The Winter Dragon: It's a season for code blogs

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Sarja

Re: The Winter Dragon: It's a season for code blogs

Post by Sarja » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:59 am

Stock Circle code does something similarly binary with light vs dark where it defines characteristics of a dark room first. Light rooms are anything other than that. I do not see an in-between and am an unsure of what functions use the light vs. dark code to be able to check for grayscale because I do not have full code files.

I think there can be some flexibility with the WOT calendar. I googled the WOT calendar and found this website to have detail: https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Calendar. The website notes there are 28 days of each month and 13 months with a variable amount of days on month 13. There are intercalations on a lunisolar calendar that are days added to make the lunar calendar match the solar calendar. This is why month 13 is variable. There are also some feast days (a feast every four years, a feast every ten years, etc.). I think we would be fine to have 12 months of 28 days and 1 month of 29 days. Jordan was writing based on our knowledge of astronomy and was not coding. That also assumes WOT occurs on Earth.

In terms of lunar phases, I have an idea on how to incorporate them. There are 4 lunar phases in a month: Waxing crescent (dark), waxing gibbous (light), waning gibbous (light), waning crescent (dark). Waxing phases are growing, with the full moon in the middle, and then the moon wanes away. That would be the simplest way for me to think of the moon in terms of code.

A conditional statement could be added onto the dark vs. light rooms to incorporate days 1-7 and 22-28 as dark. Using stock Circle logic, anything otherwise would be light.

Weather code usually defines night as 10 PM to 5 AM. Players could be kept informed of the moon's progress by inserting a line around midnight or so that sends to them a message if outdoors about the status of the moon. (send_to_outdoor("The moon shows as X\r\n"). X would be a simple statement like "a growing crescent", "growing to fullness", "waning away from fullness", "waning away."

Thank you.