Wheel of Time season 1 episode 8 "The Eye of the World" season finale

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Kryyg

Re: Wheel of Time season 1 episode 8 "The Eye of the World" season finale

Post by Kryyg » Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:22 pm

halfhand wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:11 pm
My thoughts on Season 1 in general.

First of all, I will acknowledge the challenges that they had. Wheel of Time is a large text that need to be boiled down the a TV serialization format and there is some complex concepts and deep woven lore that is typical of High Fantasy. Covid-19 was a major challenge for the logistics and adding all addition overhead costs. Mat's departure resulted in last minute editting and rewrites. The TV series could have benefit from longer run time and more episodes per Raife's request. With that said, the final product is the final product, and I will judge it based on that.

As a TV show, it gets a B.
Characters. The characterization for the most part was designed for Moiraine and Lan and they got the lion share of development. I think their relationship and those associated with them work out well, and everything else suffered. Egwene and Nynaeve got the second tier, and the boys were the last. Perrin essentially had flat development after episode 1 and Matt literally dissapeared. Rand got some later development, but it was rushed and sacrificed due to the show's attempted mystery. There was many secondary and tertiary characters that shown with their brief time, but many of them dissapeared at various times (Loail).

Camera work and editing. The editing was not polished. At this tier (Prestige TV), there should be a much more experienced editing crew. There was confusing and choppy areas that result in confusion. Examples including abrupt cut when Loail shows up with Nynaeve in Tar Valon out of nowhere, Lan teleporting out of his house in Fal Dara behind Nynaeve, or even the last scene teaser where the Seanchan appear to be tsunaming an empty beach. Characters often appear from off screen from odd locations in the stage. Many of the shots and blocking made rooms appear small. There was a lack of any sweep shot of placed like the White Tower, giving it a small claustrophobic apartment feel.

Writing and plot. The Mystery of the Dragon I think was an interesting hook if they actually made it work. In the first few episodes, it seemed like it was fairly interesting take, but it ended up with really on payoff and became quite predictable. It resulted in a lack of focus on Rand's development, which made it more obvious it was him, but resulted in less satisfying reveal.
The way they simplify many of the concepts just makes a very deep world quite flat and one dimensional. It is almost written in a way that makes it predictable, generic fantasy, and lacking in flavor.
The pacing was unsteady from lack of time available, there is no need to harp on this more.

CGI. Looks expected for the level of costs. There are times when it clearly needed more polish and work.

Costuming. I think it was interesting to see their take on different nation's clothing and their attempt to be consistent. I know there's complaints that people weren't dirty enough, but honestly that level of costuming is like next level polish when they have struggled with some basic level of polish. I don't about care about being too clean ,I just would like a visual spectale that is interesting and consistent. The Aes Sedai ring is emblematic of a lot of issues, taking a elegent visually prop and turning into a gaudy monstrosity. The reasoning that it doesn't show up on screen well is a stupid argument when there is something called Lord of the Rings with famous rings that anyone can recognize and didn't have this problem at all.

Now, as a Wheel of Time Show, I will have to say it is C+. There is some level of faithfulness to general plot lines. However, when I think about what I would want from a Wheel of Time in visual medium, I think about seeing some of the scenes in the books brought to live. And when I think of the EOTW book and my favorite scenes (Matt and Rand meeting creepy Ordeith, Rand confronting the CoL and one of them says "Heron-marked, Bornhald...", Perrin learning about wolves with Elyas, Rand in the Andor Throneroom, the final Rand at the Gap) and realizing none of them made the cut, and knowing that in the same pattern, all of the interesting scenes in the future will be inevitably cut as well (matt and the quarterstaff fight, Lan teaching Rand how to impress Moiraine and Siuan, Dark Prophiecies or any of the prophecies, "Five will ride forth", Rand's battle over Falme mirroring the fight on the ground and sheathing the sword, "I win again Lews Therin", Dumai's Well, "Kneel or be knelt", "Let the Lord of Chaos Reign"). None of those will make the final TV draft. I didn't expect one-to-one remake, but I would expect at least a scene to make it.
And that is probably the biggest challenge as a book reader. All those well written great scenes with such emotional payoff aren't going to make it. And a TV show doesn't need them to be successful, but when you can see the potential of something, a B-grade show it probably going to seem very stale.

My hopes for Season 2 and further.
Some fidelity to at least the lore of the Wheel of Time. Cat's out of the bag with Moiraine "stilled", Rand wndering around by himself. Changes and cuts are obviously necessary. Characters can change, merge, be different. Settings and some plot points can be different sure. But, when you start actively changing basic lore and foundation, it's like changing physics of a world, you have a lot of downstream issues that you can either ignore, or attempt to fix resulting in more and more problems. And unless you have writers that are on the level of RJ, they probably are going to slowly dissolve into an incoherent mess.
Changing things just for the sake of change does not make things better.

Give the audience some credit or intelligence. Data has shown that WoT viewing crew is actually older than the normal streaming crowd. It's entirely possible to present complex history to the audience without dumbing it so much it is generic water down fantasy.

Sometimes a little fanservice will give you a lot of credit with the more hardcore audience (bookreader) that will serve as brand ambassadors.

Agree. And I love nearly every scene you mentioned. Still pisses me off they don’t have Lan calling Rand a sheepherder despite knowing he’s the dragon. Instead Lan is a turd.

Kyr

Post by Kyr » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:04 pm

Hackett wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:48 pm
This scene with Lan was especially triggering for me. It reminded me of having to teach Gaidin Trik how to track. He kept letting bloody trollocs get away. I ended up explaining to him the secret tell how of how to track bloody trollocs (they leave highly noticeable bloody trails on the ground). From that day forward, Gaidin Trik improved enough that he was no longer a shame to (most) Gaidin.
Exactly. And all you need to do is whois Trik to see what his Sedai thought of him after he led her into a predator pit and got her trapped and killed. Thats what Moraine should be saying in every episode.

I second Kryyg's sentiment. Halfhand for president. Lets get you involved in the show to sort it out.

iria

Post by iria » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:43 pm

Is Moiraine stilled? I thought she was just shielded. Ishamael says something akin to "frustrating isn't it? Having the One Power at your fingertips but unable to grasp it". If she'd been stilled there'd be nothing for her to feel. The CGI wasn't the same as Logain's gentling either, but was the same CGI for the shield weave they wove on Logain, so it seems she is just shielded to me. Also wouldn't Lan have felt it if the bond was severed due to Moiraine being stilled? At least that was my thoughts when I saw it. Would also explain why she knows it wasn't the Last Battle and it was just the first encounter, since the Shield is still in place.

Granted she may as well be shielded, as there is no way for them to make Isha release the weave, at least not until Rand gives him another beating, which I guess won't be for another full season and only if - and I guess that is a big if - they do make the Falme scene. So I'm guessing Moiraine is going to be channelless the next season at least.

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:34 pm

If it was shielding then shouldn’t she be released after rand bale fires or powder dusts Isha. Also, I vaguely recall the description of feeling or sensing it there but being completely cut off was for stilling?

Marwenn

Post by Marwenn » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:43 pm

I've been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt for the whole run, but it's so disconnected from the story now I'm struggling to justify it.

SPOILERS!!

So, Mat's dad's a rake and worthy of zero respect from us and his son. How different is this from the guy Matt aspires to be seen as an equal too in horse trading? A lot of the stuff happening in ep1-2 wasn't so far away as to set alarm bells ringing though, such as why Perrin had a wife to kill-it's a nice easy shortcut with minimal further input for him needing to be careful not to hurt others, so not too bothered about that. No Min in Baerlon, in fact no Baerlon as far as I could see. Just straight to Shadar Logoth and another episode of soup with no meat, as was the conjunction of paths to TV following that. So many missed opportunities. Where's Elias?

So Morraine's kicked out of the Tower and heads into the ways-so far so good. But now to enter you need to be a channeler? So who's letting trollocs in? There's no mention of forsaken anywhere, which might have explained that. However, this bodes poorly for future plotlines, such as a waygate hidden in Caemlyn. Mat does a bunk, again messing the whole thing up.

FD and an opportunity to salvage the mess we're in, except they've been banging on about 5 potential dragons.

“He is born again! I feel him! The Dragon takes his first breath on the slope of Dragonmount! He is coming! He is coming! Light help us! Light help the world! He lies in the snow and cries like the thunder! He burns like the sun!”

The woke of time turns...

Here we split into 2 equally farcical plotlines, the EOTW and Tarwin's Gap.

EOTW
Supposed to have all members here. This is where we have 2 fights, one with Rand and the team vs Ishmael and 2 other forsaken. Here is also where rand taps into a massive pool of un-tainted saidin, burning Aginor out (Ba'alzamon RIPed by the green man), and severing Ishmael's link to the dark one. All his friends see him for what he is. The big reveal!

Instead we get some nonsense at FD when Rand runs off to the EOTW with Morraine, 'revealing' him as the DR. A stilled AS with a knife at his throat, which would have been impossible to counter by the guy who just stilled her w/o even trying hard... and then the worlds shittest fight.

Meanwhile at Tarwin's gap...
We have a non AS leading a circle, which by the way now has absolutely eff all protection for linked channys. She keeps drawing in more and more power, but only uses it for 20 seconds, before burning 4/5 out herself included. You should be able to be in a circle without being anywhere near the person holding it, but stuff canon there too, now you can fling yourself in between and take all damage. You can't heal death? Well, now you can...

And the final travesty, where was Rand appearing in the sky and his battle with Ishmael both affecting the battle and revealing himself to the troops? None of that crap too now, nope, the DR slinks off into the sunset.

I've no doubt is RJ was still alive, this would never have made it past him. I can only assume his wife is being well paid to waive any input in the complete rewrite of her husbands work :(

iria

Post by iria » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:06 pm

Kryyg wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:34 pm
If it was shielding then shouldn’t she be released after rand bale fires or powder dusts Isha. Also, I vaguely recall the description of feeling or sensing it there but being completely cut off was for stilling?
Don't think twas the balefire or if it was I am assuming it wasn't Ishamael's physical body there, seeing the smirk before he gets incinerated seems to me his plan was just to make Rand break the Seal and they'll start getting into that in season 2. Possibly finding the seals will be Moiraine's task now that she can't channel ?

Spoiler ---

I don't think the people stilled/gentled could feel the Source, but Nynaeve seems to feel something is there to be healed when she is studying Moghedien later on? Tbh it has been way too long since I read the whole series, so the details are a bit hazy.

Aira

Post by Aira » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:16 pm

The weave that was slapped on Moiraine was a shield weave. It was the same grid-like thing as they put on Logain. Iirc, Ishamael didn't have the taint on his weave though, which was a neat detail.

asharek

Post by asharek » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:38 pm

Aira wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:16 pm
The weave that was slapped on Moiraine was a shield weave. It was the same grid-like thing as they put on Logain. Iirc, Ishamael didn't have the taint on his weave though, which was a neat detail.
She was stilled according to Sanderson in his stream and people saying she's stilled based on the interview as he didn't bother correcting it if she was shielded https://www.cbr.com/wheel-of-time-rafe- ... interview/

I don't know why would people still argue that the show would have benefit from more episodes and money as requested when we saw them waste money and time on sad warder stepin and other random made up occurrences.

Lookin back now I'm curious if anyone had an awe(only word I can think of to describe it atm) feeling of someone owning a heron from the show? There was always a certain oh sh** mystique around it even from book one based on people's reactions of Rand possessing one and the blademaster lore -- which was greatly portrayed in early days of the mud.

Anyone have a pro linking lore knowledge explain what happened at the end? Can you throw yourself over someone to stop them from being burnt out? How does the process of drawing out power and order of being burnt out work if the person leading the circle is weak cause usually strongest leads it.

Having more time to think about it I also realized that the strong female competent lead they wanted to portray in Moraine went full circle and created the opposite effect and made her look like a moron. Episode 1: "men with great power believed they could cage the darkness itself, the arrogance." Episode 8: the plan-- take untrained MC to the perceived last battle with no backup and give him a s'angrael then let him walk away after when it wasn't actually the last battle. At least they had 100 companions in the age of legends -_-U

Really wished they did the Age of Legends adaptation instead.. woulda made a lot more sense based on that intro and what they did to the show.

Mikhan

Post by Mikhan » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:46 pm

I think Halfhands analysis is great and I don’t think I’d disagree with anything he said there.

In my own personal viewing experience I had the goal of trying to watch the show as its own creative enterprise — essentially trying to judge the show on its own merits and to suppress my expectations, great and small, that had been formed by the books. I think I was mostly successful in this endeavor, though it was hard to maintain.

When I first watched the first episode, I thought it was some of the worst TV I’d ever seen. About a month later, I rewatched it, recommitted to the idea that I would try to see the show as if for the first time, and I found myself getting sucked into it. I binge watched the first six and watched seven and eight when they were released.

Ken Follett once said that there are two tricks to fiction writing: building a convincing world, and sucking the reader into that world (yes ok I paraphrase). After watching the show from my admittedly intentionally generous perspective, I found that it did a good enough job at building a convincing world, but a mediocre job of sucking the audience in. This fault seems to lie mostly with the writers. My particular pet peeve is how they let the character of Lan go to waste. You book readers all know what I mean there, more or less. But there are many more examples

This last episode really tested my ability to ignore my book memories whilst watching. The confusion with ishamael, the dark one, the horn of Valere, the last battle…but wait! My powers of perspective-control proved strong enough yet. Still, all in all it was a confusing and disappointing episode.

I’ll probably check out a second season. But we certainly live in the end of times

Celeborn

Post by Celeborn » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:57 am

Pros:
Moraine casting.

Cons:
Balefire cant erase the images of this season from my mind.