weather changes

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Kilgore

Re: weather changes

Post by Kilgore » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:14 am

isabel wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:42 am
Can't emote to trollocs though, and also I think that may not be allowed.

But it does feel unnecessary because it's one of the things people should be calculating. Like a good chaser will have a sense of when the troll is low on moves - you could bypass it by having the tracks "look haphazard" sort of like an exhausted person dragging their feet etc but it's taking the skill out of it a little bit.

Also RPishly i imagine Aes Sedai would be trained to not show weakness / exhaustion!
or when you are fading do not type channel 'ice spikes' and you will have proven that you are a good Aes Sedai.

If you cannot calculate how many spell points you have then your enemies should know.

This change only matters if you, as a channeler, you just mindlessly type channel 'ice spikes' until you can no longer cast them and then release and narrate spent.

If you do that then the weather change will annoy you because it raises the skill required to output good damage on a channeler. Change weather still exists to incrementally impact weather, so you have more ways to impact your gameplay than typing weather and choosing ice spikes or fireball.

The perk to this change overall is that if you are not consistently checking your surroundings and modifying them then you will do slightly less damage. Which means it might be more reasonable to fight multiple channelers. This is a boon if you are a channeler trying to get qps through PK.

Rig

Post by Rig » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:20 am

Kilgore wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:14 am
If you cannot calculate how many spell points you have then your enemies should know.

This change only matters if you, as a channeler, you just mindlessly type channel 'ice spikes' until you can no longer cast them and then release and narrate spent.
I feel so called out :cry:

Sarinda

Post by Sarinda » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:30 am

Kilgore wrote:
isabel wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:42 am
Can't emote to trollocs though, and also I think that may not be allowed.

But it does feel unnecessary because it's one of the things people should be calculating. Like a good chaser will have a sense of when the troll is low on moves - you could bypass it by having the tracks "look haphazard" sort of like an exhausted person dragging their feet etc but it's taking the skill out of it a little bit.

Also RPishly i imagine Aes Sedai would be trained to not show weakness / exhaustion!
or when you are fading do not type channel 'ice spikes' and you will have proven that you are a good Aes Sedai.

If you do that then the weather change will annoy you because it raises the skill required to output good damage on a channeler. Change weather still exists to incrementally impact weather, so you have more ways to impact your gameplay than typing weather and choosing ice spikes or fireball.

The perk to this change overall is that if you are not consistently checking your surroundings and modifying them then you will do slightly less damage. Which means it might be more reasonable to fight multiple channelers. This is a boon if you are a channeler trying to get qps through PK.
I agree with everything here! Well said.

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:46 pm

I already compulsively check weather more than is necessary, I'm sure. The weather was wonky before and I am glad it is being looked at / changed.

That said, this:
Kilgore wrote:
the weather change will annoy you because it raises the skill required to output good damage on a channeler.
constitutes a nerf to the class. The skill required to do the same damage output as one did before the change has been raised. No?

Two things can be true at once.

To back up Gretchen a bit:

None of these comments address Gretchen's point of 3/4ths of smobs being much harder for a channeler solo. I will take her word on that since Gretch is a master of that kind of thing. This also translates to being of less use in a smob group; less damage. Might as well take a warrior instead in nearly every instance for the bash stunlock and good damage output. Which, as someone who enjoys being solo, does matter to me also.

My rogue, in contrast, is a pleasure to play and that's basically all I am playing anymore. The warrior is fun when I want some mindless bashing and not worrying. I can play the warrior on my phone. The channeler feels like I need to keep a myriad of plates spinning just to be on an even footing with other classes. SPs management, buffs, debuffs, on-the-fly wimpy changes, short weave or long weave, managing targets (channeling at "dark" will result in weaves hitting at random) to name some. Pracing 'change weather' to keep the weather ideal for my basic damage output is one more plate to spin. In other words: it is a high skill cap class without the accompanying benefit of being high skill cap. Don't mind the high skill cap in of itself, that's what makes the PK fun and exciting for me... but all that just to be on an even footing feels bad man.

IDK again in general, great that the weather is being looked at. I am ever hopeful that if a change results in bad knock-on effects then it will be addressed down the line. I'm not trying to be a misanthrope or anything and I hope that the imms aren't discouraged by discussion / criticism!

Aureus

Post by Aureus » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:01 pm

Reyne wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:46 pm
I hope that the imms aren't discouraged by discussion / criticism!
Nope, we are not. Discussion and criticism come with the territory of the volunteer hats we put on.

FWIW we have talked in the past about SP management being more fiddly with being seized/embraced or released and how tic timing works than we would like. This will change in the future to make it less reliant on having a good tic timer.

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:43 pm

Aureus wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:01 pm
FWIW we have talked in the past about SP management being more fiddly with being seized/embraced or released and how tic timing works than we would like. This will change in the future to make it less reliant on having a good tic timer.
<3

Sarinda

Post by Sarinda » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:38 pm

Aureus wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:01 pm
Reyne wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:46 pm
I hope that the imms aren't discouraged by discussion / criticism!
Nope, we are not. Discussion and criticism come with the territory of the volunteer hats we put on.

That sounds great! I wonder if a static SP recovery process would be viable overall for a channeler. Personally I think the higher skill cap comes with the benefit of being more likely to kill low HP targets regardless of their equipment setup as long as I am not drastically outnumbered. And I do like that channelers have probably the highest skill ceiling among the base classes.

Aureus, there is a zone just north of Tear, I think including the rooms immediately out north gate and maybe the zone immediately west of there, that seem to be temperate climates with cold weather. Is that intentional?