a dark oak javelin

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Taziar

Re: a dark oak javelin

Post by Taziar » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:32 am

Rig wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:21 pm
Still not sure what’s stopping you from playing Javelins!

Wear dodge, you’ll get around 160 parry
Wear combo with parry trinks you’ll get 155+ parry

You’ll have at least 190 ob mounted.

You can stab if you so choose

Damage is similar to fencing blades

They have attack, so the melee capability is strong
You killed an alt of mine with 20 pine javelins, remember? I've played javelins more than anyone I know, on more alts than I can count. I think they are misrepresented in a bookish sense, and I think they are the worst possible choice for anything that they can do. And I won't play them in the condition they are currently in.

Pyrda

Post by Pyrda » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:25 am

Isn't that kind of the point being made though? They're a jack of all trades, master of none type deal. You have the ability to throw/stab/attack but you don't excel in any particular one. I think it's worth mentioning though that the current melee of the Pine Jav isn't that far below its other attacking counterparts.

Melee Damage

Pine Jav - 4d5
Mean - 12.00
Deviation - 2.83
Minimum - 4.00
Maximum - 20.00

Emerald Foil - 5d4
Mean - 12.5
Deviation - 2.50
Minimum - 5.00
Maximum - 20.00

Basilard - 7d3
Mean - 14.00
Deviation - 2.16
Minimum - 7.00
Maximum - 21.00

Weapon OB

Pine Jav - 93
Emerald Foil - 95
Basilard - 85

Weapon PB

Pine Jav - 8
Emerald Foil - 8
Basilard - 12

If you look at those statistics, it seems pretty obvious that it does sit in the middle realm of 1h weapons with attack. Short blades sacrifice their ob for stab and melee dmg (jade being something really close to a pine jav in stats but not having the same stab damage potential that the pine does). The fblades are sacrificing the ability to stab or be thrown for OB/disarm.

Now, i'm not saying i think javelins are good thing to be thrown, but the choice is there for more utilitarian uses like killing flying shadow eyes. Either way, even just looking at Pine Javs alone, you end up with a really high ob weapon, with attack and the ability to stab if you want that. I think thats a reasonable trade off for poorer defense and an average 2 less melee damage than the best available (non rare) short blades.

Tolveor

Post by Tolveor » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:10 am

I actually like where javelins is at atm. I can solo alot of stuff on a normal warrior with javelins and high attack, and it makes coin farming very efficient. plus i love that you can throw them at shadoweyes. My biggest problem with jav melee was always how durable they were, but that seems to have been fixed, so its definitly an option now over fencing blades and daggers. A good option for an aiel type character that don't use swords (including fencing blades), and can't afford stab (warrior class).

on topic: my first impression of the new 1h oak javelin without looking at stats is a good one. It seems on par with pine at the least

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:36 pm

Pyrda wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:25 am
Isn't that kind of the point being made though? They're a jack of all trades, master of none type deal. You have the ability to throw/stab/attack but you don't excel in any particular one.
That philosophy only works if you use all of the "trades" at the same time. So you can only use javelins (and by that we mean pine javelins, because they are the class as nothing else is playable) on a stabby hunter...?

Drybones

Post by Drybones » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:06 pm

I'm a 419 hp warrior in full abs with a bronze axe, ran across a wounded 18 con hunter using pine javs in a light combo kit today. I got wrecked, and he spent the first half of the fight unsuccessfully running timers of me.

I've been pretty vocal with my support of weapon rebalancing since it began, and my only annoyance has been the rp side of things. My favorite setup atm from a playstyle perspective is dodge long blades. My preferred setup from an rp standpoint would be dodge axes or dodge clubs, but the lower parry going from I&g to finely axes doesn't seem worth it.

Would be nice to have similar options across classes in terms of axes/clubs/blades, but it's a small annoyance. Plus, it would make weapon classes feel the same but individual weapons feel different.

But, for those weapons the functionality is identical, so it's pretty simple. For weapons like javelins/spears/sblade it's challenging to see how that would be possible considering the functionality is so different. Like you said, could possibly remove the stab and drop the weight some so that you could carry a few more, but the implementation would have to change for them to be upped I think.

At the moment, it seems intended for weapon selection to be based on functionality, rather than RP considerations. It would be impossible to balance a weapon for people who are uninterested in all of the features when there are others who would take full advantage of them.

Rig

Post by Rig » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:20 pm

Yea I mean, if you’re trying to rp an Aiel, retool the weapon??? You don’t HAVE to stab with it, or throw with it, or even attack with it. You have the options.

If you’re that serious about the roleplay then I’m sure you’ll put in the effort to be able to retool items, and to change up your character appearance.

We can’t argue about how unplayable it is to roleplay an Aiel and then want to be carrying upwards of 10 spears/javelins anyway, you’re just looking to be cheesy.

It’s entirely possible to carry anywhere between 2-4 pine javelins and retool them. Please tell me where a single Aiel carried more than that, because checkmate atheists, they didn’t.

We have avenues for roleplay. They just take work, about as much work as you’re willing to put in. Want to just log on the game and call yourself the Dragon? Cool, do it.

Want to put in some effort and rank up and perhaps sway enough people into hitting the Stone with you? Cool, roleplay effort. The rewards and playability in this case are determined only by the player.

Rig

Post by Rig » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:20 pm

Also willing to point out that dodge clubs/axes work fine. You don’t need to have 200+ parry with everything!

Tusty

Post by Tusty » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:17 pm

I want to play dodge/eaxe.

Drybones

Post by Drybones » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:46 pm

Rig wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:20 pm
Also willing to point out that dodge clubs/axes work fine. You don’t need to have 200+ parry with everything!
Haha, you definitely can. My desire to base my limited RP decisions based on weapon classes is pretty small though ;) it's definitely less important to me than it was to characters in the book.

Just curious, what are all the paths to retooling? Mastering and the RP ranks?

Davor

Post by Davor » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:23 am

Tusty wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:17 pm
I want to play dodge/eaxe.
Been there. Done that. Dodge eaxe with sungwood staff.