Questions about the shifting focus

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Fermin

Re: Questions about the shifting focus

Post by Fermin » Mon May 17, 2021 1:23 pm

Part 2: Global Quests

Here are my thoughts on global quests.

1. The portal stones concept is brilliant and allows immortals to pull stories from the books to allow characters to fight in them without advancing THIS worlds timeline (IE Dumani Wells of a similar world). This could be used to great effect and (I imagine) fun for immortals? The fight in Tear for the stone was honestly one of the funnest times I've had.

2. All master quests should be global and involve pk. I'm not saying that they should be more work, I'm saying the immortals could weave the storylines of a master into the broader story lines and that is very good for the game. It would give a sense of history and tie specific characters to specific events.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Mon May 17, 2021 1:34 pm

I appreciate the effort put in, but this has zero to do with encouraging people to go off and RP without some imm providing the entertainment. People generally already RP during events. Aka, see the part about pet peeves. Sorry. :(

tekela

Post by tekela » Mon May 17, 2021 1:45 pm

This doesn't really encourage general RP so much as it encourages the specific RP that's more in line with text-thespianism. There's a big difference between someone like, say, Firin, who RPs more than most realize and something more performative. Still, it's worth doing and a nice incentive for people who like that sort of thing, so RP Kudos for the effort.

I'm a little hung up on the consequences for cheating thing from a few pages back-- I get making the game less grindy for people who have less time and plenty has been done with that in mind -- allowance of stat-botting, exp, mastering, fading, etc. are all easy as pie relative to the past. On the same token, we're all adults probably approaching our 40s (except Rig, who still hasn't hit puberty) on a 28 year old game -- Busch League levels of cheating should be dealt with pretty harshly.

It won't stop people from cheating or sitting on their phones on newbies to listen to PK narrates or whatever they do now, but at least it establishes that you only have yourself to blame if you get caught and lose 100% of your QPs or ruin your character or whatever, not just the ones acquired from cheating.

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Mon May 17, 2021 3:04 pm

Ok, I reread the thread because I think I missed the point.

So, to encourage roleplay posts: 150 alt qps for RP related to the pre-dark clan and 25 alt qps after becoming evil.

All based on logs posted to the roleplay forums (can ask for review at 800 alt qps).

Darkfriend system has been rather a drain on the entire game, so giving them the task of adding roleplay seems appropriate to me. Darkfriend RP is really quite fun and good roleplaying baddies would be great for the whole game.

Just trying to provide on topic brainstorming!

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Mon May 17, 2021 3:46 pm

tekela wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:45 pm
not just the ones acquired from cheating.
People usually already get docked 3x. 10x for pk scalp shenanigans. It really doesn't pay.

On a more subject related note, I was kicking around some ideas for what RPers could earn through rp and came up with this. With a huge caveat of nfc if I can make it work. It might be that RP ranks are going to have to be manual, but if I can make a treasurer tally spit out an imm-written-down tally, then logically, I can do the same with RP qps. Meaning it would be stored ingame and forums going kerpoof wouldn't negate effort.

At any rate, these were some ideas for RP perks I had:
  • access to the skilled craftswoman <--- this one already exists.
  • give RPers of a certain 'rank' a unique horse. This could also be a clan horse re-visited and then change the mobol to only allow mounting by specific names.
  • make mobs have unique greetings to consistently well rped characters, e.g. a Whitebridge guard nodding at Wisdom Thena and his hand unconsciously drifting to his purse.
  • give a no-rent unique item to high end rpers, that they can design themselves. A non-weapon, non-rare, has to be visible (e.g. a cloak, dress, gloves).
  • hirable rooms for rpers to do things in, e.g. a tavern, a home, a wagon, a ship, a military camp e.g. a whole zone of scenery, a tournament grounds, a battlefield, a sick house, a derelict manor, a richly decorated manor. Not sure how to operate the mobol to hook said rooms up to various areas yet, but eh, everything starts with an idea.
  • ability to acquire standard mob types for rp that work like master mobs. Like a low level servant, squire, errand boy, sohjin, peasant, spouse, falconer, wagon driver or whatever.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Tue May 18, 2021 4:35 am

Elysia wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:46 pm
tekela wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:45 pm
not just the ones acquired from cheating.
At any rate, these were some ideas for RP perks I had:
  • access to the skilled craftswoman <--- this one already exists.
  • give RPers of a certain 'rank' a unique horse. This could also be a clan horse re-visited and then change the mobol to only allow mounting by specific names.
  • make mobs have unique greetings to consistently well rped characters, e.g. a Whitebridge guard nodding at Wisdom Thena and his hand unconsciously drifting to his purse.
  • give a no-rent unique item to high end rpers, that they can design themselves. A non-weapon, non-rare, has to be visible (e.g. a cloak, dress, gloves).
  • hirable rooms for rpers to do things in, e.g. a tavern, a home, a wagon, a ship, a military camp e.g. a whole zone of scenery, a tournament grounds, a battlefield, a sick house, a derelict manor, a richly decorated manor. Not sure how to operate the mobol to hook said rooms up to various areas yet, but eh, everything starts with an idea.
  • ability to acquire standard mob types for rp that work like master mobs. Like a low level servant, squire, errand boy, sohjin, peasant, spouse, falconer, wagon driver or whatever.
RP mounts would be nice goals to RP-work towards to. Would perhaps mount retools be an option, one that is easier to make? Depending on RP-rank/level one has.

Why no-rent items? Non-weapon, non-rare...If we have access to skilled craftswoman retools, what would be the point of this item?

Hireable rooms are a nice idea, perhaps something along these lines can be done with Valan Lucas. Especially for festivals.

Would hireable mobs be like a mix of show-mobs and master mobs? Order emotes, include s/jemote...maybe even reacting with unique greetings for certain people and/or clans?
Maybe a few tweaks to pets, to act more like that black labrador mob? Either the same thing - simply reacting in some way when something/someone dies, or randomly emoting something...instead of just existing and following.

Nunzio

Post by Nunzio » Tue May 18, 2021 8:30 am

One idea that came up while reading through this is making cities feel more alive. Would it be possible with mobol to make more mobs appear in a city the more players there are? Special things could happen if a certain threshold is reached (like in Caemlyn, the Queen comes out for a parade or something like that). Just making the cities feel busier and more alive could help add to the RP feel.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue May 18, 2021 4:08 pm

Nunzio wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:30 am
One idea that came up while reading through this is making cities feel more alive. Would it be possible with mobol to make more mobs appear in a city the more players there are? Special things could happen if a certain threshold is reached (like in Caemlyn, the Queen comes out for a parade or something like that). Just making the cities feel busier and more alive could help add to the RP feel.
Mmm, I don't immediately see a way to do that in the way you're suggesting.

@Kordin, I'm thinking along the lines of the Wisdom whatever mob that they can buy in Whitebridge. It wouldn't be a shop bought mob, but more like current mastermobs, low level, non-combat and taking orders from whoever "rallies" them, so to speak. E.g. who is their "boss". Adding semote mobol would be easy.

With retools, a true item wouldn't exactly be necessary, but there have been plenty of people asking for more permanent retools. There isn't any other way than making an item. As for no-rent, it would be crap if I were to design an item and that would slowly accumulate in the game over time and it would no longer be unique. Maybe no-take would be better for that.

We can't retool mobs, so retooling horses is a no-go. Much to my and everyone's chagrin. Horse eq might already be retoolable to the clan variant, depending on whether clans actually sent that in for the saddler. Clan horses had the clan variants. Personal horse eq retools on clan horses shouldn't be that much of a problem, I think.

Edited to add:
maybe add a way for people to have easier access to a snuff box, earrings, ruby bracelet, lockpick and items that are useless stat wise, but would set a person apart. Without having to murder innos or use an alt to murder innos. I'm also totally up for making more items like that once we have the ground work done.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue May 18, 2021 4:34 pm

If anyone has more ideas for perks, feel free to add them. The more perks, the better we can distribute them, making the gaps between the "ranks" smaller.

Nunzio

Post by Nunzio » Wed May 19, 2021 2:04 pm

Elysia wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:08 pm
Nunzio wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:30 am
Mmm, I don't immediately see a way to do that in the way you're suggesting.
So one instance of something spawning upon entering an area/zone is Zamara Khel (Mayene smob) where the planks spawn upon entering the zone. Could possibly piggyback off of that?