Zone sense

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Rhys

Zone sense

Post by Rhys » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:48 pm

Can we get this changed back to only sense DS?

If anyone supports this change, for either PK or RP reasons, I would be curious to hear your reasoning.

When PKing Seanchan, it is much more useful to know when DS shows up in your zone too than it is to sense the Seanchan. When PKing against DS with Seanchan, this change basically just nullifies zone sense as a useful ability. And as far as RP goes, I guess you could make an argument that a Sniffer senses violence in general, but it's pretty clear in the books that Warders, Wolfbros, etc, sense Shadowspawn in particular

Gretchen

Re: Zone sense

Post by Gretchen » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:21 pm

i would like to see this changed tho its nothing to do with me

Kilgore

Post by Kilgore » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:27 pm

I also agree zone sense should be DS only. Maybe leave one or two light side clans with it.

Foil

Post by Foil » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:59 pm

Easy solution. Remove it.

Zatuchly

Post by Zatuchly » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:28 am

Get rid of rank 8 zone sense.

Stomp

Post by Stomp » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:12 am

Remove r8 zone sense

Rig

Post by Rig » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:08 am

Remove r8 zone sense

Kitiara

Post by Kitiara » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:20 am

RPly all Aes Sedai and bonded Gaidin should have it... though I understand why only bonded AS get it for gameplay reasons. Red Ajah should probably get it at r6 or 7 since they dont bond?

I can also see why Wolfbrothers would get it...

Other than that no one should get it on LS???

(I also think it would be neat if certain rank AS and Fades got channel sense... and could sense channeling of a certain sp cost within the zone)

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:58 pm

Kitiara wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:20 am
RPly all Aes Sedai and bonded Gaidin should have it...
I'm not sure all Aes Sedai would, to be honest. In fact, re-reading the books, I'm not entirely sure bonded Aes Sedai get it, bookishly. Moiraine even comments in book one that if there's any spawn near, Lan will sense them at like 100 paces or something. The fact that she and Lan apparently woke up all of EF sensing Shadowspawn could arguably even be Lan sensing it and her sensing his alarm.

If there's any bookish evidence of unbonded Aes Sedai and/or bonded Aes Sedai actually sensing it, then I'm all ears, because we've been having this discussion upstairs re: removal of rank 8 zone sense. I mean, I'd love to have it, but at this point I'm leaning towards it not being bookish.

Re: removing rank 8 zone sense, that'll likely come once we have a good idea on what to replace it with. We made some progress, but after that I lost track a bit.

EDITed to add: I know RJ sometimes made changes to the magic system, so it may be that the earlier books are different to the later ones.

Yoshimo

Post by Yoshimo » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:03 pm

can we also remove/change;

troll stabbers
portal stone discs
who can use portal stones
Ways
who can open Ways
making Ways actually dangerous to go through
plug noses of trolls so they dont have their budget version of zone sense at least the further from Blight they are...you know...clear air messes with their snoots or something

Damn all those R8s with their overpowered zone sense...ruining the game. I mean really....