A short building blog.

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Elysia

A short building blog.

Post by Elysia » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:38 pm

I figured I would post a little thing to show people how making a master quest works.

This is Callesa's, btw. Callesa has a story and roleplay log series on Roleplay Forums. I spoke with Callesa what her goals were in this quest series, so I'm kind of working 'on demand'. This is new for me, too! :!:

Anyway, I figured I'd post a few little things to show how this goes.

So, from the info supplied, I need a building. I'll probably add another, adjacent building to allow as a point of entry. A particular type of building. I have an idea, but I'm not sure if that's area appropriate to the real world equivalent country. I google a bit, find out my idea is in fact not correct. I adjust the design. I connect ten rooms in the layout I want. I make the room names. Some already elaborate like (fake) Balcony Overlooking the Countryside. Others are just "yard" until I come up with something better. I fill in the rooms based on what you can normally see in these types of buildings. I stop working when I have three rooms left to write, because I need to do a little WoT research for a literal one line comment in a desc.

Now, I'm stuck. I have a quest area, but no 'quest'. Nothing to do, nothing to kill, nothing to puzzle in/out off. Fine, we will need a way for Callesa to get in. Then what? Fight something? Or try something stealthy? Can I even do stealthy? I wonder if I can do stealthy. I'll have to test if I can actually do stealthy.

While commenting to other imms about how stuck I am, I have an idea. Let's hope the small group Callesa can bring in her timezone aren't stupid, or this will go sideways, fast. :twisted:

So, now I have the middle of the quest, an idea for the beginning, e.g. how to enter the quest area. And an idea for an ending. Oh wait, I can do an open ending... Now I have two endings. One ending has opportunities for others, let's hope she picks that!

Finally, after more than a week, I have a fleshed out idea for this quest. Now comes the hard part: putting new ideas into mobol and hope it works.

Fuujin

Re: A short building blog.

Post by Fuujin » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:08 pm

I really like the idea of being given a peek under the hood here! :D

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:25 pm

Finished the last few rooms, after looking up some relevant info about horses. Oh the weird stuff I end up having to google because of building stuff... I'm sure by now my internet profile has everything from how to color fireworks, to how to weave baskets, how to make soap the traditional old school way and how to cut diamonds...

Asandra

Post by Asandra » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:10 am

Bomb squad incoming.... :D :D

Callesa

Post by Callesa » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:42 pm

I am soooo looking forward to this! I've reread the thread a few times, almost afraid to reply as if I could break it :-D
The Master quest is indeed the biggest rank 7 bonus!

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:11 pm

Made the last room I needed to serve as a way to enter the zone and wrote the 'coach' mobol for entering the zone, plus a few commands to figure out.

A lot still to go, but at least we're now into the meat and bones of the quest.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:28 pm

Spent way too long making an object. Without detailed imm help files, this particular type is always a lot of fumbling about. Decaying in my hands a bunch, it not working as intended and whatnot. The 2nd type of the same object was easier.

I made some more door opening mobol and started with the "let's hope the others are smart" part.

Combined, this took a little over an hour.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:33 pm

Spent another hour and built two mobs for the quest and did a mobol tune up to make the "I hope they're smart" part more accurate. It works. Whee!

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:40 pm

Built another mob for option 2. Also wrote two pieces of mobol and tested. All works. But, this is the barebones for one of them. Now comes my favorite (not): writing dialogue.

Things are taking longer than they normally would, because with the return of so many oldbies, I'm spending about half the time answering questions, setting people to prerolledstats and whatnot. We'll get there eventually.

Callesa

Post by Callesa » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:29 pm

This is so awesome!!! Thank you for building it and also describing it. I am so looking forward to this! And I hope we will be clever enough :-D