Wheel of Time Season 1 Episode 7: Dark Along the Ways Prediction and Discussion

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Aira

Re: Wheel of Time Season 1 Episode 7: Dark Along the Ways Prediction and Discussion

Post by Aira » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:39 pm

Alvana wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:59 am
I got some pretty serious DnD vibes in the Ways. The DM was kind enough to make the floor of the entire ways a hex grid, and then one of them cheesed the combat encounter. I'd be furious. :P
I actually thought that was a nice touch. Considering the Ways were grown, having the stones take the shape of honeycombs made sense. The same would've gone for the golden ratio snails' shells though. It was too regular for basalt. :P

asharek

Re: Wheel of Time Season 1 Episode 7: Dark Along the Ways Prediction and Discussion

Post by asharek » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:33 pm

Katherine wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:54 am
asharek wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:54 pm
Oh I was being sarcastic about who Lews Therin is but I don't know about him being referred to inside the actual show or if he was actually mentioned in EOTW other than the prologue cause I dont remember.
*** book spoilers***

Although we have all of the books in hardback, I'm reading the series in the Kindle app this time. The search function works pretty well, because I do not remember details all that well either:

Chapter 14 - when Baalzamon (aka Ishmael) was talking to Rand in a dream. This is the chapter where we know for sure Baalzamon is Ishmael because he talks about standing next to Lews Therin while he was acting out of madness. <-- finished this chapter a few days ago, which is why I knew he was mentioned again.

Also mentioned in:
Chapters 15, 36, 39, 50, 51, 52, and 53.
Thanks! That's pretty handy.. probably would have had to reread EOTW to find it and the rest of the books as I'd be caught up in the story again. Ep 8 les go! 5 dragons combine!

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:59 am

asharek wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:33 pm
Ep 8 les go! 5 dragons combine!
They've got a power and a force that you've never seen before.
They've got the ability to channel and to even up the score.
No one can ever take them down
The Wheel lies on their side.

Go Go Power Dragons
Go Go Power Dragons
Go Go Power Dragons
Mighty Channelin' Power Dragons

halfhand

Post by halfhand » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:57 pm

https://twitter.com/dragonmount/status/ ... 6537197573
Wheel of Time is official Amazon's top premier of all time, putting it ahead of premiers of shows like The Boys, The Expanse, Man in the High Castle, Invincible, Carnival Row.

Also, just for fun ,the comparison for cost/episode for similar genre shows to see if Wheel of Time is getting the bang for its bucks. Obviously, Episode 8 looks it is taking up a large amount of money from the Teasers, but on average the costs seem more than the actual visual quality so far.

Wheel of Time $10 million/episode
Witcher $10 million/episode (season 1)
Westworld $10 million/episode
Stranger Things $8 million/episode
Game of Thrones $15 million/episode (final season)
Lord of the Rings (upcoming) $60 million/episode assuming same 8 episode/season
Hawkeye $25 million/episode
Mandalorian $15 million/episode

Alison

Post by Alison » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:30 pm

Ok . My gripe.

By book one Egwene and Rand was done, and by the time he met min he was ready for someone new.

Amazons take. Slap them in bed or in each others arms every min they get. There is like zero chemistry between the two actors.

Lan/Nynaeves chars work. Even the chemistry is there.

Fight scene with tigraine was believable, but i would've like to see more. It felt rushed .

Also didnt Tam find Rand in a blanket?

All in all. The only real gripe i have is the blight. Copy and paste much?

also also

I am not batman, im your fathers mothers late nephew. Twice removed.

Sarryn

Post by Sarryn » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:44 pm

Refrained from posting till now. Figured I’d see how it goes for a bit. I mean what can you say about the series in general. Am I super excited about it getting a show? Absolutely! Never thought I’d see my first real book read series come to life. That being said.. is it watchable? Yeah…it’s not utterly terrible. It’s just underwhelming.. I mean with this budget?

The show feels hollow, and just kind of poorly written and done. There’s nothing about it that really jumps out. It’s just bland. I mean I say this from a stand point of just rewatching the Witcher season 1. Like episode 8 for example there. Legit amazing, well done. Filmed, written, acting just pops. Comparably there’s no comparison. I barely enjoyed the games. So it’s not like there’s a bias there. The Witcher and some other series are just way better.

I’d be entirely more biased towards WoT, given near 20 years here. Overall it’s just there. I’m excited about it. Happy it got a show, there goodish. But yeah in comparison to some other series mentioned it’s just meh. Sooo much more excited for the Witcher and some other series mentioned. Just not well portrayed, not sure where there moneys going. But ya after a bland review. And extremely low expectations. I will continue to watch and love the show. Just happy to see the series get some love.💚

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:00 pm

halfhand wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:57 pm
https://twitter.com/dragonmount/status/ ... 6537197573
Wheel of Time is official Amazon's top premier of all time, putting it ahead of premiers of shows like The Boys, The Expanse, Man in the High Castle, Invincible, Carnival Row.

Also, just for fun ,the comparison for cost/episode for similar genre shows to see if Wheel of Time is getting the bang for its bucks. Obviously, Episode 8 looks it is taking up a large amount of money from the Teasers, but on average the costs seem more than the actual visual quality so far.

Wheel of Time $10 million/episode
Witcher $10 million/episode (season 1)
Westworld $10 million/episode
Stranger Things $8 million/episode
Game of Thrones $15 million/episode (final season)
Lord of the Rings (upcoming) $60 million/episode assuming same 8 episode/season
Hawkeye $25 million/episode
Mandalorian $15 million/episode
I am shocked to read this. I just watched the first two episodes of the Witcher (season 2). My brother, dad and I were all commenting on The scenery, CGI, overall finish and polish of Netflix shows. Reading that they spent the same amount of money on WoT is insane as the Witcher is at least 100x better in terms of CGI and scenery.

The Aiel fight in the beginning of the episode was pretty sick. Too bad Warders are still shown as chumps and no better than your average fighter. I wasn't overly disappointed in Rand's outing, the flash back scenes were neat. The Egwene-Rand-Perrin love triangle...so idiotic and pointless. Mat being left behind and the entire Padan Fain-Dagger arc being removed or at least changed seemed like just pure laziness. I'm assuming the guy who says "Welcome back Dai'shan" is Ingtar. Or at least I hope it is. Uno got 5 seconds even if 4 of them were the back of his burnt head. Both were enjoyable character. The Golden bees on Tam's armor. I like these details. I would give the episode 6/10.

Still no explanation of the heron marks significance. Agree Blight seems lazy/copy paste. In the books there were ruins, lakes, etc.. Anyways, will see next episode.

halfhand

Post by halfhand » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:54 am

Episode 8 Spoilers.

Official episode 8 Promo:
https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/stat ... 2472093702

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:22 am

Intensely disliked everything about the ways other than machin.

Liked Tigraine's fight,(even though it was filler) best fight in show so far by decent margin.

I liked the look of Fal dara and Agelmar casting right up until script writers had anything to do with it and he opened his mouth.
Borderlanders with zero respect for sedai or Lan, just a little bit chummy with Lan.

Min is completely wasted, should have left her cut completely, half the series was bullshit exposition she could have been used to do herself in baerlon. For some reason they have no attempt to even cgi anything with her when the table is wide open.

Moiraine's worst episode.

Did anyone at all imagine the blight as a crowded dead jungle not a desolate wasteland with a few mutant trees?

Liked Rand when he had nothing to do with anyone else.(every interaction with mat perrin and egwene is terrible, egwene was terrible in books so i guess that fits)

Liked Nyneave(prob my favorite char in series and least favorite in books). Accellerating her relationship worked fine.