Do you read short stories?

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Mangler

Do you read short stories?

Post by Mangler » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:51 pm

Well the title covers the question! I'm just curious, as avid players of a text based game you're probably the target market! As someone who writes short stories, I'm curious how many people read them? If so where?

I used to love picking up books of short story collections, and books like 'Warriors' and 'Legends' were great anthologies. Now I tend to read more online, and they're some of the few types of books I acutally prefer reading as an ebook.

Anyone else read short stories?

Livae

Re: Do you read short stories?

Post by Livae » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:05 am

Rogues
George RE Martin and Gardner Dozois.

A collection of stories by varied authors and genres. You guessed it about Roguish types.
Its very good.

Nettle

Post by Nettle » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:54 am

All the Books of Blood by Barker or the many collections by Lovecraft or Howard.

I like short stories, but I really don't actively seek them out.

Flarn

Post by Flarn » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:02 pm

I must agree with Nettle, all good choices listed there. Short fiction works better for my schedule

Mangler

Post by Mangler » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:21 am

If you haven't dont so then I recommend reading Unfettered - has a WoT short story which is quite enjoyable.

Also some free short story anthologies: http://news.microsoft.com/futurevisions/ and https://supporters.eff.org/donate/pwning-tomorrow

ecthus

Post by ecthus » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:30 pm

It's sort of a weird thing--I enjoy short stories but don't seek them out, and when I end up reading them it's generally because they've been assigned (or because I'm assigning them to my class.) I really prefer longer short stories that have room for more plot (think novella range.) Favorite short story writers are Poe, Gogol, and Murakami....and frame narratives like Arabian Nights or the Decameron.

chavaon

Post by chavaon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:49 am

I'll read them, but to me it's like drinking beer in shots. I don't even want to settle for the usual pint honestly, gimme a stein, a jug, wheel the damn barrel over here :P

idra

Post by idra » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:51 pm

I don't often read short stories except if they're by Stephen King, Ruth Rendell or other favorites. Poe was a true master of short stories. I've also read Lovecraft from time to time. I will have to check out Howard.