Locate Life / Object

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Thore

Locate Life / Object

Post by Thore » Sun May 30, 2021 12:17 pm

I'm curious if any channelers have used either of these skills to benefit when PKing, whether it be troll raids down south, or PK up north? I have tried a few times and it seems like no one is ever locatable. Someone told me once, but I forget, how easy it is to get a no loc on dark side. Can we remove that or make it harder or make it once per boot or zone pop? I think it is detrimental to both sides to not be able to locate a troll or fade. Those players want PK. Locate promotes PK. Sure, you may think it's cheap if it's used to preemptively spot a raid or proactively port on someone who is low. But I guarantee the benefit outweighs that, where you actually get PK because you are being located.

Thoughts?

Lisette

Re: Locate Life / Object

Post by Lisette » Sun May 30, 2021 12:56 pm

It is not difficult in the slightest to use it to start PK. It is rarely useful mid-PK because SPs are better spent on other things. I only only use it mid-PK if we are short on track (like if I am fighting solo) and I genuinely don't know which way they went, or in areas where there are a lot of escape points (eg Andor).

Yes, no-locates are plentiful, but most people don't use them up north, or there are other things you can locate to get an idea of where the enemy is.

Thore

Post by Thore » Sun May 30, 2021 4:30 pm

Lisette wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:56 pm
It is not difficult in the slightest to use it to start PK. It is rarely useful mid-PK because SPs are better spent on other things. I only only use it mid-PK if we are short on track (like if I am fighting solo) and I genuinely don't know which way they went, or in areas where there are a lot of escape points (eg Andor).

Yes, no-locates are plentiful, but most people don't use them up north, or there are other things you can locate to get an idea of where the enemy is.
I don't think there are always better things to use SPS on. Let's talk about a specific example. Light side has spent three ticks looking for dark side around WB. You're the only channeler, and you have enough SPS left for a spike or a locate. But literally no one has a lead on where they are. Do you locate or do you spike? And if you locate objects, because you don't have life practiced, and you with, but we assume they're not in WB fade or another locate, do you get frustrated that they are all carrying no locates, when you just located belt or flesh? I certainly do. I have, multiple times. And I have multiple channelers, so I'm speaking with some semblance of experience.

Edit, up north that matters less because it's easier to find people to fight. But down south, anything south of FD, or west of FD, I always wish there was something I could locate to find a fight.

Lisette

Post by Lisette » Sun May 30, 2021 4:40 pm

There's an abundance of no-locate rooms in Andor anyways, and with silver medallions being the top end neck trinket, specific no-locate items (like splintered skull) usually aren't the issue. But sure, if there is generally no idea where the DS went, I'll run locates, by why would I be out of SPs at that point if we've been looking for 3 minutes with no sign of them?

Skurk

Post by Skurk » Sun May 30, 2021 4:42 pm

She literally said "unless we're short on track or in areas where there are lots of escapes like andor" before you gave the andor example, just sayin

Gretchen

Post by Gretchen » Sun May 30, 2021 6:44 pm

on alts i use loc object a lot

you loc ring or potion as not many mobs load them and it will give you a good idea of numbers/if any more are on route to the current pk
as for sps it dont take a lot

its a very useful weave

loc life is more for finding wandering mobs

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Sun May 30, 2021 7:21 pm

loc object corpse is a common one as well.

There's very easy to get no-locs on dark side for 24? gold(which you sell back for net zero cost) or something but there's so many massive amounts of different ways to get away raiding down south that it's often not worth the hastle of going and getting one after logging in. Sometimes raiding you want them to be able to find you as well.

My most common use of loc object is prob corpse to see how many stater trolls vs wellguards or to see if there's horse or dismembered corpses around.