The Wheel of TIme Season 1 Episode 4 "The Dragon Reborn" Discussion

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
halfhand

Re: The Wheel of TIme Season 1 Episode 4 "The Dragon Reborn" Discussion

Post by halfhand » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:13 pm

FYI for anyone who dont have all the books yet or have nonreader friends that are into the show, Amazon currently has Wheel of Time book boxsets for Cyber Monday at 30-50% off.

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:13 pm

halfhand wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:46 am
Wife review:
She like the episode, and feels invested in the series now. She likes the style of the show and the costuming. She thinks Logaine was possessed by something that thinks its the Dragon, and thought Mat was the one that killed the family. She thinks that the black Saidin threads are the same thing as the Mashadar tendrils in Mat. She thinks the Dragon now is probably the redhead or the indian girl because they seem like it.

I did explain a few things about the One Power which helped make more sens for her. I wished that Amazon made better decisions with the Bonus Shorts that explain the background information. They don't even show up on our TV in Xray, and I'm sure that only 1% of viewers probably even watch them. They should have just stuck them at the end credits.
I like this a lot hearing how a person that hasn't read it finds the series and interprets what's happening. Keep episode review coming!

Also 100% agree on the useful additional content not being accessible or obvious.

Asandra

Post by Asandra » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:41 am

My partner was sure Nynaeve is the dragon after the heal bomb. She's also not sure who killed who in the family slaughter and before the ending thought Mat was the dragon going crazy.

Also she's liking the series after this episode which is a great plus for me as well!

Nevirha

Post by Nevirha » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:42 am

isabel wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:00 am
Also sheilde can be broken by actual objects seems like a major design flaw. They could just throw rocks at a shield and break it then?
My interpretation is that the Aes Sedai were trying to shield Logain and having trouble because he had already seized Saidin. The axes didn't break the shield, they went through it because there's no physical barrier. Then Logain reworked his weaving to break the axes apart and projectile them into people across the room. I don't think he was ever shielded in that scene as he had Saidin surrounding him before they tried to put the shield into place.

Ashlee

Post by Ashlee » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:38 pm

Nevirha wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:42 am
isabel wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:00 am
Also sheilde can be broken by actual objects seems like a major design flaw. They could just throw rocks at a shield and break it then?
My interpretation is that the Aes Sedai were trying to shield Logain and having trouble because he had already seized Saidin. The axes didn't break the shield, they went through it because there's no physical barrier. Then Logain reworked his weaving to break the axes apart and projectile them into people across the room. I don't think he was ever shielded in that scene as he had Saidin surrounding him before they tried to put the shield into place.
My thoughts exactly.

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:20 pm

I liked them all more than the previous, including episode 4. My only comment is yeah they didn't do a good job making it apparent that the weaves cannot be seen by the opposite sex or by non-channelers. My watching partner didn't pick up on that whatsoever - thought the king could see Logain's weaves around him, thought the warders could see the shield weaves around Logain when they entered the cave, etc.

Loved Logain's acting / costuming / CGI.

Katherine

Post by Katherine » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:01 pm

Reyne wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:20 pm
I liked them all more than the previous, including episode 4. My only comment is yeah they didn't do a good job making it apparent that the weaves cannot be seen by the opposite sex or by non-channelers. My watching partner didn't pick up on that whatsoever - thought the king could see Logain's weaves around him, thought the warders could see the shield weaves around Logain when they entered the cave, etc.

Loved Logain's acting / costuming / CGI.
My impression watching the episodes is that the writers are trying to simplify the True Source by removing a lot of the nuanced characteristics. The result is similar to the "magic" as we know it in other films and stories which audiences can understand more quickly due to familiarity. I wondered how Sanderson feels about this simplification because fleshing out nuanced and complex magic systems is definitely /his thing/. Its the common thread throughout all the books that take place in his Cosmere.

Interesting that some confuse Mashadar with saidin. That never occurred to me watching the shows, but the confusion is totally understandable because of how they are both rendered on screen using similar effects. The writers and special effects teams should've kept Mashadar like the books--much more like a shadow or silvery mist than the black stuff that crawls over surfaces.

halfhand

Post by halfhand » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:15 am

The most recent numbers on the Wheel of Time show and how its doing comparitively (https://www.parrotanalytics.com/insight ... mber-2021/)

It is number 6 overall and number 2 for digital originals, for last week in November:

1. Arcane 50.6x average demand
2. The Wheel of Time 45.2x
3. Stranger Things 37.7x
4. The Mandalorian 37.3X
5. Ted Lasso 29.4x
6. Titans 29.3x
7. Squid Game 28.3x
8. Star Trek Discovery 26.9X
9. The Witcher 26.1X
10. Hawkeye 25.3X

Although, obviously the caveat is that most of those did not have any new content (Stranger Things, Mandolorian, etc) and being evergreen titles. While, the more direct competitor would be Arcane which would have a higher boost being on a more popular platform.
Another interesting thing, is that despite being so old, GoT is still at 44.9X (although it may have some tail being mentioned so often in conjunction with WoT)

Mhaliah

Post by Mhaliah » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:44 pm

Im going to read through yall's posts, ill just say I hated it. And, unlike the first 3 episodes, when I re-watched it did not lessen my hatred.

The only thing I am really loving about this is how much people who have not read the books love it. My friend, who plays a WoT DnD game with us but hasn't read the books and doesn't know the magic system or lore loves the show so far.

Even she was confused why the axes affected the shield.

Also...
krul wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:43 am
ep4 is CRACKED
Is cracked good or bad?

Forgive and old man lol

Ok I have rewatched the episode 3 times now. (im really trying to like them).

4 things I really liked.

Rand's bow knowledge.
The Birgitte doll.
The development of Aram and Perrin relationship.
The emotion when Logain was gentled.

wade

Post by wade » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:23 pm

Would have been nasty if Thom played the band of the red hands dance with jack o' the shadows