Too much PK

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
faul

Re: Too much PK

Post by faul » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:26 am

Some pretty good advice in this thread -- basically boils down to accepting that PK is a part of this game and considering the following:

1) PK will find you, but you will eventually learn to escape it - between maps, wiki, no mystery to mechanics, etc. it does not get very hard to avoid PK, or at least push the person/people trying to PK you into dangerous situations if they want to do it. Can tell you the ones that you named aren't people that will take big risks to kill you once you start pushing them in that direction, so that could happen sooner than you think if you continue playing.

2) The cost to dying in PK just isn't that high anymore -- you're not in the circle for 15 tics anymore (which used to translate to ~20 minutes irl), levels are easy, equipment is easy/free, advancement is relatively easy, etc. I think easiest thing is a shift in perspective that dying just isn't that big of a deal, you take your 5 and then continue your day.

3) There is plenty to do on this game -- something in there should pull you in strong enough that you can at least learn to play around and through the PK.

4) The only time getting PKed should really be offensive is if you're on a sub-level 20 character, when you're not at the keyboard, or connected to the game (linkdead) because you are getting literally nothing out of the experience and neither are the players who are doing that to you -- empty QPs from killing afk/ld people is worth mocking. I'll personally mock the people for farming people who are clearly not able to do anything, but that's more annoying than anything and it'd be better if they didn't. But killing people who are playing the game is not something you can realistically consider against the rule/spirit of the game. Which is why you can get rank 12 fade from repeatedly killing people smobbing on their phones, but nobody will actually ever respect you.

The best advice, far and away, on this thread is from Etain:
The question you have to ask yourself is, does your enjoyment of two of the central elements of WoTMUD outweigh your dislike of the third? I've been predominantly an RPer since I started, and like you, I don't care for PK, after multiple attempts to learn. Right now I'm on a month-long (so far) break from WoTMUD, asking myself that same question. It sounds like you've put some time into leveling your character, and made some plans for the path you wanted to take in the future, so I'm going to advise you to take some time, talk to some people, maybe give learning PK a serious try if you're up for it. If, after doing those things, you still can't reconcile yourself to the idea of dealing with being PKed, then you should walk away. Don't make a hasty decision, but if you're not enjoying yourself, there's no reason to make yourself continue.
It's not something that anyone likes to put out there on a game that already does not have that many players, but the perspective here is good -- at the end of the day, WoTMUD is a game that's pretty niche and there's a calculus in maintaining the niche (which has players, albeit few) or making it into something completely different ("opt-in PK") which risks the uphill slog of potentially losing the few people that still do play with, honestly, still-limited prospects of attracting people to play.