Discussion: How to bring back old players

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Neveyan

Re: Discussion: How to bring back old players

Post by Neveyan » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:59 pm

I think this is the wrong discussion. I think the majority of effort by Imms should be on attracting new players. And I don't mean changes or working on making things easier to obtain. I mean marketing and onboarding process (think in terms of UX). 100 players online would be far more beneficial then all possible changes for old/existing players combined. If Imms diverted 90% of their efforts from satisfying the existing/oldie playerbase to attracting new players, maybe a donation round to fund a marketing campaign, I think you could do this.

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:06 pm

I don’t think they are allowed to have any monetary transactions of any kind. Per whatever was set up originally with Robert Jordan.

But I love where your heads at. Focus on statting more. Which they’ve seemed to do. And making the game and site as initial user friendly as possible.

Great post man

Thore

Post by Thore » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:08 pm

Neveyan wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:59 pm
I think this is the wrong discussion. I think the majority of effort by Imms should be on attracting new players. And I don't mean changes or working on making things easier to obtain. I mean marketing and onboarding process (think in terms of UX). 100 players online would be far more beneficial then all possible changes for old/existing players combined. If Imms diverted 90% of their efforts from satisfying the existing/oldie playerbase to attracting new players, maybe a donation round to fund a marketing campaign, I think you could do this.
This is good sentiment, however in the day and age where games and video games are designed almost to perfection, I think we need to quote clean up shop first unquote. Then, yes, I agree, attract all the new players. Gosh why doesn't voice to text let me use quotes...

Kathala

Post by Kathala » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:32 am

Mux wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:49 am
The time period I'm talking about is when there was 100+ players online at the same time. Raiding was very risky for darkies so it wasn't done very often. Nowadays, trolls (and seanchans too!) are all over the map all the time.
This is so strange to me, because when there were 100+ players online, I would be lucky to find no *badguys* around Two Rivers and Andor. Iria is in my timezone, I'm almost wondering if that's the explanation for her and my experience to be the same, while at the same time being vastly different to Mux'.

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:31 am

Kathala wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:32 am
Mux wrote:
The time period I'm talking about is when there was 100+ players online at the same time. Raiding was very risky for darkies so it wasn't done very often. Nowadays, trolls (and seanchans too!) are all over the map all the time.
This is so strange to me, because when there were 100+ players online, I would be lucky to find no *badguys* around Two Rivers and Andor. Iria is in my timezone, I'm almost wondering if that's the explanation for her and my experience to be the same, while at the same time being vastly different to Mux'.
Yeah I think Mux is confused. It was almost constant raiding as far as I can remember.

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:45 pm

Ominas wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:31 am
Kathala wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:32 am
Mux wrote:
Yeah I think Mux is confused. It was almost constant raiding as far as I can remember.
Indeed, both solo raiders and groups were much more common. Remember, this was also the time of group fade etc, so the chances of running into full groups of DS were alot bigger then they are now.

Thore

Post by Thore » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:11 pm

Raiding can still be awesome. I know I was solo part of a not so awesome raid (only partially because I died) the other day. I don't think it was fun for anyone except the fade/lvl 30 troll who took my abs... Maybe? Doubtful that was even much fun for them, though I don't know what their fun is. Starting to think maybe that WAS their fun.

Anyway, point being, we can still make small number raiding fun I think, with the right game designed to encourage it. The CTF patties are a great step. Maybe we need more and maybe we need to work out the kinks in them, I'm sure there are some? I haven't used them often.

Mux

Post by Mux » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:13 pm

I have seen this on many occassions on darkside:

Random unclanned troll narrates 'sup?'

Crickets... Not a single player even bothers to narrate "hi" or something. Everyone is very busy or afk. Five minutes later:

Elite pking fade narrates 'sup?'

Random troll 1 narrates 'My man! Wazzup??'
Random fade 1 narrates 'Hey Elite pking-fade!!'
Random troll 2 narrates 'Long time no seeeee!'
Random fade 2 narrates 'Yo Elite pking-fade!'

This might be quite off-putting to new and returning players.

arston

Post by arston » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:09 pm

With this in mind, I poked around some of the larger mudds to see how they did them, and what I noticed was that all the bigger ones that have 100's of people on at any time all have a super user-friendly optional tutorial zone at entry that spells out how to do basic commands and concepts of the game. Ross and Miloh are great, but I think they are a bit more intermediate level where you have to already be able to navigate around the city and work a piece of mobol, while if we had a small tutorial with stuff like: one rat or something that has a key and doesnt aggro in a locked room with 1 exit. then the mobol could explain shadoweyes and why they are bad, teach them to turn on notice, k rat, get key corpse, unlock door, and get out, so that they get the basics down. That way when they get to Ross's quests they dont spend forever fumbling with mobol stuff at the wrong mob (seen that happen several times, better to learn basics BEFORE you apply them in locations that you could mix up)

Thore

Post by Thore » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:49 pm

arston wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:09 pm
With this in mind, I poked around some of the larger mudds to see how they did them, and what I noticed was that all the bigger ones that have 100's of people on at any time all have a super user-friendly optional tutorial zone at entry that spells out how to do basic commands and concepts of the game. Ross and Miloh are great, but I think they are a bit more intermediate level where you have to already be able to navigate around the city and work a piece of mobol, while if we had a small tutorial with stuff like: one rat or something that has a key and doesnt aggro in a locked room with 1 exit. then the mobol could explain shadoweyes and why they are bad, teach them to turn on notice, k rat, get key corpse, unlock door, and get out, so that they get the basics down. That way when they get to Ross's quests they dont spend forever fumbling with mobol stuff at the wrong mob (seen that happen several times, better to learn basics BEFORE you apply them in locations that you could mix up)
Perhaps this is my calling to finish my imm application so I can make this tutorial :P Just kidding, no one wants that!