Roleplay subjects brainstorming - input requested

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Elysia

Roleplay subjects brainstorming - input requested

Post by Elysia » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:17 pm

I'm contemplating doing something to "guide" RP, or give people ideas on what to do and then give bonuses on roleplaying within those subjects. I have a small list, but ideally, I'd like a long list of options and then every 2 months or so, roll a dice and pick subjects randomly.

E.g.:
roleplay with crossrace
roleplay with more than 4 people total
roleplay with a sameside enemy, e.g. Tear vs Mayene or *oL vs Tower
roleplay while hunting criminals (smobbing)

roleplay the start of a disagreement
roleplay mediation of a disagreement
roleplay making amends for a mistake/ disagreement
roleplay doing a good deed
roleplay acting dishonorably/ undesirable traits
roleplay conflicting conscience

roleplay a medical condition
roleplay a psychological condition
roleplay involving an unwell npc

roleplay teaching something
roleplay learning something
roleplay bungling something up

roleplay in Arad Doman
roleplay in Mayene
roleplay in Saldaea etc.

Obviously, anything you act out would become part of your character, so you can start a conflict with someone, but that could have roleplay consequences.

I'm hoping that with a big enough pool, I can group these things and do one from each group and have it rotate, so the subjects will vary over the course of a year.

Nylen

Re: Roleplay subjects brainstorming - input requested

Post by Nylen » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:43 pm

Elysia wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:17 pm

roleplay a psychological condition
"Roleplay", yes... that's what I've been doing.

Emily

Post by Emily » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:29 pm

As a Wisdom, I think about different nuances with roleplay a lot. I hope you don't mind, but here's some brainstorming I've done, mainly based off of my own thinking of how I can spice up and incorporate RP. I removed the ones you already had covered in your list.

roleplay using an item as prop (ie: book of the Travels of Jain Farstrider)
roleplay with an item of a certain color
roleplay utilizing the Description of a room
roleplay utilizing/centered on the Room Name of a room
roleplay using your sense of Smell
roleplay where you feed or cloth someone (ie: Mothering them)
roleplay heavily using the Argle semote command
roleplay utilizing equipment (ie: if in heavy metal abs, clanking around or bulkily bumping into things. Or retooling a cloak for your RP)
roleplay cooking or customizing food (RP rank 3 bonus)
roleplay reflecting the current weather or season/month (hot, cold, rainy, snowy, etc)
roleplay based on a mob (giving coins to a beggar, listening to the news of a crier, gossiping with an old village woman)
roleplay from someone's WHOIS description (if their WHOIS says they have blond hair or is short, mention or interact with that)
roleplay based off of someone's Rank or Title (might be a cheap shot with all those Aes Sedai)

Sarinda

Post by Sarinda » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:43 pm

I like the idea of a bonus/objective of RP with, or as, someone from a certain clan or set of clans (e.g., RP with or as a Queen’s Guard, or with someone from any justice organization).

I also like the idea of RP based around a specific topic. Like, Staff could make a post about a specific event affecting the world, and then could offer a bonus that month to any RP session that happens in a specific related location or involving that subject. Like a manegerie passing through Far Madding, and then allow bonuses to anyone (1) RPing with or as a Wall Guard, (2) with or as any Gleeman or Illuminator, or (3) anyone inside Far Madding who references the menagerie in their scene.

Rodger

Post by Rodger » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:30 pm

As someone that usually is more on the PK side, here are two I've enjoyed

Giving a William Wallace type speech before a battle

Giving a roleplayish recap of a recent battle to someone who wasn't there (then post it with the log).

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:53 pm

I love these ideas! If you have any more, I'm all ears!

Sarinda

Post by Sarinda » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:54 pm

Roleplay on a river boat, ocean ship, or (obviously preferred) Atha’an Miere raker! ;)

Fuujin

Post by Fuujin » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:10 pm

roleplay:
*visiting a town or city, esp for the first time
*performing mundane tasks (sweeping the stables, cleaning the barracks, organizing the medical supplies)
*being on guard duty or watch
*camping in the woods
*being on vacation

*giving a briefing to a superior (logistics/intel/scouting/finance reports to a senior officer, for example)
*giving orders/instructions to a subordinate
*discussing recent news
*a cross cultural interaction (such as between a Cairhienin and a Tairen or A wetlander and an Aiel)
*interrogating someone/being interrogated

*getting lost
*playing a game
*treating an injury

Prykor

Post by Prykor » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:12 pm

not to revive the ye olden war system, but interactions between clans and jurisdictions -- and with a very heavy RP flavor to them, and with a very heavy slant in tone and terms to push an agenda.

Topic areas in line of :
Negotiation of treaties, terms, and conditions,
Enforcement of treaty payments and violations,
Posturing and somewhat hostile stand-off towards neutral/3rd parties

A fantastic example is Shinobi's ToL post and responses to the KMG incidents - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15998 (honestly, he and the CW's supporting those posts being put together should've been awarded a qp or three for each of those posts!).

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:25 am

Prykor wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:12 pm
not to revive the ye olden war system, but interactions between clans and jurisdictions -- and with a very heavy RP flavor to them, and with a very heavy slant in tone and terms to push an agenda.

Topic areas in line of :
Negotiation of treaties, terms, and conditions,
Enforcement of treaty payments and violations,
Posturing and somewhat hostile stand-off towards neutral/3rd parties

A fantastic example is Shinobi's ToL post and responses to the KMG incidents - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15998 (honestly, he and the CW's supporting those posts being put together should've been awarded a qp or three for each of those posts!).
Treaties being signed is already awarded for, as is roleplay in this regard. We don't want to push people towards being friendly with other nations just for bonus qps though, because that changes the game's landscape too much and some clans will have a far easier time with this than others.

CW's stuff is already rewardable under the current rp qps.