Any interest in mentoring?

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
arston

Any interest in mentoring?

Post by arston » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:06 pm

I have been asked by an increasing number of new players recently what a "good" first clan is, and in the past, there have been several clans that did a really good job of taking new players under their wing, teaching them the basics and getting them both pk ready and showing how to reequip and gear up and things; but I am not sure who to recommend at the moment. If anyone is interested in either providing this type of mentorship, or in finding a clan that is doing so please send me a message on forums or reply to this post here.

In order to support this type of mentorship, if there are people interested in it I would like to donate the treasury funds to pay for two clans to get master bonus for a month, once they get some new players that are high enough rank to use it. For an example, if Companions and DOTS (or EVA and Civil Watch) (or calvalry and lancers) both want to mentor some new players, then when their new players get to 150 qps they will get master bonus for a month and get to try out how postures and mobs work, etc. That way they all have someone to fight against, they have
a specific goal to work towards, and it brings back some pk into areas that have been dead for a while.

Atkins

Re: Any interest in mentoring?

Post by Atkins » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:29 pm

I'm happy to help someone out if their playtime falls alongside mine (10ish-5ish). Ss, col,ds, or otherwise.

Skylan

Post by Skylan » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:07 pm

I certainly wouldn't be the best PK mentor but would be happy to have a Companion to tag along with me as we both learn, along with other adventuring. Time zones are probably the biggest barrier. I'm east coast and mostly available evenings so just depends on if that works for them.

It would be helpful to see a post of the available clans and number of active members from each to get an idea where things are at now. A census of some sort?

Prykor

Post by Prykor » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:12 pm

From a purely clan-based evaluation, I'd say the tower would be the best place to get started for learning the ropes.

While many clans have 1-4 fantastic mentoring folks, timezones and play times can get in the way of the ammount of pk/smob/re-eq coaching and mentoring, the tower's rp and rp-pk WITH LOGS on their forum provides a great place for a character to read and learn -- which is much more valuable to a new player, as this MUD can be a bit of a firehose of information with a lot of things to learn (though the market stuff has helped a lot, learning how to farm gold and you are set on most basic eq/playstyles).

Though, most any clan has access to the tower section of the forums, so any of the clans that are active enough to rank the newbie will be fine.
Normally, I'd recommend DS as the culture and unified stance of the entire who list (no SS or known DFs to worry about giving intel to...) so you get a lot more open and honest information... but unless there are 3-4 others on, it's hard to start stuff up that would be appropriate for the newbie to:
1 - have good learning experience
2 - be useful
3 - have fun

consistently on the side. If the best answer to re-gear after a PK rip is to alt to a stabber and takes ways to a place that has stabbable smobs..... not helpful for a newbie (though the clan chest will help a lot once they get that far).
That said, it's good to get the experience of both LS and DS, and there's usually a few people who will hop over in 15 mins after a "hey can somebody get on DS and help me out a bit" messages goes out.

Ragyn

Post by Ragyn » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:13 pm

Wouldn't mind taking on a new player who wants to become a Gaidin under my wing or just a mentor ship while they find their footing and a clan they like. Doesn't matter to me if they want to become Pkers, pvers or rpers. Although I would probably be weakest at the RP aspect of the mud, as it hasn't interested me too much throughout my stay here. Feel free to direct any of them my way, although I'm not as active as I used to be, but perhaps having a new player to teach will bring back the activity. I'm in EU timezone, so likely will not be able to meet as frequently with americans during the weekdays, unless they play in the early afternoon their time.

I've enjoyed sharing my experience and what I've learned throughout my stay here with the few folks who've reached out to me and it is probably those experiences that have had the longest impression on me.

Great initiative though Aston.

plando

Post by plando » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:35 am

Prykor wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:12 pm
From a purely clan-based evaluation, I'd say the tower would be the best place to get started for learning the ropes.
If you're into doing pretty much nothing for hours on end while you get through the beginning phases sure.

I'd say join any of the following:

CoL
Queens Guard
Civil Watch

They're active and would be good spots to learn from good people.

plando

Post by plando » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:36 am

for those that like to rp but also want to have an edge to their game. Feel free to contact me. there's room for you here amongst the illuminators and other clans.

plando

Post by plando » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:36 am

zero takers.