Game Balance to Encourage Wholist Balance

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Yonio

Re: Game Balance to Encourage Wholist Balance

Post by Yonio » Tue May 25, 2021 4:57 am

Razhak wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 6:11 am
Make smobs less of DTs. Make it harder for the Razhaks to run in and trap people who are already low and/or AFK or under-eqd or who don't want to PK (but should be forced to, if attacked!) in doors. Give chase.
Two posts in and already my name is being dropped as a problem to smobbers..
Raz, I'm sorry. I have definitely been a dick to you. I hope you don't see that it's you as a person, but more of you as an example of a play style. Please forgive me.

Someone much wiser than I gave me today an example that rings true to me. I could name names, but I don't think I need to, I need to do that less. There are some players who treat player killing like smobbing. They almost are literally player smobbing instead of mob smobbing. Maybe there should be a new term to discuss this, splattering. SPLAYERing. sPLAYering. spLAYERing. It actually works on so many levels. If you pretend that mobs are players and have feelings too, you bet there are a s*** ton of hurt-feeling mobs. I mean they have to AFK to change a diaper! I guess what I'm saying is treat players like mobs? Mobs with feelings. Who just want to have a beer with you, and talk about WoTMUD. We're all figuratively family here. 21 years an addict, sign me up for WAA.

Yonio

Post by Yonio » Tue May 25, 2021 5:07 am

Kordin wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:41 pm
It's like one step forward, two steps back, one attempted step forward ending with a trip and stumble forward....
Hard disagree with this. This kind of sentiment discourages immortals from trying. If you take a step back and zoom out, perhaps hopefully you and everyone else will see that we are making forward moment. I would argue this forum post is direct proof of that, 3 years ago it would have already devolved to trash talking and shitbagging because someone took offense. Heck I started off this post not as nicely as I could have.

All of us players have great ideas for the way we want the game to work for us and those we play with, and the Immortals are actually spending the time to listen to it, don't you see that? That has generally not been the case for the past 20 years or so prior to this admin staff. And the head honcho is busy playing PlayStation 2 all day anyway... And we're still making progress.

Yonio

Post by Yonio » Tue May 25, 2021 5:12 am

I really should go to bed. But to Det's point : "I'd love if more clans were as accessible."

I'm living proof of having and planning a Kin with zero people knowing who I was, and I think zero people being able to figure out who I was based on my play style. I took the character from 0 to 100 and clanned purely with, I think, just being a nice guy (FC?). Clanning is not that hard, and I agree there should be automated quests into most of the justice clans, but seriously just try planning and don't be a dick. If the clan is inactive, mail admin and they will help you out. Trust me an inactive clan is full of active players in different clans at the time...

If anyone wants advice on how to clan Kin or Iron Fist, talk to me. I'm not going to give away secrets, but I can help you get clanned the same way I did, because it worked. I have always wanted a BT and WB... Along with the whole dang mud lol

Edit frick it's 2:13 why an I still up, to the "daily" quests, I think they are generally bad for the game to be honest. The good one is the Morat'torm one. The only way they are good is if they get players moving around the map on feet or horses. You can be 99.9% safe on the island doing your dailies everyday. That doesn't encourage any interactivity. At least KMG are dying in smobs. 60% death and 40% life I think appropriate - you D&Ders could use better numeric/dice examples than me.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Tue May 25, 2021 5:27 am

gok wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:16 am
I am sure this is difficult to code but on world of warcraft they had a system where you would get increased rewards for playing on the side (or even the role) who had less players. Perhaps this can be as simple as figuring out the fair balance between each race and awarding all players who are on the least numerous side above lvl 30 outside of the city 5 tps per hour. If this is difficult to code perhaps imms can hand out goodies/qps/tps to the appropriate side at their discretion.

Another option could be to promote events. for Example if 20 people are in a massive group pk then award them something. If a massive group of people do an rp event award them. The event Kryyg and Jestin setup was great and it resulted in a lot more activity.
Some games have daily log in rewards but not sure how that would work on a mud like this. Or what would be fair.

Events like festivals are rewarded, rewarding people for just being together....not sure why or how that would be rewarded if its just that - a big group of people.

In the end, those are also more manual work for Staff, albeit such bigger events usually do get the attention of Staff or maybe even some kind of involvement.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Tue May 25, 2021 5:40 am

Yonio wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:07 am
Kordin wrote:
It's like one step forward, two steps back, one attempted step forward ending with a trip and stumble forward....
Hard disagree with this. This kind of sentiment discourages immortals from trying.
I'd disagree and say that it's only if taken personally and/or once they themselves realize just how limited the game is for development.

I've sent in and written on forums a number of suggestions but usually it's not feasible due to amount of work behind it or no code access to it (yet?).

It's no secret what the state of development was/is for the game, and who has (all?) the answers for that but is a unicorn. A lot of things that are half made and zero notes anywhere, maybe cause there never were any or were lost with some old forums. Which is IMHO a far bigger con than anything else, but also doesn't mean there haven't been some amazing pros in the meantime as well. Also doesn't mean there's no appreciation for the work regardless of whether anyone agrees with it or not.

Yonio wrote:
If you take a step back and zoom out, perhaps hopefully you and everyone else will see that we are making forward moment. I would argue this forum post is direct proof of that, 3 years ago it would have already devolved to trash talking and shitbagging because someone took offense. Heck I started off this post not as nicely as I could have.
Mud is going forward, but again, IMHO due to state of certain things, I don't see it going past the "tempo" of "stumbling forward" or "snail walking". Which isn't a critique or trash talking, just how it is. I.E. How many times has been said that we don't get info on something coding related as no one has any clue when or if it'll get implemented by aforementioned unicorn.
Yonio wrote:
All of us players have great ideas for the way we want the game to work for us and those we play with, and the Immortals are actually spending the time to listen to it, don't you see that? That has generally not been the case for the past 20 years or so prior to this admin staff.
I see and know that, and that's not being argued at all.
Yonio wrote:
And the head honcho is busy playing PlayStation 2 all day anyway

Research? :D

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Tue May 25, 2021 5:42 am

Yonio wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:12 am
You can be 99.9% safe on the island doing your dailies everyday.
Or in a very blighted area.

Which leaves LS as the ones with the short stick :P

*puts on the anti-reee helmet* :mrgreen:

Yonio

Post by Yonio » Tue May 25, 2021 8:48 am

Kordin wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:40 am
Yonio wrote:
Kordin wrote:
Hard disagree with this. This kind of sentiment discourages immortals from trying.
I'd disagree and say that it's only if taken personally and/or once they themselves realize just how limited the game is for development.

I've sent in and written on forums a number of suggestions but usually it's not feasible due to amount of work behind it or no code access to it (yet?).

It's no secret what the state of development was/is for the game, and who has (all?) the answers for that but is a unicorn. A lot of things that are half made and zero notes anywhere, maybe cause there never were any or were lost with some old forums. Which is IMHO a far bigger con than anything else, but also doesn't mean there haven't been some amazing pros in the meantime as well. Also doesn't mean there's no appreciation for the work regardless of whether anyone agrees with it or not.
I should have clarified, I don't think that you specifically are doing that. I think that the general sentiment if a majority of people are doing it, and doing it in a way that's not as cordial as you may be, can become upsetting for Immortals.

Yonio wrote:
If you take a step back and zoom out, perhaps hopefully you and everyone else will see that we are making forward moment. I would argue this forum post is direct proof of that, 3 years ago it would have already devolved to trash talking and shitbagging because someone took offense. Heck I started off this post not as nicely as I could have.
Mud is going forward, but again, IMHO due to state of certain things, I don't see it going past the "tempo" of "stumbling forward" or "snail walking". Which isn't a critique or trash talking, just how it is. I.E. How many times has been said that we don't get info on something coding related as no one has any clue when or if it'll get implemented by aforementioned unicorn.
[/Quote]
If you'll allow it, I'd argue that we have more info and more coding and more access to anything right now than before Aennor ran off with the code and DOXxed the imms. Do you remember that? What was it, FlashWoT.zip or something? Still have it.. Itesh please learn from his mistakes. :D
Yonio wrote:
And the head honcho is busy playing PlayStation 2 all day anyway

Research? :D
Something ike that. What's the closest PS2 game to WoTMUD? Crap I'm tired.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue May 25, 2021 3:19 pm

Kordin wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:40 am
I think the point of frustration is more that players don't seem to get how limited the game is for development, even if several of us have spent years explaining. It gets worse if people don't keep up with forums, or go on long breaks and they miss these explanations, because it just becomes a repeat of variations of negative answers.

Let me tell you a true WoTmud story about prerolled stats:
"Oh, this should be simple, it just requires the mobol to match race and class and mobol can see either. So IF someone is WARRIOR and RACE TROLLOC then do the thing.
Mobol says 'No.'
Or rather, mobol says yes, no matter whether someone is a warrior, hunter or rogue.

And this is why DS has to say prerolledstats at the Well, instead of being able to do it wherever.

Now stay tuned for in a few months or a year or so, someone will ask why DS can't do prerolledstats anywhere. It'll happen.

arston

Post by arston » Tue May 25, 2021 5:15 pm

Thats.... actually news to me. I havent spent much time on DS but the couple times i was I asked on narrates about prerolled stats and was told that DS COULDNT use prerolled at all. So hearing you can if you are in a certain spot is useful. Though, ive only been playing for a year now and never spent much time scrolling through suggestions of changes from before i started playing because everything in the old posts was either implemented, not possible, or discarded, so it didn't seem like there was any point to it.

That being said, if someone more knowledgeable can summarize the main types of things that can and cant be implented, and some examples of common things that have been brought up a few times and dont work then it can catch people like me up to speed. Or, I can just stay out of discussions so I dont bring up ideas that have already been discussed multiple times.

vaheed

Post by vaheed » Tue May 25, 2021 6:04 pm

There used to be a famous NWIH list. It was basically anything fun.