The Wheel of TIme Season 1 Episode 4 "The Dragon Reborn" Discussion

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Firimei Lang

Re: The Wheel of TIme Season 1 Episode 4 "The Dragon Reborn" Discussion

Post by Firimei Lang » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:59 am

No complaints, only continuity with Nynaeve remembering the old tounge phrases when her parents died in the attack?! She was a baby I thought.
I just love the casting, and effects. Inclusion and Liandrin is great.

Dartes

Post by Dartes » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:32 am

Raya wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:31 am
Detritus wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:37 am

Heal bomb for wisdoms!
Hah! Itesh, make it so!
-100 sps, flags the room as lit
-20 db coz your braid gets untangled.

By the way, previous episode's ingredients for cure poison was spot on with 1 goatflower and 1 willow bark (and more).
[/quote]

Multi-heal! Copy the refresh weave, costs 20 sps to cast, plus 20 sps per person healed. Heals 200 hps and blinds them all?

Ashlee

Post by Ashlee » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:11 am

Dinuc wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:58 am
So they setup that male and female cannot see each others weaves, and then twice completely ignored that lore.

When logain was shielded they commented on how they couldn't see his weaves.

But then during the battle, the green ajah deflects 2 of the 3 logain weaves.

And then with the super saiyan heal bomb, logain commented on how it looked like the sun.

I don't mind changes and stuff. But they could at least try to be consistent.
Really? I thought that Karene saw Logain pushing against her shield (ie her own weave which she could see), which is how she knew where Logain’s attack was coming from (she was the head of the Battle Ajah, after all).

As for Logain’s comment about Nynaeve, I didn’t take that as him saying he saw her weaves so much as he saw the result of a woman Healing numerous people from the brink of death and extrapolated how powerful she was based on the complexity of that weave on that number of people.

Jestin

Post by Jestin » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:53 am

Maybe I just went into this one with super low expectations vs the opposite for the first three but...

I loved it! Yes there were several things not consistent with the books but this time I barely noticed it. The emotions and belief of the tinkers, the struggle with Logain, Moiraines uncertainty about the dragon, it all worked for me.

Seeing Nynaeve, one of my favorite characters at least later in the books, kick ass this early was so awesome! Even if it wasn't really possible in the books. Great way to reveal a badass character. I'm pumped now. Probably will hate the next episode now that my expectations are high again.

Jestin

Post by Jestin » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:56 am

Also the lack of dance weaving was a welcome change from the first episode.

isabel

Post by isabel » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:58 am

Ok posting before I read any comments here (then I can dive in :D)-

What they are doing with the sedai/warder bond is SO cool. Like a whole new kind of friendship/relationship/whatever - it wasn't really highlighted so much in the books but I think the series is bringing out this dynamic in a way that is very exciting. Same gender friendships have always had so much room for complexity. Opposite gender friendships - including the bond in the books at times - generally fall into the brother, parent, lover, solider, mentor kind of thing but here I think they are setting up something equallly open-ended and conplex.

It's obviously different to watch this knowing what we know - especially about liandrin. But if anything I think it added to my appreciation of what they were doing and how. I love how they set up the entire logain/liandrin thing (honestly, the most interesting subplot at the moment) ugh I don't even have words right now but that bit was on par with some of the best got scenes for me with how liandrin managed to get what she wanted ultimately. The one moment I thought they could have done more with was when moiraine confronts logain and I thought she would ask him something plot-furthering but it turned out to be just rhetoric. Hoping for more moiraine/liandrin tension and drama :D

This is from episode 3 (which I rewatched) - that bit when rand and mat are being chased by the darkfriend, on rewatch it was kind of ludicrous that these two grown men are running from this one short woman. And I noticed some of that here also that they kind of downplay male physical dominance. Even in ep 3 when egwene and Perrin meet the tinkers and Perrin is kind of hiding behind egwene.

Logain is such a great character and he didn't really get to be centrrstage in the books, and I'm sooo thrilled with where the show is going with him.

The fight scene - no words, it was great.

Only one thing is at this point we really don't know the limits of what can be done with the power. So when nynaeve got angry we didn't know if she would insta heal everyone plus shield logain plus what..like that part makes things a bit random. They can at this point alter the course of any scene with a channeler present and I wish we had some sense of what the limits etc are.

Lan spending so much time with nynaeve and not moiraine - obviously they're developing the lan/nyn romantic relationship in a big way and their scenes are really nice but I realy would have liked more screentime on mat/rand for instance (main characters - hello!). Same with lan/moiraine kind of the brains behind what is actually going on for the light side.

Also I can't waaaait to see liandrin or whoeevr talking to one of the forsaken.

Okay now to read other ppl comments!

Jestin

Post by Jestin » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:59 am

Also I loved the rage from Liandrin after one of her sisters died even though not of her Ajah. Gave me chills in the moment though obviously she has external motives.

Jestin

Post by Jestin » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:08 am

Finally, Rosamund Pike is just such a great actor. Almost too good because every other actor with her in any scene starts to look bland in comparison. Loving her as Moiraine right now as long as she refrains from dancing in the future.

isabel

Post by isabel » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:12 am

Forgot to add - the tinker scenes honestly I think anyone who watches this (and aiel and others haven't even come up) will get drawn into the philosophy and mythology of the books which is part of why they're so immersive. I genuinely do not think GoT competes at all in that category. For all its attraction, GoT ultimately really was just a political drama with a side bit of death cult ideology and some nature worshippy stuff.

Realy overall feel like the show is doing a tremendous job of developing some of the best of wot. I really couldn't care about the size of sedai rings or whether dragon embroidery on logain's tunic was pink or purple.

(Also officially rooting for logain to become dragon reborn and liandrin to become amyrlin - in some alternate reality :lol: )

isabel

Post by isabel » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:11 am

@kordin - number 1 reason for them to tease female characters as potential dragons without actually going that route (bolded and underlined in triplicate). Lets them build so much more suspense to everything.

(From a non book viewer on reddit)

Me every episode: "okay, it's pretty obvious that [x] is the Dragon.."

Wheel of Time: "LOL, you thought!"