue watching but had been busy with Uni exams and so on. It comes across as mostly realistic post mini-apocolyptic dystopian setting, but there are hints of some sci fi, alien stuff in there which I love. I am a huge sci fi fan, and my favourite is always when something is mostly realistic with hints of sci-fi/fantasy.

The Man in the High Castle I also watched the first episode because Phillip K Dick. Wasnt as in to it, but that is mostly due to it being more of an alternative future type sci-fi, than an actual sciencey sci-fi, and I generally despise history which it is big on. I didn't hate it though, which probably says a lot towards it being most likely good in a genre I don't like.

I have considered watching The 100. Honestly I have heard pretty good things about it but I just can't get past the fact it is CW network. Puts me off every time I consider it properly. But I can add you to the current list of people who I know aren't retarded teenagers who like it...

Oh also is the Fargo show fine to watch if you haven't see the movie? And yes I KNOW, I can't believe I haven't seen the movie either, it is on my to watch list everywhere for the last few years but I never quite seem to get around to it

Mangler

Post by Mangler » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:26 pm

I understand the CW reservation in some ways. Having said that they're also producing Arrow (pretty enjoyable comic book stuff), The Flash (total cheesefest but again quite enjoyable), iZombie (hilarious!).

The 100 kind of started strangely CW ish, teeny angst style. I was dubious but I persevered through 3 or 4 episodes. Then it turned into one of the best, most moreish dark dystopian future style thing on TV.

Grabel

Post by Grabel » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:03 pm

tv shows i enjoy aside from the obvious WD and GoT:

The 100
Orphan black ( cant really say anything without spoiling, but its sciency sci-fi. Kind of)
The Almighty Johnsons (basically norse mythology in new zealand. comedy drama. love this show)
Supernatural
Fringe
Continuum
Turn (about spies during the revolutionary war. enjoyed that)
The last kingdom (set during alfred the greats reign in britain. liked it alot more than vikings. Based on the saxon stories by Bernard Cornwell)

Alison

Post by Alison » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:10 pm

Doctor who. limitless is good. the flash. legends of tomorrow due to its time travel in dc universe. Pretty decent and I love that snart is rl gay. Arrow and supergirl. Sliders is good old season to watch.
Loved BrooklYn 99 . Can't understand game of thrones. Boring as heck.
Overall some good stuff out there but I have little time to watch it. Netflix caters to some nice start and stop series. eg Daredevil. better than the movie. Sense 8 for far out connections between 8 strangers that can access each others memories. Be warned it is quite graphic and done by wachowski brother and sister.

Gretchen

Post by Gretchen » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:32 pm

agents of shield
limitless
the expanse
the shannara chronicles
the walking dead
under the dome
z nation
dc's leagends of tomorrow
the frankinstien chronicles
ash vs the evil dead
once upon a time
the brink
supergirl
the bastard executioner
izombie
agent carter
jesica jones
zoo
heros reborn

and many more i watch to much tv atm ......