Nochannel Changes

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
byrg

Nochannel Changes

Post by byrg » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:52 pm

I feel like these have been mostly detrimental to pk. Lots of confusion about why nochanns aren't nochanns anymore, and not really anywhere to go to keep pk against groups with large number of channies going, aside from running all the way n to stedding, which half the time just kills the pk.

Can we perhaps look at either fully reverting this, or at least having *some* full nochanns still scattered around?

Aloisa

Re: Nochannel Changes

Post by Aloisa » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:53 pm

I think we should bring back the full no-chans. It was often better for pk and I don't feel as though it limited my options on a channeler.

Cordelia

Post by Cordelia » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:03 am

I don't mind the existence of hard-chans, but bring back a full no-channel or two -- specifically E U TV waygate and all e s w Camp. I think the most diplomatically I can put it is that the rationale for having zero full no channels is bad and compounded by the incentives for playing channelers these days.

Prykor

Post by Prykor » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:03 am

More no-chans around would help a lot.

They serve a similar role as the build-a-patty locations for DS -- keeps PK going, and much closer to LS areas, with much shorter distances to areas of support that doesn't mean running toward blight/stedding and hoping that LS chases fairly substantial distances to keep PK going.
The DS support near Caemlyn and Cara grasslands helps support a lot of pk in that area, for example.

Adding more no-chans, perhaps a few 2x2 rooms with thematic partial no-chans, and a number of the true no-chan would help immensely.

Give FCs more reasons to use 1h bladed weaponry and use a mood other than wimpy in combat! The current trend of 1-trick pony full dodge/staff with an assortment of damage weaves to bypass nearly all of the single and double element no-chan rooms really limits the usefulness of those rooms. It'd be one thing if most FCs were either unclanned or in a clan that doesn't get access to all of the weaves...but the unfortunate thing is that the tower with all of the weaves is by far the most prolific, which really hampers the use of the single and double element rooms (though there have been a few recent logs showing off the negative impact of area weaves when the caster isn't the group leader when those are used to bypass single/double elemental rooms), and the strongly negative results of taking pk to a portal stone will generally start a lot of mud flinging in yell/discord, so it would help to have more and better options available!

Atkins

Post by Atkins » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:23 am

IMO Partial chans should be used only in places where there are other options available. 100% for fully reverting these to no-chans.

Morella

Post by Morella » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:37 pm

Hard chans or mobol'd like, antichans would be neat.

I also also in favor of having some hard no-channels in the game if there are not steddings around.

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:04 pm

Not sure if this is possible or even interesting, just a thought.

Could you have a mob that does high level of emote damage on 'channel' command in the room and can be targeted and killed with melee? I've seen its possible to have mobs not attack back and possible to still have them have a decent amount of hit points.

Roleplay wise it could be a ter'angreal.

An ancient statue, surrounded by a shimmering mists sits here.

Then you could try to break the statue in melee or it just acts as a no channel.

The issue with the flat no channels was there is a big window where it doesn't make sense to hit at them and doesn't make sense for the other team to leave them...

Portal stones are a much more interesting no-channel compared to the stone remnants.

Sarinda

Post by Sarinda » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:23 pm

That is a really cool idea and I like it. Something that makes for dynamic gameplay like a CTF patrol.

Jestin

Post by Jestin » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:00 pm

Or what about emote damage after a successful weave, that way channies can still do damage but are going to take a lot of damage in return. Still can hit but it can turn the battle fast.

byrg

Post by byrg » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:45 pm

Jestin wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:00 pm
Or what about emote damage after a successful weave, that way channies can still do damage but are going to take a lot of damage in return. Still can hit but it can turn the battle fast.
imo *after* a weave still defeats the point in several cases... as then you're still back to there's nowhere to go when you're a weave or two from dead... since weaves would still work.