Why are absolutely any chances of enjoying PvE being destroyed?

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Alison

Re: Why are absolutely any chances of enjoying PvE being destroyed?

Post by Alison » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:22 am

Elysia wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:24 pm
arston wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:22 pm
If the goal is to introduce risk to the PVE, and if the target user is primarily PVE players who are getting a taste of PVP, then throwing them into the some of the most dangerous spots in the game isnt really a great idea, because they have little to fall back on, their only advantage is sneaking in and doing it unnoticed which is extremely difficult for reasons stated above.
The goal isn't necessarily risk to pve, but at least making people dip their toes in pk. It's like some people want to have a bonused channeler, e.g. Aes Sedai, without the rp. It's not going to happen, even if you're the best pker in the game. You'll have to dip your toes in rp.

In our experience, it's the players who branch out that stay. If you're only interested in rp and no one is willing, it's easy to go do something else. However, if you can pk, pve and rp, you have far more options than those who only have a narrow interest. It's in everyone's interest that every type is introduced to activities that lie outside their comfort zone. And that is better in a group than going Gap solo when clueless. It's how oldbies were introduced to pking too, through raids around 4k and Emond's Field.
Well said.

Kordin

Re: Why are absolutely any chances of enjoying PvE being destroyed?

Post by Kordin » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:23 am

Alison wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:22 am
Elysia wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:24 pm
arston wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:22 pm
If the goal is to introduce risk to the PVE, and if the target user is primarily PVE players who are getting a taste of PVP, then throwing them into the some of the most dangerous spots in the game isnt really a great idea, because they have little to fall back on, their only advantage is sneaking in and doing it unnoticed which is extremely difficult for reasons stated above.
The goal isn't necessarily risk to pve, but at least making people dip their toes in pk. It's like some people want to have a bonused channeler, e.g. Aes Sedai, without the rp. It's not going to happen, even if you're the best pker in the game. You'll have to dip your toes in rp.

In our experience, it's the players who branch out that stay. If you're only interested in rp and no one is willing, it's easy to go do something else. However, if you can pk, pve and rp, you have far more options than those who only have a narrow interest. It's in everyone's interest that every type is introduced to activities that lie outside their comfort zone. And that is better in a group than going Gap solo when clueless. It's how oldbies were introduced to pking too, through raids around 4k and Emond's Field.
Well said.
With how easy it is these days to move halfway across the map or get info where people are/might be, making people dip their toes in PK doesn't need extra work such as making heralds end up in Blight.

As for getting people outside of their comfort zone - people play for various reasons. A number of those, don't care about PK/PvP, they want to chill with PvE or immerse themselves in WoT world. And for now, this game is probably the closest thing they have for that. I mean what's the other option? Other WoT muds aren't even close to WoTMUD, and only other game is that 1999 FPS joke - Call of Shadar Logoth: Aes Sedai On A Rampage.

One of the examples of making people, mostly newbs (some returning players) dip their toes in PK was getting them all to join an LS clan, "suddenly" a war starts, and those "outside their comfort zone" get farmed and end up quitting because it's no fun to die several times (on avg) when they log on .

How it was before with raids in 4k and EF and where-ever else - those were different times, different plans and focuses for the game and it's not the same game (in a way) that it is now.

A lot of changes that happened, wouldn't have happen back then, and IMHO it seems that way because people realized PK isn't be-all-and-end-all.

PK is one of those things that'll happen on it's own, eventually, without pushing things/people towards it, to dip toes or get drowned in. Seems to frequently happen in the usual places such as FD-RK-TKD stretch of zones, particularly now with the new smob zone as an extra incentive to go there. Andor gets raided frequently.....new players and/or returning won't miss out on a lesson (or reminder) what PK is like, unless they just sit at a cityhead all day.

I stopped enjoying PK a long time ago, it's just not fun for me anymore and I'll do it if I have to, but if there's nothing else and only PK or to try and find PK - I'll rather log off TBH. And there are others who feel the same way who've been around for a while.

Should try keeping (and this goes for all of us if we want to see the playerbase grown, or at least not drop again...) even those players who don't branch out on all possible activities here, those might require more effort to keep, but most likely a lot less than those who branch out, or rather - jump into PK. I assume....