a dark oak javelin

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Taziar

a dark oak javelin

Post by Taziar » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:18 pm

Are these also getting removed (or changed to 1h) as they are the same practice cost for hunters as 2h daggers are?

Aureus

Re: a dark oak javelin

Post by Aureus » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:31 pm

They are now 1h. Thanks.

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:43 pm

Aureus wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:31 pm
They are now 1h. Thanks.
New PB stat? (please give them more than Pine)

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:48 pm

Actually, please re-evaluate javelins as a class all together. The extreme removal of PB to the class has made them a non choice.

Prykor

Post by Prykor » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:21 pm

Aureus wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:31 pm
They are now 1h. Thanks.
The Dark Oak jav as a tier 3 weapon had damage on par with a tier 2 short blade (jeweled dagger)... with this change, it's basically downgraded to a tier 2 weapon similar to the barbed from the v2 rebalance...

I would recommend changing their stab flag to false similar to what was done for the fencing blades a long, long time ago vice removing the 2h stats. We ran into this exact same problem, and time has shown that the no-stab flag worked quite well overall while not making the weapon(s) gimped.

alternatively, make hunter's stabs deal 50% less damage with stab. It may be Hard or not viable to do because coding, but it should be worth brainstorming other potential alternatives before removing options from all classes and rogues spending 3 pracs per session at the warrior trainer to learn javelins clearly wasn't the issue at hand) -- short blades got a grace period, why not the others?
Taziar wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:48 pm
Actually, please re-evaluate javelins as a class all together.
second this.

Javs really could use a rework to support a throwing play style. The current situation is rather like the fencing blades of old with a pearl handled epee backstabbing.
Throwing a jav compared to a throwing knife is a fireball compared to a flamestrike on the time needed to travel through the air, yet they do similar damage (unless I'm missing something, pine may have a slightly higher max damage with the 4d5 roll, but 6d3 has a higher minimum damage and both average the same). There's also the part where throwing a h&h weapon for combat sucks when the target walks off with it at low health (or you fail to kill the smob and need to go get a lot more javelins while the smob heals up).

Keep some options for javelins to keep with the benefit of both attack and projectile skills (even if stab ends up being a bridge too far for balance reasons), and most notably for rogues to have options other than backstab while being more useful in pk and group play (vice a gimp hunter/warrior build)

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:31 am

Taziar wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:43 pm
New PB stat? (please give them more than Pine)
Nope, they're even more rubbish than they were before, they already got nerfed as collateral when they collectively reverted the overbuffing of daggers.
Also super upped their rent cost, did they do that to throwing weapons that are super easy to collect as well?

Ahri

Post by Ahri » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:34 am

I believe most of the most common and safe throwing weapon loads were removed

I do think the recent changes in weapons classes have resulted in complete non playing of entire classes;

Rig

Post by Rig » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:25 am

Think it was more due to people not knowing how to not abuse a good thing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:29 pm

Javelins are not throwing weapons... not in game anyways. YES, you can throw them... but no one ever used them like that for a bunch of reasons. Mainly the throwing damage was less than projectiles because of the XdY of the damage dice, and due to the fact they weigh sooooo much more than projectiles. With the damage cap on throwing weapons you cannot carry enough javelins due to weight to effectively throw at anything. Their only saving grace was they had the highest parry bonus as attack weapons in the game. Now that Javelins PB has been reduced I have not used them, nor have I seen ANYONE use the class since they were changed. The only cavet was warrior stab when the humanoid bonus applied to stab... now that is history so is the Javelin class.

Ahri

Post by Ahri » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:44 am

I'll disagree Taz that I know at least two people who sued javelins for smobbing; and agree completely that noone uses the class anymore, and there is no reason to do so.