The Wheel of TIme Season 1 Episode 4 "The Dragon Reborn" Discussion

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Kryyg

Re: The Wheel of TIme Season 1 Episode 4 "The Dragon Reborn" Discussion

Post by Kryyg » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:49 pm

Also surprised and shocked to say the show took a 180 for me. Enjoyed the episode very much so.

The warder rage was a great set up for heal bomb.

Tyrex

Post by Tyrex » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:09 pm

Hasn’t been brought up yet I don’t think but Thom charging the fade was also for me one of those memorable scenes from the books that was adapted well and incredible to see on screen.

Katherine

Post by Katherine » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:36 am

***book spoilers***

What I liked about Ep 4-

Logain is near perfect. Great casting and his part is well written and performed. Showing him sparing the king's life at the start of the episode is a book deviation but probably a substitute for not having Min's talent as it showed us that Logain could be awesome later.

A bit of humor that Liandrin did not know how to pronounce Nynaeve's name. To me that was a nod to book readers who repeatedly flipped to the appendix for its pronunciation when each new book was released. Don't even deny it.

Even though I really didnt care for Nynaeve's heal bomb, I still appreciated the fact that the show made it crystal clear Nynaeve is so much more powerful than the other Aes Sedai who were supposed to be among the stronger fully trained Aes Sedai from the Tower. She's not even in the same class of channeler and is on the same level of power as some of the Forsaken who were the most powerful channelers at the end of the last age. Also, she is supposed to have a channeling block but in the books she can channel through it when angry. I guess that's where the heal bomb came from. Except for the early display of her power, the rest is all 100% book accurate.

The Dragonsworn got their first appearance on screen in Ep 4. Even though they are following Logain at this time, that still makes them early Dragonsworn. Attacking Aes Sedai in Andor no less. Its almost like the writers have been reading our mail.

The tinkers are on mark. Pretty much what I expected there. Also Aram is the first time Egwene starts to question her relationship with Rand. I think that's coming across well in this episode.

Although it does not seem book accurate to me, I really liked seeing the shield weave look like an actual weave of threads. I also like that the AS were required to hold the weave rather than tie it off because in the books shield weaves could be unraveled if left unattended.

Also liked how the warder bond is being portrayed particularly how Lan drinking alcohol also affects Moiraine. This information along with the note about how the bond is closer than husband and wife is included in the same episode where we are starting to see some of the early sparks between Lan and Nynaeve. So its being used as a kind of foreshadowing.

Thom gave us an abbreviated explanation of why men cannot channel without going mad. Maybe the writing team are holding back here as well as not showing the prologue events to avoid spoiling the age of legends movie.

Ep4 introduced us to the Blue, Red and Green Ajahs. Apparently the Blues are an Ajah of good-for-nothing spies and meddlers. *snicker*

What I did not like:

Its not good when the only scene in the episode that is book accurate is the short segment where Egwene and Perrin talk to the Tinkers about the way of the leaf and Aram talking about leaving.

Just not a big fan of how much the show is getting away from RJ's story. The /essence/ might be the same, but its just not the same. Watching the series after reading the books is a lot like how I imagine it might be if I were to hold saidar almost to bursting and then releasing it, watching the world through duller senses.

I give this episode a 5/10 only because I know RJ is turning over in his grave because they are changing his story so much and he's not alive to enjoy the royalties.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:00 am

I'm actually glad I did not do a book read. Comparing notes with friends who haven't read the books I can already see how stuff is landing differently. I almost wish I didn't know about liandrin or didn't have the comfort of knowing the story isn't over for someone as awesome as logain (it would have been a lot more heartbreaking otherwise!!)

Also, moiraine reaction shot to nynaeve heal bomb is stuck in my brain.

(Was the fight scene with dsworn kind of confusing to watch for others too? As someone said it felt like too few people and open battlefield sedai work seems kind of unimpressive? Like they were already losing, some red gets arrowed and then Alanna says you all go to logain and three of them will hold the fort and somehow they do? That whole bit seemed v odd. Also the guy shooting arrows at short range did not look realistic! Also sheilde can be broken by actual objects seems like a major design flaw. They could just throw rocks at a shield and break it then? I mean can still throw rock at the channeler but it just seems like maybe logain should have carried a pair of scissors or a needle or whatever :p)

Katherine

Post by Katherine » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:36 am

isabel wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:00 am
(Was the fight scene with dsworn kind of confusing to watch for others too? As someone said it felt like too few people and open battlefield sedai work seems kind of unimpressive? Like they were already losing, some red gets arrowed and then Alanna says you all go to logain and three of them will hold the fort and somehow they do? That whole bit seemed v odd. Also the guy shooting arrows at short range did not look realistic! Also sheilde can be broken by actual objects seems like a major design flaw. They could just throw rocks at a shield and break it then? I mean can still throw rock at the channeler but it just seems like maybe logain should have carried a pair of scissors or a needle or whatever :p)
That whole battle sequence seemed like background noise for what was going on in the tent with Logain.

It seemed inconsistent for the warders to find it funny that Nynaeve was able to track Lan, but they did not realize an entire *army* was tracking them down. I guess warders and Green Ajah Aes Sedai are not battle trained enough to know to send out pickets and outriders to give early warning in case anyone approaches? Wardings?

I can see the Aes Sedai and warders not being very organized and trained for this kind of battle on their own. Aes Sedai rarely fight against other people. Its even hinted that its uncommon for them to go north to help deal with trollocs unless the need is particular dire and even then they sometimes dont go (Malkier). During the Aiel War it seems they let their allies do most of the fighting and mainly support other armies in the field and advising commanders instead. That was not always the case. Going back over a thousand years to the trollocs wars, before the Three Oaths were formalized, Green sisters often commanded battles from the front lines. Its just not true as much in the current day of the shows.

The shield is woven primarily of spirit and has no physical characteristics. In fact in the book its not even clear it is something that surrounds the target. That whole scene seemed more like a duel using Holtzman shields from Dune. The slow blade penetrates the shield.... :roll:

Aira

Post by Aira » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:54 am

Katherine wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:36 am
Aes Sedai rarely fight against other people. Its even hinted that its uncommon for them to go north to help deal with trollocs unless the need is particular dire and even then they sometimes dont go (Malkier). During the Aiel War it seems they let their allies do most of the fighting and mainly support other armies in the field and advising commanders instead. That was not always the case. Going back over a thousand years to the trollocs wars, before the Three Oaths were formalized, Green sisters often commanded battles from the front lines. Its just not true as much in the current day of the shows.
I think the Aes Sedai rarely fight -period-.

I wonder if the fight scenes seeming small is because the people who attack the actors are the same 20ish stuntmen? Battle re-enactment isn't as big a thing on this side of the pond, so you can't just go "so, hey, you guys who dress up as colonials, come dress up as xxx and die?". In fact, the times I've seen it happen in the Netherlands, it was on national tv news. They've done Waterloo at times, but not the bigger type of events that I've seen stateside. Case in point, for the Gladiator opening scene, they used soldiers. Same as with LotR, incidentally. Different continent, same problem, same solution.

halfhand

Post by halfhand » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:46 am

Wife review:
She like the episode, and feels invested in the series now. She likes the style of the show and the costuming. She thinks Logaine was possessed by something that thinks its the Dragon, and thought Mat was the one that killed the family. She thinks that the black Saidin threads are the same thing as the Mashadar tendrils in Mat. She thinks the Dragon now is probably the redhead or the indian girl because they seem like it.

I did explain a few things about the One Power which helped make more sens for her. I wished that Amazon made better decisions with the Bonus Shorts that explain the background information. They don't even show up on our TV in Xray, and I'm sure that only 1% of viewers probably even watch them. They should have just stuck them at the end credits.

Alison

Post by Alison » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:16 am

Ya all skipped over the insta link between all of them. Loved it.

Great episode and my family who doesnt love fantasy is into it already. It helps to give others some extra info. Like Tam and Rand stuff.

Like our world here is different, so is the tv series. The essence is there. ill just wonder if they going to do Ogier.

Kind of miss the whole elyas thing as well.

they condensed the whitebridge fight vs thom and fade into a village fight.

Also Remember, when they start shooting book 2 (season 2) most of covid wouldve left the world and intimicy can return to the world. Eg people being closer together. Meanign better fights.

Do we know who the actress is for Elayne?

Kristine

Post by Kristine » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:51 am

Alison wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:16 am

Do we know who the actress is for Elayne?
Ceara Coveney

Nevirha

Post by Nevirha » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:17 am

Alison wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:16 am
ill just wonder if they going to do Ogier.
They have already cast Loial. I suspect he's going to show up in the next episode based on the description.