Unique Policy

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
plando

Re: Unique Policy

Post by plando » Tue May 24, 2022 1:33 pm

this is great. return the uniques to the game, play them, don't sit on them.

Nylen

Post by Nylen » Tue May 24, 2022 1:45 pm

plando wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:33 pm
this is great. return the uniques to the game, play them, don't sit on them.
Unless they're unique pants. Then you can sit on them.

Jaxon

Post by Jaxon » Tue May 24, 2022 6:40 pm

Thinking out loud here… To avoid the turn-in for TP ending in QP, incentivize using the weapons a bit more. Anyone using a rare, gets +1 or +2 qp with each scalp hand in? Monitored by IMMs?

Weir

Post by Weir » Tue May 24, 2022 6:55 pm

That seems far too manual, even assuming you just meant uniques.

Adael

Post by Adael » Tue May 24, 2022 7:30 pm

Not a bad idea, if there’s a way to do it.

give scalp mob (same one used for tracking?)
mob looks at player
player has unique equipped?
Yes? Award for scalp +1 qp
No? Return scalp

But maybe mobol isn’t smart enough for that :P

Felurian

Post by Felurian » Tue May 24, 2022 8:26 pm

I think posts giving some indication of what the intent of a policy is supposed to bring about helps give scope to how we discuss playing the game. I know I appreciate such efforts.

The first time you show the mob a unique, you should get a practice reset.

To keep unique items in the game, make the reward for turn in variable and reduce it for hasty turn ins. Cursorily, length of time since load or number of other unique items currently in the game, average length of use before turn in per load, number of users per load, avg users per load... all seem like solid contenders for a metric.

Finally, I choose which character I am going to play largely based on my mood at the time I log in. Having the restriction to play only the character holding the unique means I am unlikely to ever really want to have a unique long term. I don't know what to do with that though, because I think the policy broadly does exactly what you want it to do.

Weir

Post by Weir » Tue May 24, 2022 9:03 pm

Felurian wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:26 pm
I think posts giving some indication of what the intent of a policy is supposed to bring about helps give scope to how we discuss playing the game. I know I appreciate such efforts.

The first time you show the mob a unique, you should get a practice reset.

To keep unique items in the game, make the reward for turn in variable and reduce it for hasty turn ins. Cursorily, length of time since load or number of other unique items currently in the game, average length of use before turn in per load, number of users per load, avg users per load... all seem like solid contenders for a metric.

Finally, I choose which character I am going to play largely based on my mood at the time I log in. Having the restriction to play only the character holding the unique means I am unlikely to ever really want to have a unique long term. I don't know what to do with that though, because I think the policy broadly does exactly what you want it to do.
I don't think mobol has the capability to accomplish any of that.

Chrissy

Post by Chrissy » Tue May 24, 2022 10:52 pm

Jaxon wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:40 pm
Thinking out loud here… To avoid the turn-in for TP ending in QP, incentivize using the weapons a bit more. Anyone using a rare, gets +1 or +2 qp with each scalp hand in? Monitored by IMMs?
Really like this idea.

arston

Post by arston » Wed May 25, 2022 3:33 am

i like it too but i dont see any way to actually reward it. anything to do with turn in would be extremely easy to circumnavigate just by withdrawing your rare and equipping it right before you turn in the scalp. The only way i could see it really working was if it did a check at the pk rip right when tps are lost on the char that died and gained by the killers, and did a check to see if a rare/unique was equipped to give a bonus to tps.

Ideally, it would be nice if instead of everyone rolling, If there was a way to reward tps to everyone who OPTED OUT of the roll, that way its only going to be rolled on by people who want to use it, but everyone still has an incentive to rally together and wage war over them (but again, hard to enforce).

Feneon

Post by Feneon » Thu May 26, 2022 3:43 pm

I like the idea of rewarding qps for scalps of people who are using uniques, but I don't see how this is possible without being suspicious. However, I am willing to reward qps to people who post logs of kills while PKing with uniques. As we see how the tracking method works, the rotations of the uniques, and the general atmosphere around them we may introduce ways to gain better awards that are automatic and not manual.

From what I can tell regarding rewards, these rewards were to incentivize complete removal of uniques from the game at a value relevant enough for players to opt into that choice. We are not aiming to completely remove uniques from the game, but we do want an option to remove them at value.

Generally when it comes to rewards we like to start very low and then increase if necessary. The turn in award for the uniques will be 50 turn points. Enough to push someone who is close into a threshold for a higher value turn-in or to simply award someone who wants to remove it from the game. These will be re-added as we evaluate and adjust expectations relative to policy and spirit of the rule. You will likely gain better value out of use toward character progression than out of turn-ins and for equipment trading is a better path.

At the beginning of next week we will introduce a 1% load of a unique to a smob in a PK zone. It likely won't be a quick load, but you can expect that Monday this load will be announced. The Smob may change and so announcement on Discord and forums will be updated. We will make a thread to follow though for Unique Loading and track it along with the player who has it publicly. We will check this semi-regularly.

We will be loading four uniques into the game. We may leave them on cityheads, include them with mobraids, or simply add an overly powerful set of smobs in a common area that will have them.

We will aim to give 24 hours of warning at least for these events.

This thread will be locked on Monday or Sunday so if you have any final questions about it then feel free to add those questions.