What are your wotmud goals?

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Rig

Post by Rig » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:47 am

Does anyone set any short-term to long-term goals for themselves?

If so what are they, and how do you plan on achieving them?

Is there something you’re trying to do that you’re stuck with?

These are all questions I often wonder about players other than myself. I believe setting goals is a pretty important part of character development and ultimately a great way to steadily pace yourself. I have spent a lot of time achieving a few personal goals on this game, from mastering my first character after two years to achieving things I didn’t think possible at the time. I’d like to hear more about what kind of goalposts you’ve set for yourself, and I’d like to hear about how you plan on achieving them.

Stomp

Re: What are your wotmud goals?

Post by Stomp » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:24 am

Defade rig

Thore

Post by Thore » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:57 am

Honestly it's been my goal for a while to set a goal that excites me enough to play more frequently, but I haven't been able to do that yet! Great question though.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:04 am

this is goals, but also whether i was able to do them or give up on them so more like a review! sorry if it's longer than what you wanted but you DID ask :D

1) Gaidin and a Red Sedai. Eventually I think I got all the LS characters I could possibly have wanted.

2) Rank 5 DS trolloc because well-rounded pkers should play both sides. Think I'm 16 qps short and now it will never happen :P

3) To become a better than average pker. At one point to also lead but I gave up on that lol.

4) Win or lose, have a ton of fun in pk. I think I succeeded in that one.

5) For Isabel to 'earn' every qp to master not just hand in scalps where I was mindlessly spamming, because I already had a lancer master who had qps from following people like davor/ragyn/trik etc who after 20 minutes of pk will hand you 7 scalps. I passed up on plenty of scalps and the only time I broke my rule and handed in a cheaply earned scalp was the very last one - when Rig and I doored Razhak in bush - was a very dumb thing to do but I was annoyed with him for his afk killing ways. It felt like a fitting taint on my record :P

6) I wanted a character that people would think of as an RPer first. Red apprentice reqs are just so much fun that I ended up having a blast pking on Fleur, but I think I did prove myself as primarily an RPer with her.

7) Would have Loved a dreadlord because I love channeler pk so much. But I made the stupid mistake of trying for it on a rogue and I can't stand actually pking on that class. I just do not have the patience. Now I've invested way too much effort in it to actually delete it and start over, so that goal is on permanent hiatus.

8) Not a goal as much as an aspiration - to put up an ok fight against l33t players. It never happened vs an Erulak or a Scrat (if I survive 20 seconds, it's a miracle :P) but on verrrrry rare occasions I did win once or twice against a Rig or a Fiddler or a Mikhan or Jestin (when they weren't being super careless/suicidal obviously, that doesn't count :P), and that was a relief + incredible feeling. Nothing on the game is as memorable as those moments. [Note: Fiddler is 99.99999% of the time in the erulak/scrat category of me running away within 10 seconds so this is really like a fluke instance or two :P]

9) I had a goal at one point to write a history of (northern) PK and how it evolved over the years, what kind of strategies were being used when and by whom etc, because there is so much history, tactics, fun stuff. I have notes from 7-8 years ago from talking to a bunch of players about what they remember but yeah it's a permanently shelved project lol.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:10 am

Thore wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:57 am
Honestly it's been my goal for a while to set a goal that excites me enough to play more frequently, but I haven't been able to do that yet! Great question though.
Protecting the weak Thore!

EDIT:

I suppose the biggest main goal is to have fun and make sure people around me are having a good time, whatever the activity is. Whether we're in group and PKing, or smobing, or I'm being "annoying" with RP and emotes. One of the things I've realized over the years and years here is that reputation of a char and/or player goes further than what you're capable of as a player. So making sure if I'm with others while playing, that they're enjoying the time invested playing with me on this game.

I also have a story in mind I'd like to see played out, an RP progression of this character. Had a few ideas one day and figured why not make it a story. Can't remember what the background was, originally, for Kording and whatever there was written or logged was lost on old forums and PC drives.

Love what Callesa does with her RP storyline, coming up with her own NPCs, plots etc, hopefully inspiring others to hop along for the ride, and maybe an Imm jumps in sometimes at least on a mob to RP if not to improv a quick mini quest. These kind of personal mini-goals can add much needed spice to the repetitiveness of regular play...PK, smob, exp, rinse and repeat.

So I figured give it a go, write it out (albeit very, very,very slowly), test the "areas" that are needed for progression/story, see if it ends up being fun or waste of time.

Other than that main goal, I've got a few side-goals with a handful of alts to work on in terms of usual stuff...clan, rank, get better at PK, leading people around for various stuff, get perspective on things from different "shoes"...

And lastly - a goal to not feel like I'm wasting time playing this game.
Last edited by Kordin on Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Foil

Post by Foil » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:52 am

Something I struggle with a lot. I often lose interest with the game due to not really having sustainable goals.

Foil rank 6 (will never happen)

Clan Gaidin (Need to stop being lazy about this one and play more lside)

Those are really the only two I can think of right now. Both require a fair amount of effort I am not sure I am motivated to do hehe.

Alison

Post by Alison » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:56 am

Aiming Alison at Rank 9, the long road.

Not really have short term goals. Just get on and see where the tides of the mud takes me.

Itesh

Post by Itesh » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:01 am

Coded crafting system.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:49 am

Nice question Rig. I've also often wondered this from other players and just downright asked them sometimes :)

For me back when I started in 2002 I had some fun goals:
- Dragon Reborn! I had a 12 17 18 18 14 MC, after days of statting!
- Defender of the innocent on my rogue! (12 19 17), I joined the Defenders of the Stone
- Learn north PK.

Then I statted Mantas the hunter in 2003. 19 19 18, which was insane back then and decided I should actually go and learn north PK.
That worked out fine for me, also learned how to lead and had a blast in group PK and solo.
For those that remember, I rocked a pine jav + bone club for a while before I mastered, back when the pine jav had great defense, decent dmg combined with attack. After Mastering I went stab for a while, especially in the PK downtime this was a lot of fun for a while :twisted:

Then in 2006 I quit because the people I were fighting were getting fade or dreadlord and all my allies were quitting, there was no reason for going Rank 8 (it was considered super selfish back then) and I guess the lack of a goal also hit me then. Didn't have any other notable alts. I think I sunk about 50 to 60 days of playtime in unclanned DS alts but didn't progress there at the time.

When I came back I created some new alts and have been setting more diverse goals:
- Clanning DS alts and mastering them (not done yet)
- Getting good channie stats (thanks old reroll system!) and getting Aes Sedai (got it)
- Doing something different and going the Darkfriend route (... not on Mantas or the Aes Sedai, hah!)

Now I'm thinking of some new goals, but haven't fully considered what I'm going for yet.
I'm slowly working on mastering my clanned alts at the moment and we'll see what comes next.

Aira

Post by Aira » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:33 am

I don't currently have any character goals, but I did just achieve one I'd been working towards for a few years, which was buying Cairhien 50 qps. Not my achievement alone, mind.

I always set extra goals on normal gameplay, because just normal gameplay makes things too easy, repetitive and bland for my tastes.

Some past goals include mastering without a single pkill on trophy, which is harder than it seems because you also want to avoid spamming when someone is low and you're close by. I almost foiled myself a few times. Once I got lucky someone else got the kill hit and I wasn't grouped.

I've been wanting to get back into north pk. The narrator goes "but she did not pk up north this week, did she?". Something always happens. This week I made it to Fal Dara, only to be bombarded by rl questions and "can you get this, can you get that" by my senior father who lives with me. So then I figured to lets clear out rents and gave away a bunch of abs to Bul, deposited a bunch of abs in Cairhien chest, essentially draining half my bank account to do so. Then I drowned and had to reeq with an underwhelming bank account meaning I had to go on a money run again just so I could afford basics like horse, vials etc.. :?