Unique Policy

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Rig

Re: Unique Policy

Post by Rig » Mon May 23, 2022 12:11 pm

I’m just against alting them because then they get lost in the transit/end up on the other side (say I kill someone for ksword on my human and put it right back on DS to Rig or vice versa). It gives more of a chance for people who are actively in the pk to feel a sense of achievement for acquiring them from xxx side.

Feneon

Post by Feneon » Mon May 23, 2022 12:12 pm

We won’t release all uniques. We’ll start with four. If uniques become again a problem for policing we'll just remove them and code a solution to that problem, but it would be best if there wasn't an issue. Razhak has the right perspective on this. We cannot anticipate everything, but uniques are fun. These rules don't require a lot of policing.

Most players do not want to hyper focus on their own activity for fear of breaking the rules. We also do not want that. We want a mixture of common sense and a measure of abiding by the spirit of the rules. I will do the majority of the policing so if I see a discrepancy I will have a conversation with the character in question that will more often than not lead to a warning rather than a punishment. If the behavior persists then a punishment can be expected. If on activity I notice something that seems averse to the intention I will ask the player on discord or in game to just clarify it. Often times the perceived misdeeds of others are simply a matter of a lack of clarity and communication.

I believe we are all here because we enjoy playing the game. Uniques should be something enjoyable about the game. It wouldn't be problematic to alt things to an alt to make that alt more playable. It would be problematic to alt from that alt to play the game in a risky situation to avoid the risk of the situation regarding a unique.

RE Rig: Showing the weapon is the tracking mechanism we'll be using. Transferring the unique cross-race would be against the spirit of the rules. I will amend the rules to include that. Though, I think Naerin is right. If you have the chance to alt a unique to a character that could use it and you were involved in a kill that got it then you should have the option to be involved in the split, otherwise a lot of uniques will leave to collections simply because you were on the wrong alt at the wrong time. It is also feasible that someone in the PK just says they will give it to someone who happens to be your alt. We don't want players thinking that is also against the rule and then reporting it as a violation when it would be easily possible to circumvent.

RE Melkor: See the response to Draz as well as the original post regarding alting stuff around. Intention is for the primary amount of time to be spent playing the unique and keeping the unique in game which will lead to circulation. No reason to adjust login time changes because those would be near impossible to police and keep straight.

RE Naerin: yes. We obviously don't want you just giving people the unique to hold it for long periods of time while you do risky activity or alt around, which is why the smob show is required to track the weapon, but we understand that with a low player base number that clan events are important and wanted to have a way for players who are invested in clans to attend those events.

RE Draz: The game would gain value from more trading and more cross-player interaction, but obviously if you got a unique then you could alt around to build your set (if that was what your intention was) while someone held the unique for you. If you run into a scenario where you feel you are needing to do something that circumvents the rules you can always mail in and again discretion comes in. Though, as Naerin stated, in the original post there are clearly options for this; it will likely just depend on how much urgency a player feels about a thing being done.

RE Prykor: Some people may want to get the unique for the turn points to grind toward clan objectives, crafting tokens, etc. The turn-in gives room for a player to profit off gaining one and then opens an opportunity to load that unique for new play. This can also be used on the weapon condition, however, having a mob measure durability is pretty cumbersome.

Dreadlord J is pretty full. The Dreadlord in keep is not. I do not think that spending a tic at most searching for dreadlord and then using grovel to gain MVs back is too much of an ask.

Added

It would be against the spirit of the rules to transfer a unique cross-race and that unique would be removed. However, you can transfer it on the same side if you end up with the item. For this we would consider Light Side, Seanchan Side, Darkfriends, and Dark Side all cross-race transfer.

Naerin

Post by Naerin » Mon May 23, 2022 12:19 pm

Feneon wrote:RE Prykor: Some people may want to get the unique for the turn points to grind toward clan objectives, crafting tokens, etc. The turn-in gives room for a player to profit off gaining one and then opens an opportunity to load that unique for new play. This can also be used on the weapon condition, however, having a mob measure durability is pretty cumbersome.
The downside to this, though, is that it's likely to result in everyone going in on a split, with only some of those wanting to use it and the rest wanting to turn it in (which still benefits them a lot!). I'm generally more in favor of uniques existing to be used as equipment rather than as QPs where possible.

Rig

Post by Rig » Mon May 23, 2022 12:19 pm

Yea I think it feels a lot better if you can’t cross race transfer them. I was just going for the extreme of not being able to alt at all because it was always really annoying to everyone when people alted them cross race or to an unknown alt to use as a vanity item as you said.

I was definitely one of the biggest culprits in alting uniques cross-race to suit my own needs and it was always met with a bit of a bad taste.

Rig

Post by Rig » Mon May 23, 2022 12:20 pm

Also agree with Naerin about the above.

Naerin

Post by Naerin » Mon May 23, 2022 12:27 pm

You probably also want to work out a trading policy around uniques - whether it's allowed and under what circumstances.

Prykor

Post by Prykor » Mon May 23, 2022 12:38 pm

Naerin wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 12:19 pm
Feneon wrote:RE Prykor: Some people may want to get the unique for the turn points to grind toward clan objectives, crafting tokens, etc. The turn-in gives room for a player to profit off gaining one and then opens an opportunity to load that unique for new play. This can also be used on the weapon condition, however, having a mob measure durability is pretty cumbersome.
The downside to this, though, is that it's likely to result in everyone going in on a split, with only some of those wanting to use it and the rest wanting to turn it in (which still benefits them a lot!). I'm generally more in favor of uniques existing to be used as equipment rather than as QPs where possible.
Also sad for uniques to get removed from circulation after the first or second death of the unique holder. Sure, it allows for a lot more imm-run events to put them back in the game, but it also creates the need for imms to do so a lot more regularly in order to keep uniques in circulation.

though an excuse to have imms do more events is never a bad thing, the imm-run mob raids, hold-the-token events, and so on are fantastically fun.

Jaster

Post by Jaster » Mon May 23, 2022 1:01 pm

This would probably expand the “tracking” too much, but if this is to be a thing, I would suggest letting the player play one char per race(SS/LS combined as one race aka human). There are players with play times that could be a bleak ask to just play their one char with a unique on that side. They can literally be the only person on or the opposite having the other side with no one on to do something against. Which could just lead to less activity of the player themself or the player with the unique itself.

erulak

Post by erulak » Mon May 23, 2022 2:04 pm

Prykor wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 12:38 pm
Naerin wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 12:19 pm
Also sad for uniques to get removed from circulation after the first or second death of the unique holder. Sure, it allows for a lot more imm-run events to put them back in the game, but it also creates the need for imms to do so a lot more regularly in order to keep uniques in circulation.

though an excuse to have imms do more events is never a bad thing, the imm-run mob raids, hold-the-token events, and so on are fantastically fun.
Agree with Prykor/Naerin -- I don't think everything has to be a TP/QP turn-in, we're lousy with those options.

If you want an option/lotto for folks, maybe just allow the 'one transfer' to alt you're going to play with the mechanism you described as the 'lock in', with the only real stipulation being you don't take it off the side it was won on. Recognize that eliminates anyone who wants to keep character separation, but we all make our choices. If I wanted it on a character I didn't want to acknowledge widely as me, I just wouldn't opt into the lotto.

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Mon May 23, 2022 2:21 pm

I'm not seeing anything here prohibiting the trading of the unique...is that correct?

I think 100% of the time everyone involved going for the split of the unique is a good thing, and I think almost all unique will trade for more then the turn in amount. Trading will be encouraged because it stops the unique from just disappearing (once it gets to be blunt it gets turned in...).

Gives another differentiation to LS/DS because of the way we split gear on the various sides...