WoT: Season 1 Episode 5 "Blood Calls Blood" Discussion

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Kordin

Re: WoT: Season 1 Episode 5 "Blood Calls Blood" Discussion

Post by Kordin » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:19 am

zankou wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:07 am
Simeon wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:05 am
logain laughing at rand makes me think rand will be the dragon. atleast they didnt change that.
Theyve altered a lot of things, but i dont think they'll change who the dragon actually is. That would shock me, and would have immense backlash in the WoT community.
A lot was already changed, things that are important for world, character and story development...so...while it is a stretch, I think all options are on the table. At least until they reach the end of EotW or whatever the show equivalent will be to that book ending.

isabel

Post by isabel » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:19 am

Tyrex wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:57 pm
I don’t get the hate. This can’t be the books - the formats aren’t the same - so I watch it for a show based on the books. I enjoyed this episode (not as much as ep 4!) as a world building / char development episode. Lan is a generally stone faced bad ass but still waters run deep.
I don't disagree with you and I thought iria made some great points about show appreciation. The thing is that I watched a teen drama set in some random American small townn- totally different from my cultural context and I cared a great deal more about the characters by episode 2. It doesn't matter how many cultures they are diving into - it's not a documentary - it matters that the audience cares about the characters and I really had nothing to feel for lan or stepin etc.

So yes, worldbuilding and dedicated readers will run with it, but it's a bad TV show that by episode 4 still hasn't drawn character sympathy.

I'm stil hopeful and would continue to watch. A friend who hasn't read the books says she's feeling some sympathy for the "two rivers folk" but only mildly. So let's see!

zankou

Post by zankou » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:23 am

So far, i think nynaeve is put in the best light, and is my fav show character. I am looking forward to (and hope its shown) mat kicking some warders ass with a staff.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:34 am

Simeon wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:11 am
how can I post with my ingame name when all my characters are banned? answer me that goddess!
There is a reason three strikes on forums lead to an ingame ban. They go hand in hand.

Also, if you're a little bit of an asshole, you're still an asshole. The same applies everywhere.

Please post using a known ingame character, or leave the show discussion threads.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:35 am

isabel wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:19 am
Tyrex wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:57 pm
I don’t get the hate. This can’t be the books - the formats aren’t the same - so I watch it for a show based on the books. I enjoyed this episode (not as much as ep 4!) as a world building / char development episode. Lan is a generally stone faced bad ass but still waters run deep.
I don't disagree with you and I thought iria made some great points about show appreciation. The thing is that I watched a teen drama set in some random American small townn- totally different from my cultural context and I cared a great deal more about the characters by episode 2. It doesn't matter how many cultures they are diving into - it's not a documentary - it matters that the audience cares about the characters and I really had nothing to feel for lan or stepin etc.

So yes, worldbuilding and dedicated readers will run with it, but it's a bad TV show that by episode 4 still hasn't drawn character sympathy.

I'm stil hopeful and would continue to watch. A friend who hasn't read the books says she's feeling some sympathy for the "two rivers folk" but only mildly. So let's see!
It honestly has a very Sword of Truth feel to it, both as SoT show and books.

This does seem like it's made as an amateur documentary, the shows world and character building. The series does start slow, but IMHO if they focused more on mystery and character interaction and build-up, instead of wanting to get into "shock and awe" instantly - it would've been better.

Wouldn't need to change and cut out so much. Thom being in EF from the start, more screen time for Padan Fain, Min in Baerlon, Moiraine not walking in like the Pope "here's the ring, kiss it" but maintaining their cover so not even the audience knows from the start who she is and what her motives are...that might make the audience feel more connected to the Two Rivers kids.

There's plenty of shock and awe to come, depending on what they decide to use. This just feels like they don't have good storytellers, just people who wanna make GoT-lite like scenes.

halfhand

Post by halfhand » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:41 am

https://www.parrotanalytics.com/insight ... mber-2021/

The Wheel of Time is number 1 in demand for last week for digital originals (11/27-12/3)
1. The Wheel of Time 43.0x
2. Arcane 42.8x (no new episodes)
3. Hawkeye 41.3x
4. Stranger Things 37.4x (no new episodes)
5. The Mandolorian 36.7x (no new episodes)

Compared to all TV market for the week
1. South Park 84.9X
4. My Hero Academia 47.5X
5. Game of Thrones 44.5X
6. The Wheel of TIme 43.0X

wade

Post by wade » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:46 pm

I find myself constantly warring with myself as I watch these episodes. I use the argument that you can't always show on screen what you can in a book. So I'm watching these with my wife who hasn't read the books and she's asking me questions about why certain things are happening and is somewhat confused at some points. I honestly have no answer for her for some of the things she asks. Like how did valda go directly to thinking egwene could channel. And what's happening with Perrin and the wolves I end up having to explain what happened in the books vs what the movie is doing. That being said I hate that they've skipped major plot points in the story in favor of expanding on characters that weren't even part of the original story. And it's making the story seem disjointed and jumps around too much sometimes for me to even realize hey why is moiraine already in TV? And why is nynaeve in caemlyn with rand at the end of this episode but in the beginning was asking moiraine to find the boys and egwene. I guess if you came into this knowing nothing of the story it's ok but seriously hard to understand what the writers are doing with the story adapting it to the screen. When mat was watching logain laugh at then rand didn't even seem to notice and maybe they were showing the shadar logoth taint in mat but at that point it made me think they are making mat the dragon and I almost shut it off thumbs down on this one. So I guess moiraine isn't the one who going to temporarily seal the taint off in mat so like what mat is going insane? This is a major deviation I could forgive the other things like they saw white bridge before the saw baerlon? But even then that doesn't make sense since you have to pass baerlon before you even get to Wb from the two rivers. I dunno i understand that we all have our own expectations of how things looks and how events are supposed to happen from our own imagination but even then it seemed like the WB bridge was like this little dinky thing that wasn't impressive at all. It's supposed to be this huge arching structure looking like glass but it's barely two spans long and flat in the show.

I equate their adaptation to the removal of zerk attack. There I said it. Also bring back zerk attack :twisted:

Ps I think they also did mat dirty I feel like this was the ultimate betrayal.
Last edited by wade on Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:53 pm

wade wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:46 pm
And why is nynaeve in caemlyn with rand at the end of this episode but in the beginning was asking moiraine to find the boys and egwene.
They're all in Tar Valon, Caemlyn was skipped like Baerlon etc.
wade wrote:
like they saw white bridge before the saw baerlon? But even then that doesn't make sense since you have to pass baerlon before you even get to Wb from the two rivers.
That place was made up, with the DF bartender. Where they met Thom. I forgot what they called it, but it doesn't exist in the books...

wade

Post by wade » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:10 pm

Kordin wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:53 pm
wade wrote:
And why is nynaeve in caemlyn with rand at the end of this episode but in the beginning was asking moiraine to find the boys and egwene.
wade wrote:
like they saw white bridge before the saw baerlon? But even then that doesn't make sense since you have to pass baerlon before you even get to Wb from the two rivers.
That place was made up, with the DF bartender. Where they met Thom. I forgot what they called it, but it doesn't exist in the books...
Making my point further it's really hard to reconcile the two stories also as far as mat is concerned they could have just shown him in Ef pranking some people and gambling when he shouldn't didn't have to make him a scumbag with a soft spot for his sisters. And to be honest the whole cauthon Family was done dirty so are we to assume if Perrin comes back to the two rivers Abell and Tam are not fighting trollocs and then they go save the luhans and the cauthon family's from white cloaks? That part is a major turning point in Perrin accepting he's a leader and going to have a duty in the last battle. Again another huge part of the story is probably not going to make it onto the screen the story is barely recognizable.

Another thing they've already approved seasons 2and 3 right? So why not make it closely resemble the original story. I understand not being able to fit everything that happens is a 1000 pagish book into 10 episodes but it could resemble the actual story a bit better and not have all these tangent story arcs that ultimately do nothing to further the story. They wasted like a episode and a half on logain like that guy needs that much time he doesn't really come into play at all until way later in the series could have just shown him being gentled and then moping around the tower because they won't let him leave towards the end and that time wasted on him and the aes sedai that captured him and put in the part where rand meets elayne and gawyn And made it like he was just passing through caemlyn on the way to TV and ended it where they are now. Then there's some continuity in the story. So basil gills inn is in TV? Ugh who the hell is this director like I understand taking some artistic lisc with some things but I call this a butchery of a masterpiece on par with shinedowns version of simple man where he can't hit the high notes and sounds like a frog trying to sing. Maybe a singing frog will be the green man.
Last edited by wade on Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stryker

Post by Stryker » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:20 pm

Kordin wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:53 pm
wade wrote:
wade wrote:
It was Breen's Spring. It exists in the books.