Are players leaving?

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Elysia

Re: Are players leaving?

Post by Elysia » Sun May 01, 2022 8:32 am

Sarinda wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 7:19 am
I think it would be prudent to plan for anticipated times when numbers might surge based on previous data (e.g., when season 2 of the WoT TV show on Amazon is scheduled to launch, predictable times of the year like around summer/holidays?) and then schedule both player- and Imm-organized events that are exciting and fun.
We actually spoke about this prior to the launch of season 1, but no one had ideas/ time, unfortunately. Also, with the amount of returning players, the imm workload of answering mails about reranking, lost passphrases and whatnot substantially increased, so that doesn't help in terms of having time to organize things.

Sarinda

Post by Sarinda » Sun May 01, 2022 9:02 am

Elysia wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 8:32 am
Sarinda wrote:
I think it would be prudent to plan for anticipated times when numbers might surge based on previous data (e.g., when season 2 of the WoT TV show on Amazon is scheduled to launch, predictable times of the year like around summer/holidays?) and then schedule both player- and Imm-organized events that are exciting and fun.
We actually spoke about this prior to the launch of season 1, but no one had ideas/ time, unfortunately. Also, with the amount of returning players, the imm workload of answering mails about reranking, lost passphrases and whatnot substantially increased, so that doesn't help in terms of having time to organize things.
Totally understandable! And that’s helpful to know, because it means more player-driven events should be organized to capitalize on it.

One idea would be if players organized a series of related events that overlap with the content we are most likely to see in season 2, which is likely to include the Hunt for the Horn of Valere. Maybe we players can come up with some festivals or special events for everyone to enjoy that might involve RP competitions, celebrations of past stories and game events, and so on.

Aureus

Post by Aureus » Sun May 01, 2022 2:16 pm

Sarinda wrote:
At the end of the day, it's a simple issue of math: The only way to ensure growth is to make intentional and concerted efforts to recruit and then retain more new and/or returning players than we lose from people leaving. I think it would be prudent to plan for anticipated times when numbers might surge based on previous data (e.g., when season 2 of the WoT TV show on Amazon is scheduled to launch, predictable times of the year like around summer/holidays?) and then schedule both player- and Imm-organized events that are exciting and fun.

There are still newer players and some true newbies playing, and I've come across several in the past few months. We should be asking ourselves, what can we personally do to make their lives easier and to make the game more fun for them? Teach them the ropes, give them equipment, answer their questions, and so on. Because players will always eventually leave even if the game is completely healthy and in a good place, newbies are the lifeblood of this community if you want to support the longevity of the game.
This is 100% spot on. We’ll do what we can as imms to help support (and some great thoughts on this thread), but it’s a fan-run community and not a business so ultimately it’s up to all of us as the community to help advertise, bring in new players, create the community we want and keep that community going for as long as we want it to.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sun May 01, 2022 3:03 pm

Sarinda wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:02 am
Totally understandable! And that’s helpful to know, because it means more player-driven events should be organized to capitalize on it.
Yeah, that would help. Even though during that period before Christmas, I didn't have time to help someone with a festival and when I asked if other imms had time, none did. Maybe in a way it would be advantageous to not have WoT airing in the weeks before Christmas, because all the mails, character traces and reclaiming and RL stuff adds up fast.

Gretchen

Post by Gretchen » Sun May 01, 2022 5:03 pm

i did work hard on player retention around the last tv show and a few new/old returning players i worked with did stick around

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Mon May 02, 2022 3:06 am

Vampa wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:44 am
I became an immortal in June of 2017.
I think I started playing shortly thereafter. I've definitely enjoyed my time and am just mostly taking a break from a particular class.

In that time, for what it's worth, I haven't seen imms do shady things. Just throwing that out there.

ecthus

Post by ecthus » Mon May 02, 2022 2:46 pm

Reyne wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 3:06 am
In that time, for what it's worth, I haven't seen imms do shady things. Just throwing that out there.
Open your eyes. 8-)

plando

Post by plando » Thu May 05, 2022 12:19 am

I always thought it was just a place where a few nerds finally had some control or sense of power in their life and it got out of hand. Fast forward some 20 years later and they're still gripping tightly to what's left I reckon. I'd easily say pettiness and drama are at the fore front. That's if you're crazy enough to stick around through your thirties or later I mean, real life comes at you fast am I right?

My 2 cents is even if you made secret clans a quest chain that anyone could do, even if it was insanely hard.. someone would still find a way to throw a fit about who got in and I think that's sad because there's like 30 people left :lol: It was never the tasks associated with getting in, it's always been the people and for many that is a life long goal that many will never achieve, no matter how hard or what they do, for how long.

Doesn't matter if you're good at PK or RP, or even both. It's all subjective and there's obviously some real toxic fish in this tiny aquarium of ours :)

It's not even about secret clans or getting in at the end of the day, it's just highlighting some people are just jerks for the sake of jerks and it kinda ruins it for a lot of other people. Who would want to stick around? It gets boring after a while trying that hard. Being a jerk is a decision. Sometimes a condition, but mostly a decision haha.

anyways, see ya when I see ya. Be nice to each other! *fist shake*

Jaefar

Post by Jaefar » Fri May 06, 2022 10:33 am

For what it's worth (and forgive me if I'm repeating what someone's already said, haven't read through the thread) - some players are returning too. Me, for one. I'd been playing on and off for 10+ years, took a long break and came back. Two (more) cents: while it's cool to see 30 or 40 odd people on together, an emptyish mud has a charm of its own - a lot of space to roam and a pretty absurd number of things to do.

Rodger

Post by Rodger » Fri May 06, 2022 12:48 pm

I hear that Jaefar and the immortals I believe have a fairly strict policy of not progressing the storyline... but the way for this game to be both of what you said (fun with numbers and without) would be a little bit of organized questing.

Elysia's Portal stone quest opened up a bookish and very interesting way to write and have players experience quests without any lasting effect to our timeline...