Discussion: How to bring back old players

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Roryn

Re: Discussion: How to bring back old players

Post by Roryn » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:22 pm

Isn't that just basically what the old Eye of the World was?

Vampa

Post by Vampa » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:04 pm

It was

Thore

Post by Thore » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:40 pm

Vampa wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:04 pm
It was
I never went in there - what happened to it?

Vampa

Post by Vampa » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:50 pm

I removed it.

Gretchen

Post by Gretchen » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:36 pm

what we need are glue traps and butterfly nets

Madin

Post by Madin » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:56 pm

Re-make the Ride the Roc quest. That was fun.

Stanislav

Post by Stanislav » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:11 pm

First step to bringing anyone back would be saving whoever is left.

We still have a bunch of 'OP' mechanics which are very hard to counter for an average player. Bonded channies, broken fear vials, channie targetting, city defenses, spamchanneling mobs, defensive eq being absurdly stronger than offensive and so on. Cities and mob support deserve a special highlight here because they were designed for much larger playerbase than we currently have. People get pissed off and quit if they spend hours raiding and starting pk just to get nothing or get mauled by mobs while taking risks.

My thoughts on changes that would spark interest for people who are pk oriented:
- Reduce garrison of all cities to the level of Blodfest camp or old EF. One strong patty or city head with no doors, one strong roaming patty(like fanico, tallanvor, blodfest, roahwin etc), bunch of roaming/chasing solo mobs, a pair of guards at shops(no doors too). Remove callmob.
- Remove all channeling mobs. All of them.
- Remove oil/arrows/boulders/sparrows(ones that drop a present on your shoulder!).
- Balance eq to the point where people can actually hit each other unbashed in combo most of the time. Dodge should be possible to bash by abs weapons and certain low-def combo weapons(lances, clubs), but not spears/swords.
- Make it possible to weave offensive weaves only on those who are fighting you directly(or you fighting them) or start on any target if you aren't engaged at all.
- Remove bond or make draining ratio 1:3 so bonded Sedai are less of immportal.
- Remove nohides except maybe taverns(so people actually have a place to rp and perform).
- Fix cure fear vials so they actually give protection against fade fear for few tics.
- Tone down strength of mob support like Ragan/Kajin/Commy to level of Mire/Blands patties and move them to open rooms(3-4 exits). These mobs are supposed to provide support in outnumbered fights, not to get free kills for players.
- Add engame content for clanned people(think Rodger already explained it) like significant clan bonuses, ls remorts and such.
- Make a way for people to upgrade their stats or reroll hps. There are plently of ways to do so. Bring back reroll chits or let people to reroll for a cost or let people to 'purchase' stats temporary or permanently. Everything is better than a reroll once in 3 years that gives you nothing but a salty feeling of being fked once again.

I am sure those who play ls have their ideas to add to the list. My thoughts are based on PoW of DS-only pvp oriented player. Those aren't only my thoughts, a lot of people wanted most of these changes over years. This game had a lot of people while it was thrilling, intresting and hardcore.

Btw, people don't stop playing games when they grow up or get families or whatever reasons were listed here. People still play, they do it less but still do. They just play other games, because WoTmud has nothing to offer them anymore. It feels like PvP was a major(main?) aspect which made this game unique for most players(there are plently of other muds/games to rp or grind eq). Make pk(especially solo) great again and people will be back!
Last edited by Stanislav on Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Janers

Post by Janers » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:53 am

As one recently returned, let's see what I have noticed.

I'm an european player, currently with a lot of time on my hands during the daytime, so that gives a slighly different view on things. Especially in regards as my character is not really a "everyone likes him" kinda guy ;).

Player numbers on LS are very low during the day (3-5 non-statter players). That means I have very limited things I can actually do (so get bored and may want to do something else.). e.g.:

I'm lvl 51, restatted, and there are not many Tower players on (that I can try to fight). If there are, they are Sedai/Warder pairs and quite honestly, my stab ain't going to cut it to fight them. So I may as well not even try. Then I want to do something else...but there is not really that much you can do solo. I'm looking for SMOBS I can take on myself, but there are very few spread about that you can solo effectively. Did I mention that I"m not well-liked across the globe because I fight fc's? That also hits me in group-activities. There are no group activities for me (next to the lower playerbase numbers). This effectively means there really ain't that much I can do as a HoL during my playtimes. So I go switch to some new unclanned alt and may join a tower smob group.

On those new alts, I then need to decide whether to join a clan. I could, but it is quite an timely investment, and now I have some spare hours to play per day I could do it, but for the foreseeable future I think it will become a detriment. I'd much rather play an established character and pk a little. I think gear is more easy to get these days, which is nice, but I"m not sure how well doable that is solo.

Again, my perspective is really from Janers PoV, whcih is different from other players on this MUD. But I think I'd have the same if I were to play my seanchan. Quite honestly I haven't bothered playing them yet, with the recent SS/LS changes. I'm not even sure what they all entail, as my characters are old and warranted everywhere. SO it seems like just playing Janers but differently. Now I"m purple, and even less liked. But it's still semi same-side pk, where now as seanchan you do'n't have your separate channels.

So I guess what I'm concluding to is that part of the problem is that you have low player numbers, while the mud is designed for high player numbers. I think tehre should be more things you can do solo, to keep you busy, where you don't rely on others (because they're quite honestly not there). If you can then do more stuff solo, and keep playing, maybe the numbers will grow again. I.e. somone like me will log on again, and actually be able to do something. Otehrwise he/she logs on, can't do anything, and logs off again.

edit:
I do like that a much more stuff is known these days. I.e. how stab is affected, charge, etc etc. What gear and what stats. Homeland statistics. That helps a lot.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:24 am

Also from EU, also (somewhat) recently returned again. Some people joke I return every 10 years... :D

While I also see low numbers, I do think there's more to do Solo now than there used to be. Some tips:
- I've heard projectiles are fun ;)
- More smobs stabbable than ever before I think
- Dynamic Events are OK
- Exping is 100x better Solo than it used to be

On another note, yes, playing a "hated" LS char on low playercount times is maybe a bad choice.
I'm not playing Mantas (PK! Trolloc Kill!) when there's 0 DS on.

There's other things to be done, if you create some alts.
Herb gathering, money collecting, etc.

On DS there's some quests to be done as trolloc, also Lokras has quests for clanned trollocs (granted, 1x a boot - but as boot is like 6AM EU time, that's often still possible)
Also especially the Tower has stepped things up, I'd say.
There's a few (some say boring, but hey!) quests to be done as Novice and a TON of well worked out quests to be done as Accepted. Nearly all of them Solo'able.

RP "Quests" as per Elysia's new post(s).
Solo, perfect for downtime.

Also Discord is a pretty nice place, even (or specifically?) at low numer times.

I've always been pretty much a solo player, but this game just gets a lot better if you play it with friends I've noticed lately.
Make some friends, wreak havok, smash face.

Aira

Post by Aira » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:33 am

Arguably, solo *oL is even harder than being Seanchan, because you get even less mob support. If a group comes after you, as Seanchan, you have stronger patrols than you do as *oL.

At least you're stab. As a bashy hunter, yeah no.