weather changes

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Gretchen

weather changes

Post by Gretchen » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:24 am

aka how to change fc dmg without saying thats what your doing .......

Paigey

Re: weather changes

Post by Paigey » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:56 am

What's your argument/data Gretchen. The changes have been in for 1 day. Even in the historic weather patterns for the game the temperate zones that underwent the most weather changes still had hot and cold days across the course of an IRL week albeit - 0-30 was probably over represented...

Is there such tremendous variation throughout the day that you constantly have to figure out weather to spike or fireball or what are you saying?

iria

Post by iria » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:33 am

Seems like an interesting change that might open up to weird weave combinations. I'm guessing those who go ice spikes/fireball won't feel a huge difference, but it may allow for people who play without fireball to try other combinations suitable for night time/colder weather.

I'm more hesitant with the exhausted message for channelers. I always liked the element that you had to actually pay attention to how much an FC had been weaving to sort of calculate how many spikes she has left in her. But maybe this way is better :) Interesting changes for sure.

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:45 pm

Idk about the weather yet. The room-wide channeler message seems like a nerf and idk why we need more of those at this point but oh well. Not a big deal. Might be fun to fool someone into thinking you've got less SPs than you do.
Paigey wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:56 am
What's your argument/data Gretchen. The changes have been in for 1 day. Even in the historic weather patterns for the game the temperate zones that underwent the most weather changes still had hot and cold days across the course of an IRL week albeit - 0-30 was probably over represented...

Is there such tremendous variation throughout the day that you constantly have to figure out weather to spike or fireball or what are you saying?
I am guessing that since there will be milder weather overall vs flipping back and forth between extremes, then the higher damage rolls for fireball and ice spikes won't be happening as much which leads to an overall damage output reduction. We'll see I guess, seems like it might be marginal.

Paigey

Post by Paigey » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:01 pm

In 2017 Hress put the following on Wotmud Archives
-------------
1) Ice spike
Damage depends on temperature. Wind/Rain/Snow has no affect on it.
Damage:
t:0-55, 8d16
t:60-65, 8d9
t:70-95, 8d7

4) Fireball
Damage depends on temperature, Wind has no affect on it, Rain/Snow lowers its damage.
Damage(without rain/snow):
t:0-15, 15d3
t:20-25, 13d4
t:30-35, 12d6
t:40-95, 8d16
-------------

Unless he's wrong the spectrum for each weave to be at its maximum damage is very large. Each weave has a large band where its perfect, a small band where it overlaps with the other weave and still functions well, and then just the opposite end where you shouldn't be using it but where the other weave works. As long as you have ice spikes and fireball you can cover both ends.

If he's wrong then perhaps this will be more complicated since it does seem designed to produce a temperature spectrum.

Harun

Post by Harun » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:23 pm

iria wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:33 am
I'm more hesitant with the exhausted message for channelers. I always liked the element that you had to actually pay attention to how much an FC had been weaving to sort of calculate how many spikes she has left in her. But maybe this way is better :) Interesting changes for sure.
I think it will help inasmuch as so many players run from channies when they should be chasing - letting the channies regen SPs - then whine when they wait 3 tics, hit again, and eat weaves.

Gretchen

Post by Gretchen » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:36 pm

yeh i dont like the emote thing but can live with it

the weather stuff tho its basically made ice spikes almost useless for 3/4 of the year in most areas of the map

knock on effects for smobing and stuff to its a lot harder to solo smobs atm

just watch the few channies that are left stop playing .....

Sarinda

Post by Sarinda » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:21 pm

That’s an interesting perspective on weather changes. For me, it just makes it that much more imperative that channelers need to be prepared to weave in the full spectrum of temperature, and use practice setups with at least one weave that functions in warm weather.

The only change this is likely to have for me is to make me check weather more consistently, and switch between Fireball and Ice Spikes more often. I’m curious if lightning will persist longer in more seasons now that rain seems to be occurring more often naturally, or if lightning will happen naturally more often, because Call Lightning may be more viable for wilders. Kin may be at a unique disadvantage because of the RP limitations on clanned weaves in group settings.

I have a lot more data collection to go over the next few weeks before I can speak to weather patterns and offer further critical thoughts.

As for the channeler message on being tapped, I am rarely letting myself weave that low in PK and always try to keep above Fading when possible through SP management. I’m actually glad about the change because it will help me in channeler versus channeler PK and so I don’t have to keep announcing “tapped” in smob groups! :lol:

Gretchen

Post by Gretchen » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:27 pm

yeh can also emote it in pvp to bait them in to hiting
if u do it enough they wont even hit when u are taped lol

isabel

Post by isabel » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:42 am

Can't emote to trollocs though, and also I think that may not be allowed.

But it does feel unnecessary because it's one of the things people should be calculating. Like a good chaser will have a sense of when the troll is low on moves - you could bypass it by having the tracks "look haphazard" sort of like an exhausted person dragging their feet etc but it's taking the skill out of it a little bit.

Also RPishly i imagine Aes Sedai would be trained to not show weakness / exhaustion!