The Wheel of TIme Season 1 Episode 1, 2, 3 Discussion Thread

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Ominas

Re: The Wheel of TIme Season 1 Episode 1, 2, 3 Discussion Thread

Post by Ominas » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:47 am

I get the irritation at the show. I still haven’t watched it. Just can’t bring myself to do it. Not overly keen. But, this is likely the one shot we have at a show. If it ever gets revamped again, which is crazy unlikely, it’ll be another 20/30 years.

So enjoy what you can. I know most of you are just discussing things but I hope you can also get some enjoyment out of it too.

It may not stick to the story and kind of suck but I hope it doesn’t get canceled.

Enoch

Post by Enoch » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:23 am

They showed "around 300" trollocs led by Fades, marching straight for EF while everyone was still in EF. To the vast majority of people (I assume) watching, who haven't read the books, that sloppy way of storytelling suggests that horde of trollocs will just roll through EF and nothing will be left. So no Luhan.

I can't imagine anyone not being confused and put off by the show when they later return to EF.

Unless for some reason they decide it's way better for the story to have EF wiped off the map completely.
I disagree here. Moiraine said that the horde was after their group and would leave EF alone if they left, chasing them instead of burning the town and killing everyone. They left to save EF, so EF should be fine.

Ominas wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:47 am
I get the irritation at the show. I still haven’t watched it. Just can’t bring myself to do it. Not overly keen. But, this is likely the one shot we have at a show. If it ever gets revamped again, which is crazy unlikely, it’ll be another 20/30 years.

So enjoy what you can. I know most of you are just discussing things but I hope you can also get some enjoyment out of it too.

It may not stick to the story and kind of suck but I hope it doesn’t get canceled.
I'm in agreement with ominas here. The show isn't perfect. No show could *ever* be perfect. There will be changes, sacrifices made. That's okay. I'm just along to enjoy the ride. This is likely the only screen adaptation we'll ever get. With that in mind, I like it so far - I just have to realize the main story is there, it just won't match perfectly to the books and every single minute detail that's been discussed, every word that's been picked apart over the last 20+ years.

iria

Post by iria » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:42 am

I hope it picks up a bit later after they've established all the characters and done the exposition they need to move stuff along. Agreed that it feels very fast paced, but then again if they hope to adapt a 14 long book series to a TV show and not spend the next 15 years doing it, thats what they gotta do.

I think the main thing that irked me really wrong is the Whitecloak fella telling Moiraine to seek out an Aes Sedai to heal her. I feel like there are some fundamental truths from the series they shouldn't deviate from.

I'm not sure if I'm trying to force myself to like it, I feel it is roughly on par with the Witcher for myself. Not super great GoT, but it seems okay and I've enjoyed the episodes so far, barring a few nuisances which I'm sure is pretty normal for such an undertaking. I am very optimistic about the cast, they seem to have nailed it across the board imo. especially Fain - am still a little iffy on Rand, but hopefully he won't turn out too bad.

I thought the opener for episode one was incredibly bad, wish they'd gone the route of showing either Lewis Therin doing his thing or if they'd shown what a Mad MC can do so people actually have an idea of why MCs are feared and hunted and the Breaking of the World was terrible. Feels like a super missed opportunity to just show that random fella in the beginning(was that Logain?) being caught so easily. Would've been better if we'd seen him wrecking havoc with the One Power on some city/village and then have the Red Ajah struggle a bit until they finally overcame him. It felt very lackluster and didn't convey the story of MCs being something to be feared. One good thing is I really liked how they showed the madness of the MC.

On the plus side I really liked how they did the dream sequences with the bats/wolves. So all in all am hopeful for the series and it about made my lowish expectations, despite having hoped for GoT level of production etc.

Rayven

Post by Rayven » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:10 am

iria wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:42 am
I think the main thing that irked me really wrong is the Whitecloak fella telling Moiraine to seek out an Aes Sedai to heal her. I feel like there are some fundamental truths from the series they shouldn't deviate from.
I actually liked this a ton because it gave the opportunity to have a lot more nuance between the Hand of Light and the questionners. I think toward the end of the books when you have CoL leadership making adjustments to their philosophy in order to collaborate with the Light then you have a lot more opportunities for CoL mindsets to come into contact with channelers and interact.

I hope, and give them the benefit of the doubt, that they're trying to clearly nuance a darker and sinister portion of the HoL (how we have always seen them) with the CoL. I think we'll get a bit, but that contrast on first engagement created more nuance for the *oL after the Eamon burning scene which, while they may walk it back and cliche the *oL as only torch wavers, gave more nuance to the *oL then they get in the books for a long time :P.

zankou

Post by zankou » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:03 pm

the only thing that really bothers me about this and almost all fantasy shows/movies, is that the chars all seem to have european accents. americans are nerds too geesh.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:26 pm

zankou wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:03 pm
the only thing that really bothers me about this and almost all fantasy shows/movies, is that the chars all seem to have european accents. americans are nerds too geesh.
Maybe they're saving American accent for Andor...

"Hooooeeey, gosh darn it, y'all look like ya traveled from sumbitch far away, dang....y'all came to see the Queen?! Bless your pea-pickin' little hearts!"

zankou

Post by zankou » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:33 pm

Kordin wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:26 pm
zankou wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:03 pm
Maybe they're saving American accent for Andor...

"Hooooeeey, gosh darn it, y'all look like ya traveled from sumbitch far away, dang....y'all came to see the Queen?! Bless your pea-pickin' little hearts!"

I certainly hope so!

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:50 pm

I heard they were gonna do german accents for the Seanchan!

“Doooont mention zeeeee war”

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:03 pm

Razhak wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:50 pm

*watching a sul'dam put an a'dam on a Sedai*

"Silvak...are we zee baddies?"

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:22 pm

Kordin wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:03 pm
Razhak wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:50 pm

*watching a sul'dam put an a'dam on a Sedai*

"Silvak...are we zee baddies?"
Balie Domon to his Seanchan wife as their ship is sinking..

“Get into the lifeboat! We are sinking!”

Her answer: “honey, what are you zinking about?”