Change to Master Damage

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
blytzkrieg

Change to Master Damage

Post by blytzkrieg » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:18 am

I would like to take a moment to voice the concerns of more older players than just myself, without trying to sound like i'm whining about the situation. My worry is that for more than one player, this may be the final straw. I want to first point out that I primarily play a master warrior, and that I have been working pretty hard on fading him. The key phrase there: working pretty hard, lets remember that as we move forward.

Needless to say, many of the recent changes have been less than pleasing to me and others. First, warriors lose zerk attack, fine, channies complain that they're exploding too easy, ok. So they replace it with a SLIGHT damage reduction versus CERTAIN SELECTED MOBS (after an invincible testing period), but gives us nothing to rebalance PK scenarios. Yes, you could argue that warriors are more able to attack opponents while they are sitting at mob support, but really, in a 1v1 there is no rebalance. The weapons/equipment overhaul has hammered absers harder than combo/dodge as well. Sure, the abs weapons of today can land bashes decently, but even a mediocre PB can parry 185+ ob 75% or higher while bashed, nullifying a warrior's ability to do any damage. The only way to keep said abs warrior competitive is to upgrade their damage output even by just a little, but nope, you've put in the time and hard work to earn 1000 qps and get a bit of a damage buff, but now its the same as someone with 400 qps: far less than half. The abs specialty is now obsolete. Of course, one could argue that at r7, you get postures. Sure, very useful to people who have defense, the abs warrior gets an ob bonus to bring him to a max ob that easily gets parried while bashed, so what use is it really?

I know that I personally, and several people I have talked to since this change was announced are VERY unhappy with it. Many of us have WORKED PRETTY HARD to EARN our master damage bonus. We do not like seeing it just given to any John, George, and Steve who decides to do 5 or 6 quests to earn a couple ranks in their clan. Simply put, and without trying to sound elitist in any way: if you want the master damage, get out there and EARN IT. Put in the work that we all have before you, stop expecting your hand to be held and things to be given to you. It is a long road to get to 1000 quest points, but trust me, it is doable.

Thore

Re: Change to Master Damage

Post by Thore » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:49 am

I'm not sure how old of a player you are, but there have been far far far crazier things that have been changed on this game than what you just documented. Personally I think rank seven master damage was boring as heck. Pretty much everyone is rank seven these days, and if you aren't, you are just at a clearly calculatable disadvantage. This evens the playing field a lot. That's what the game needs. Whether everyone has an extra die in damage or everyone has no extra die and damage doesn't really matter.

People also don't give the Immortals enough credit. They make changes, they see how they play out, they change. They used to just not make changes. Do you remember that? Or the changes that made work god awful and they left them. Warrior damage mitigation went away. Now they get extra damage versus humans, which is pretty marginal, but it lines up with the same bonus hunters have. Seems like good design to mean. Sure, warriors don't have much incentive to be played, but I'm not sure if you remember there is very little incentive to play them between 1999 and whenever berserk attack was introduced. So at least they had a good run! And they'll be back, I'm confident they will undergo some changes yet, even though I have no insider knowledge.

If you think you're right you're being taken away from you I suggest one of two things: Play a different class to get some different perspective, or remember that this is a free to play game ran by volunteers and things will change, some changes you'll like some you won't. If you don't like them that much, check out a different game. I don't think many people will leave over this at all, and I'm not trying to sound rude, because I don't want anyone to leave, but if someone leaves over something like this, they haven't been playing this game that long and they're not a giant loss to the game. I think in a month or so it'll be in the rear view mirror and we'll be on to the next good change.

PS You still earned the highest level of rank damage, right? It wasn't taken away all together? It could have been... That's what I was hoping for at least lol

Edit - can those older players step up and say that they are concerned too? Knowing who has concerns pretty important. Right now it's just you saying there are some older players who have concerns..
Last edited by Thore on Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Naerin

Post by Naerin » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:51 am

Lol.

Trauma

Post by Trauma » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:10 pm

Seems like there is a real issue with finding a 'happy medium' on this game. It goes either vastly in one direction or the other. If something gets complained about enough it gets nerfed so hard its almost unuseable. Not picking on anyone and I know nothing about coding but its just what I've observed since returning.

As for warriors... I personally dont think a class should ever have 'a good run'. There are plenty of sharp people on this game that should be able to figure something out rather than nerfing them so hard you might as well just play an abs hunter. Hell, at least they get auto-track. There are some stubborn warriors out there that stick to their guns and ride it out, hoping/waiting for the buff they deserve.

I mean there have been so many changes I barely recognize the game from what it was. Stab, warriors, all the gear, master damage, rerolls, statting, etc. I mean what the hell happened? ;)

isabel

Post by isabel » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:21 pm

Blytz - I don't expect much of what you/i/other warriors have said to go through to people who haven't played warriors with the love and tears we have, but glad you put some of this out there.

Noah

Post by Noah » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:43 pm

My main concern is nerfing damage and ob, while max bash is stuck at 65%. It doesn’t matter if you have a 15 lbs or a 19 lbs weapon you’re gonna sit the majority of people at the exact same rate. And those that have high defense that warrants a 19 lbs weapon you don’t have enough ob to break defense bashed. And if you land 2/5, which I think is where they wanted the bash rate on dodge to be, you just ate 5 ice spikes and are dead or fleeing.

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:45 pm

You guys (specifically ds) and your dramatic over reactions crack me up.

You aren’t going to notice a difference in how the damage plays out just like you never really noticed before. And if you did notice, when say fighting a master, then I’d say the issue is more you and your pk iq, and less the damage.

This is just the newest thing to shed tears over.

Good change imms.

Agree with Isabel though, do better by warriors. I recommend setting up a period of time giving them the ability to change to hunters. Or something. I know I would.

Edit: I just heard some players were having meltdowns and saying they were going to quit over this? If that’s your reaction to a change that just happened…take care. I think that’s a great idea and I wish you well. Game will be better without you

Skurk

Post by Skurk » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:04 pm

Ominas wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:45 pm

Edit: I just heard some players were having meltdowns and saying they were going to quit over this? If that’s your reaction to a change that just happened…take care. I think that’s a great idea and I wish you well. Game will be better without you
lmfao this is so ruthless it made me laugh irl

Disagree on master damage not being noticable - added pre changes 2x as much as the average difference between saw toothed and wicked axe for example. Obviously it's just one more factor in pk which you need to play around - but is not nothing. Agree that it was a good change though, makes the playing field more balanced and masters still have postures etc.
Last edited by Skurk on Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:09 pm

Estimates are going to feel a little bit confusing at least, especially if people are incog / we don't know all the rank titles etc (isabel is certainly not going to keep a rank title like 'lady isabel lord major' :p).

Not sure how impactful the damage things are. I do think it's nice for clan/ranks to mean something. I wish it wasn't damage. Like if there was no damage diff at all across ranks, it would be nice.

But NO ONE ASKED US :lol:

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:14 pm

Yeah I think I’m most excited for everyone to get a little something. I think that’s awesome and fun.

<3 Skurk