WoT: Season 1 Episode 5 "Blood Calls Blood" Discussion

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Detritus

Re: WoT: Season 1 Episode 5 "Blood Calls Blood" Discussion

Post by Detritus » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:57 am

Aira wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:22 pm
I think grief is also a cultural thing, not just emotional. There are so many grieving rituals that I've just seen on the news. Like women vocalizing, or people throwing themselves on a coffin. Tearing clothes is one, too. People slapping themselves. Combined with the comment about 'warding off the Forsaken' and the Malkieri ritual, I have a feeling they are trying to introduce future equivalents of real world religious rituals, as opposed to just Dark bad, Light good. Like the Shienarans have the phrase "may the last embrace of the Mother welcome you home" and Aiel have the "life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again".
Yea but you know, this is theoretically supposed to be based on a set of books.

Just one more character they're completely ruining from the get go.
R.I.P. Book Mat Book Perrin Book Thom and Book Lan

It's like they have something against Heroic archetypes the books are full of and have to neuter them as quick as possible.

Aira

Post by Aira » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:42 am

Detritus wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:57 am

Yea but you know, this is theoretically supposed to be based on a set of books.

Just one more character they're completely ruining from the get go.
R.I.P. Book Mat Book Perrin Book Thom and Book Lan

It's like they have something against Heroic archetypes the books are full of and have to neuter them as quick as possible.
You mean a series of books that is set in future apocalyptic earth? How inconceivable that there's parallels between us and them.

Jestin

Post by Jestin » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:53 am

I agree that the show has gone overboard in wokeness and it's distracting sometimes. And I'm a minority in case that is somehow relevant to having this opinion.

Anyway I read this theory somewhere that Lan was supposed to show emotion as the lead mourner. But he couldn't do it and he looked at Moiraine for help. So she started crying for him and he felt her emotions through the bond and was able to continue the ceremony leading to the chest banging and the yelling. But he still wasn't able to cry. Because you can't draw water from stone.

Supposedly his more genuine reaction of grief was when he initially found Stepin by himself - sad and silent.

But I'm not sure if I give the show runners this much credit haha

Zilla

Post by Zilla » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:07 am

Jestin wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:53 am
Anyway I read this theory somewhere that Lan was supposed to show emotion as the lead mourner. But he couldn't do it and he looked at Moiraine for help. So she started crying for him and he felt her emotions through the bond and was able to continue the ceremony leading to the chest banging and the yelling. But he still wasn't able to cry. Because you can't draw water from stone.

Supposedly his more genuine reaction of grief was when he initially found Stepin by himself - sad and silent.

But I'm not sure if I give the show runners this much credit haha
This is a pretty interesting thought. I had interpreted the scene as kind of the opposite, where Moiraine was feeding off his grief through the bond. Like maybe he had all the grief and emotions inside, but wasn't very comfortable with expressing them outwardly, but Moiraine could feel all of it.

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:40 pm

Huh I didn't actually have "doesn't remain true to the Masonic mysteries" on my bingo card. Dunno what wokeness is even being referred to. Liandrin's line about the world not being nice to girls?

Episode 4 was okay for me. It is a bit jarring how they skipped over all of Caemlyn and mashed those scenes in to Tar Valon but I get it. I like Loial. I'm guessing the Amyrlin Seat 'returning from Caemlyn' means she is bringing Elayne and probably Elaida back with her?

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:53 pm

Simeon's racist comments drew the evil eye and this here god(dess) is going to make a new rule:

Only post on Show threads with an account that bears the name of your -known- ingame character.

If you really stand behind your opinion, you should have no qualms being open about it, and deal with any consequences that may come your way.

While there is a character named Simeon, they haven't been on in five years. The forum Simeon registered from a throwaway mail account site. Either someone is trolling, or they know their opinion would not go over well and they are cowardly hiding behind a throwaway account.

Tyrex

Post by Tyrex » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:57 pm

I don’t get the hate. This can’t be the books - the formats aren’t the same - so I watch it for a show based on the books. I enjoyed this episode (not as much as ep 4!) as a world building / char development episode. Lan is a generally stone faced bad ass but still waters run deep.

Arthor

Post by Arthor » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:39 am

I'm still sitting here wondering wtf is wrong with Lan? the dude was my favorite character in the books and he got majorly nerfed.

Simeon

Post by Simeon » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:05 am

logain laughing at rand makes me think rand will be the dragon. atleast they didnt change that.

zankou

Post by zankou » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:07 am

Simeon wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:05 am
logain laughing at rand makes me think rand will be the dragon. atleast they didnt change that.
Theyve altered a lot of things, but i dont think they'll change who the dragon actually is. That would shock me, and would have immense backlash in the WoT community.