Lag

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Jael

Re: Lag

Post by Jael » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:33 am

Excellent point Arston

Delete projectiles ;)

I kiiiidddd I kidddd

ladar

Post by ladar » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:42 am

Elysia wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:45 pm
arston wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:18 pm
do items you are rented with contribute to this too in terms of saved memory? or does it only contribute as a lag spike when you log on/off with a lot and when you are actively logged in with the items?
I did some testing with a char in a full set and 60 dirty rocks, which was 2 seconds of lag when they linkless rented. When I upped that to 230 rocks, it went up to 4 seconds of lag. So yes, linkless renting with a ton of items will lagspike the game when renting.
As a fresh face, from the outside looking in, this is highly concerning. I'm well aware that moving a rock from active game to memory might not be a single function call. Yet still, it sounds like you are hinting that the game is, if taking 2 seconds to process that command stack, running at basically 30 hz.

I know that mud drivers everywhere are rather old and decrepit but...
This just raises so many questions.

Again, I'm new here, but this game used to have hundreds of people on line, and is far from that now. Did the lag exist back then too? How could the playerbase have declined so much and server load increased? Is the actuality that player expectations of performance have changed over the past decades? Did everyone wait on dailup 10 seconds for rounds to process?

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:34 am

ladar wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:42 am
Elysia wrote:
arston wrote:
do items you are rented with contribute to this too in terms of saved memory? or does it only contribute as a lag spike when you log on/off with a lot and when you are actively logged in with the items?
I did some testing with a char in a full set and 60 dirty rocks, which was 2 seconds of lag when they linkless rented. When I upped that to 230 rocks, it went up to 4 seconds of lag. So yes, linkless renting with a ton of items will lagspike the game when renting.
As a fresh face, from the outside looking in, this is highly concerning. I'm well aware that moving a rock from active game to memory might not be a single function call. Yet still, it sounds like you are hinting that the game is, if taking 2 seconds to process that command stack, running at basically 30 hz.

I know that mud drivers everywhere are rather old and decrepit but...
This just raises so many questions.

Again, I'm new here, but this game used to have hundreds of people on line, and is far from that now. Did the lag exist back then too? How could the playerbase have declined so much and server load increased? Is the actuality that player expectations of performance have changed over the past decades? Did everyone wait on dailup 10 seconds for rounds to process?

Welcome to DuctTapeMUD, it's patched questionably more than a Gleeman's cloak, due to various reasons :)

langois

Post by langois » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:19 am

arston wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:00 pm
For example if I have my basic set of equipment, trinkets, sheaths, 1 piece of food, 1 lantern, 1 water skin, 2 portal stones. 1 vial, 1 draught, theres only like 5-10 spots left and I need 25-35 projectiles to smob with. Thats without having any loot on me whatsoever.
I’m not saying this to single Arston out. Traditionally people carried 6-8 projectiles. Smobs were always meant to be done with groups or in some cases by stabbers. Being able to projectile a smob dead seems like bad smob design and if massive rent files are the issue we certainly don’t want to bog down the game so a select few people can continue smob hacks.

10 extra slots should be plenty.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:30 am

ladar wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:42 am
Elysia wrote:
arston wrote:
I think saving a player file in general on rent and death generally takes time. People already noticed lag on deaths. Normal renting doesn't cause problems, but if you go over the item limit with a few dozen or 230 items, then it will cause noticable, different than normal, lag. Obviously I went for an extreme here, with 230 dirty rocks. But the effect is there. The sleep well and wake -did- allow people to leave the game with that many items really easily, so we may have inadvertently removed a problem.

I can't really say anything intelligent about the database, because I'm not a coder and that's beyond me.

Draz

Post by Draz » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:43 pm

I'm.. likely to really regret this

Do individual items in old style chests contribute significantly to lag?

While both of us went pretty inactive and haven't been doing anything with it - myself and another both felt that using the R8 open access chest to potentially reequip the entire of lightside after large pk sessions/mob raids was an excellent idea in keeping with the use of the chest "to help lightside".

We didn't actually get very far - probably less than 100-200 abs and combo receipts in there.. last I checked

Also maybe a general request to everyone like me who hits bandits for their coin runs; I might generate 1000+ items a day /just/ from dropped pouches/lanterns/longbows - I typically try to put them in tree or consolidate them in a single pouch - maybe just a general request to actually nuke items?
Logged on for the first time in a week to check but apparently demaster flag means I can't :(

Draz

Post by Draz » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:39 pm

Never mind this Corath checked the chest and it didn't have a ton.

Dukug

Post by Dukug » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:41 am

Is there a way to have the Valley Bandits and Saldaean Cavalry mobs EQ disappear once a trolloc has dismembered the corpses?

Otherwise after 1 run the bandit valley area looks like this :

* R HP:Scratched DP:Bursting MV:Fresh > Road in the Hills
A faint road appears out of the grass, and begins it's way west. A small
clump of trees off to one side provides some shade during the warmer months,
and looks to provide refuge to some small animals. A small depression in
the hills is off to the east, and your vision of the south is blocked by a
dense thicket of unusually tall scrubs.
[ obvious exits: N W ]
There are some tracks of a ridden mount leaving <<WEST<<
A highly polished breastplate gleams in even the dimmest light. [6]
A bundle of chainmail lies on the ground. [6]
A heavy sword requiring two hands to wield lies in the dirt. [6]
A set of chainmail leggings lay upon the ground. [6]
A pair of sturdy metal half-gauntlets has been set here. [6]
A thin-soled pair of light leather boots stand side by side. [9]
A thin, decorative belt with an elaborate buckle is here. [9]
A stiletto is lying here on the ground. [9]
A full wooden shield rests on the ground here. [9]
A fine pair of silken gloves has been carefully set here. [9]
A light pair of leather coverings lies upon the ground. [9]
A pair of soft boots, laced to the knee, fade against the earth. [2]
A set of darkly shining chainmail leggings lies forgotten here. [2]
Light reflects brightly off a steel dagger that has been left here. [2]
A thick pair of leather work gloves has been tossed to the ground here. [2]
A pair of darkly oiled chainmail sleeves lies here, forgotten. [2]
A long tunic of shimmering green scales lies here. [2]
A stout helmet of boarskin reinforced with metal rods lies here. [2]
A set of chainmail sleeves lie upon the ground. [6]
A lantern has been left here. [6]
A pair of thin but sturdy metal boots stands here. [12]
A set of thin metal leggings is here. [6]
A soft leather pouch has been discarded here. [17]
A belt of tanned leather has been laid here. [6]
An evil-looking spiked club lies here on the ground. [6]
A mirrored lantern has been left here. [8]
A full metal shield has been carelessly left behind. [6]
A hard leather breastplate has been placed upon the ground. [6]
A shiny metal helmet lies to one side. [6]
A sailor's pair of leather trousers has been left here. [5]
A club lies here. [5]
A pair of hard leather half-gauntlets is on the ground here. [5]
A thick leather vest is here. [14]
A leather helmet has been dropped here. [5]
An elite trolloc stands ready to obey orders.
Mazoku the Grotesque Torturer is standing here.
A black shadow stallion paws the ground here, fiery-red eyes shining with evil, being ridden by you.

Dukug

Post by Dukug » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:50 am

This is from 1 round of Saldaean mobs :

* HP:Hurt DP:Bursting MV:Strong > A Chamber in the Tunnels
A round chamber has been dug out in the earth. Wooden beams support the walls
and prevent the ceiling from crumbling and collapsing. A small ladder is
leading up outside. A trapdoor is concealing the exit from the outside. Narrow
tunnels lead away from this room to the north and west.
[ obvious exits: N W U ]
A frayed and tattered whip lies curled here.
A soft leather pouch has been discarded here. [12]
A gleaming pair of black knee-high boots stand here, highly polished. [12]
A set of chainmail leggings lay upon the ground. [12]
A plain brown belt has been dropped here. [12]
A medium length wavy-edged flamberge lies here. [12]
A pair of sturdy metal half-gauntlets has been set here. [12]
A set of chainmail sleeves lie upon the ground. [12]
A hard leather breastplate has been placed upon the ground. [12]
A bundle of chainmail lies on the ground. [12]
An elite trolloc stands ready to obey orders.
Mazoku the Grotesque Torturer is standing here.
A black shadow stallion paws the ground here, fiery-red eyes shining with evil.

Aureus

Post by Aureus » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:34 pm

Asandra wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:02 am
Can we have items that lay on the ground just crumble to dust after say 30 tics? This item will self-destruct in 30.... 29.... :D
Need to make some exception for quest or crafting items that load with a purpose and is probably coding - but sounds like a long-term solution.
This is already on my project backlog.

My view is asking players to clean up mob eq or otherwise not load it or load special mob eq are not very good solutions. What we'll do instead is when players drop eq on the ground or hide it, after some set period of time (maybe an hour, maybe two -- long enough that they weren't coming back for it later) we'll wipe the eq.