A Comprehensive History of WoTMUD

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Nylen

A Comprehensive History of WoTMUD

Post by Nylen » Thu May 26, 2022 1:02 pm

Hi all, Nylen here,

I saw a mention of some historical mud events on Discord, and it made me think about how much history the MUD really has, that is somewhat decentralized across the memories of many long-time players. The Rank 8 and Rank 9 names for my clan are 'Chronicler' and 'Historian', and even though I am neither of these (yet?) there are a lot of events that happened a decade or more before me that I've always heard about, such as the Bowl of the Winds Quest, some quest where Fades captured little boys, some dude named Huma, a Red Circle, the implementation of Seanchan, the introduction, removal, then re-implementation of Blademasters in a different form, something called a 'Blazetrailer' etc. etc. I thought it would be cool to put that knowledge into one place, have all you oldbies collaborate, and we could put together a timeline of events. This all could be an interesting page we could put on the website that a new player might be able to read and see how deep the history and lore of the MUD has been.

Some ideas for the Comprehensive History of WoTMUD (CHOW? Hmm... whatever, this acronym will work!):
  • Dates and descriptions of major code changes (abilities, Seanchan additions, fade stuff, weaves, ambush, etc.)
  • Dates of major zone additions
  • Dates, descriptions, participants for major global quests (Red Eagle War of Independence, Bowl of the Winds, raids on the Stone, CoL wars, etc.)
  • Dates of clan implementations or changes
  • Perhaps active periods and accomplishments of some of the more famous characters, first remorts, first Seanchan, that sort of thing
  • Links to classic PK and RP logs, any saved global quest logs people might have
The above are just some examples, and I realize some of this list might be a bit subjective in nature as to what people find important, but I thought it would be interesting.

- Nylen the Magnificent, Bardmaster Gleeman Extraordinaire

Lucore

Re: A Comprehensive History of WoTMUD

Post by Lucore » Thu May 26, 2022 1:21 pm

Alot of my early years were spent in the SW.

Lucore was my first real clanned character and I was clanned by Kesumi into the Children. At the time he was sort of the defacto leader of the Children of the Light, and for months after I clanned he was paving the way for CoL to bring the Light so to speak. Starting numerous wars against what seemed like real threats etc. Repeatedly told HoL to back off. In hindsight it was obvious but..

When he flipped, went to Darkside and became a fade, it was a huge shock for me. Around 2005 it was I think. From memory nobody had completed the DF process and faded in that way (ie not a dreadlord). Was pretty cool.

Turns out Aira was right all that time :lol:

Jeyid

Re: A Comprehensive History of WoTMUD

Post by Jeyid » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:30 am

I wanted to resurrect this thread now that I have joined the Gleemen. I would love to hear from people with their recollection of key events, especially if they can provide logs with details and dates.

I would also like to include a request to hear from people about their master quests, as I think those are great examples of in game legends.